Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:05 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Where did you experience this? In stores, from workers? In restaurants, from servers? In the street, from passersby? I've been here 3 years now and I don't notice these things ... I drive a pretty boring 2007 car and dress ... shall we say ... boring ... (costco Jeans in winter, dockers, $20 shorts in summer ... nothing 'designer'). I can imagine getting 'eye rolls' if I drove a jacked up truck, or a 'ricer' car with loud exhaust ...

It seems like Scottsdale is one of the few places in the valley that has an active 'night scene'. I suspect people come from all over and are certainly not representative of the average resident.
I've lived in three different cities in the Valley over the decades I've been here, Scottsdale being one of them. Spent my share of time in Scottsdale even when I wasn't living there. My experience is the same as yours. And, I think it's very important to recognize, as you do, that many of the "posers" or "snobs" seen in Scottsdale clubs don't live there.

Scottsdale runs the gamut in terms of the economic status of residents, and, as others have suggested, has a lot to offer in terms of quality of life. Shopping, entertainment, trail system, nice neighborhoods in a wide range of age of home, amenities, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:15 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,650,142 times
Quote:
That's why Scottsdale has the reputation of being snobby.

Middle-class people trying to up their status and appearing to be upper-crust.

They don't call it the home of the $30-$40,000.00 millionaire for nothing.
Where have you seen these people? At Fashion Square? At the bars/clubs? At some of the eateries?

I'd probably say the majority of "those" type of people trying to act wealthy at different restaurants/clubs/stores/etc likely live in another part of the Valley. Scottsdale is a nice place to live but the housing isn't particularly cheap which means the average $30K/ year millionaire cannot afford to actually LIVE in Scottsdale. I'm not into the bar scene/club scene or into health spa's, shopping centers, etc. I'd much rather have a nice house on a lake than blowing my hard-earned money trying to appear wealthier than I really am. I'm perfectly happy driving my F-150 or Corvette down Scottsdale Rd. and not caring what others think I earn.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM

272 posts, read 606,743 times
Of the 14 yrs I lived in the valley, about 7 of those were spent in Scottsdale. Of all the people I met there, only one could qualify as a "$30K Millionaire" - he was a friend of my brother's, driving daddy's Mercedes and claiming it was his. On the flip side, my best friend (God rest his soul) wore Levis, Top Siders, drove a 10 yr old Toyota Celica, and was one of the most down-to-earth people I'd ever met.
He was also worth 7 figures. His family was worth 8 figures.
Maybe things have changed - but I saw little abject snobbery when I lived there.

And to put things in perspective: I lived within my means, and didn't feel as if people were looking down at me; my personal fortune at the time was just slightly more than zero.

I've managed to hang on to most of that...

Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,484,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Umm, yeah they do. "They" being people who try to feel better about themselves by putting down affluent towns in their area, and feeling they're above all that. Scarsdale, Beverly Hills, Turtle Creek, Coral Gables, etc all have similar detractors. It's pathetic, really. We get it JJ, you hate Scottsdale.
I like Scottsdale just as I like other valley cities. Scottsdale and Tempe both have good nightlife, shopping, dining, and a good bar scene.

But I don't like being snubbed or looked down on in a judgmental way by superficial people.

That's how I perceived the Scottsdale nightlife scene, if you're not a plastic Barbie or Ken, don't dress in the Neiman Marcus clothing line, or spend money you don't have, you're an outcast there.

I realize not all of Scottsdale is that way, mostly the oldtown area.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:51 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,470,764 times
I really don't get all of the Scottsdale bashing. I have found that people is Scottsdale (and Paradise Valley) tend to be much nicer/friendlier/more pleasant than anywhere else in the Phoenix area.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I really don't get all of the Scottsdale bashing. I have found that people is Scottsdale (and Paradise Valley) tend to be much nicer/friendlier/more pleasant than anywhere else in the Phoenix area.
I get tired of the bashing, too. Fact is, everyone has different perceptions of the people they encounter in any place, not just Scottsdale. Some base wide generalizations on one or two examples. Many of those encountered people don't even live in the city in question. You can find snobs and pleasant people, both, in any city, whether they live there or are just passing through.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 AM

14 posts, read 21,988 times
From My Experience Scottsdale is a great place to be. Iv'e lived in scottsdale for a while and I have never had a problem. Sure you get people who are snobby and like to throw money at million dollar houses, and get a $450,000 car. But It's not to possible to not meet those people anywhere. One of the reasons why I live in scottsdale is because it has one of the highest qualities of life in the Country because of the cleanliness, low unemployment, and great nightlife, shopping. I think the thing that people really don't like is the heat. But you will spend more time inside than out. Now as for the desert Iv'e always been quite fond of it. Its relaxing to see the cacti and natural beauty. So if you don't like the desert DONT LIVE HERE! Its common sense people don't come here and hate the city just because of the desert, if it's in Az expect a desert... Im tired of the negative comments just because of it being in a desert... I hope this can help out

Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM

555 posts, read 857,354 times
another Scottsdale bashing thread...reallly? Open your eyes and look at facts. Scottsdale is not full of '30K millionaires'. Most of the apartments around old town can be had for 600-800 a month

Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM

357 posts, read 709,618 times
I agree, I'm sick of the assumptions that just because I live in Scottsdale I'm either a snob, 30k milli, have plastic surgery, or am living off my parent's money. I bought a very nice townhome in Scottsdale with my own money, have a full time job, have brown hair, and don't go to the 6 or so obnoxious bars that Scottsdale is too well known for.

I live in Scottsdale, specifically right by Old Town, here are just a few reasons why I love living in Scottsdale:
- It's well maintained
- Very safe
- very quick police/fire response
- Good schools for when I one day have kids
- Close to friends and family
- Great restaurants, shopping, and yes, nightlife.
- Lower property tax than Phoenix (this was one factor when I was looking at townhomes in both Scottsdale and Phoenix)
- The green belt is less than half a mile from me for biking, running, etc.
- The walkability (for me, most of Scottsdale is not walkable). Being able to walk to the grocery store, dinner in Old Town, Fashion Square
- Scottsdale's Club Sar gym at $99/year
- Free trolley service, many options for transportation (cabs, pedicabs, golf carts, etc.) so I can go out to dinner, have a couple glasses of wine and not worry about driving home.

There are obviously disadvantages as well, like any area - you do run into the bleached blonde, clubbing type more than necessary but I know the main two areas to avoid those type of people, the W, and the bars along 75th street and overall I co-exist with those people. They go to their bars with $6 beers and I go to my bars with the $10 pitchers.

By the way, I agree other cities like Chandler and Ahwatukee are very nice and you can get better bang for your buck in a house but I don't have kids, pets, or any desire to live the type of lifestyle those areas provide right now in my life. They are great areas but just like Scottsdale, they're not for everyone. Anyways, just my $.02, hopefully it helps someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area