Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:29 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Now I just let em be until someone else complains
I have never hold one and don't care too but I agree with you 100%; I just let them be. If I see one in the house and I have any means to capture/carry them outside, ten I will. No creature goes out of its way to harm another, they attack only if they need to feed or feel threatened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 02:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
After holding a tarantula (Chilean Rose Hair), all other spiders just seem not so scary anymore. I used to kill every single one that I spot in the house. Now I just let em be until someone else complains
I wish more people were like you. Kudos to you!

All it takes is a little time getting to know spiders and Im almost 100% sure your fears will be gone. Then youll spend time actually laughing at how silly you used to be. Would you believe I used to be an arachnophobe?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxtoFla View Post
No doubt! Where are you hanging out, Steve-O?
Chicagoland. Im out in PHX a few times a year and spend many, many, many hours combing the desert, its a hobby of mine. Ive also owned many tarantulas over the years and have studied them extensively. I also spend alot of time in Missouri herping and invert hunting, its alot more fun and interesting than youd think. Nature is a blast to study, and once you get to know the critters, youll fear them no more.

Here is a great site to check out:

FieldHerpForum.com :: View Forum - The Forum

Old 09-18-2007, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 64,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicagoland. Im out in PHX a few times a year and spend many, many, many hours combing the desert, its a hobby of mine. Ive also owned many tarantulas over the years and have studied them extensively. I also spend alot of time in Missouri herping and invert hunting, its alot more fun and interesting than youd think. Nature is a blast to study, and once you get to know the critters, youll fear them no more.

Here is a great site to check out:

FieldHerpForum.com :: View Forum - The Forum
Oh I see, so you don't actually live here. I interpreted her question as it relates to living in developed areas in Phoenix, not if you are out combing the desert outside of the city. Of course you will encounter spiders, snakes, tarantulas, etc. if your out exploring the desert but my experience over the past 12 years is that inside the city confines....it's going to be rare if ever, I have never seen a snake or tarantula here...in the city.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxtoFla View Post
Oh I see, so you don't actually live here. I interpreted her question as it relates to living in developed areas in Phoenix, not if you are out combing the desert outside of the city. Of course you will encounter spiders, snakes, tarantulas, etc. if your out exploring the desert but my experience over the past 12 years is that inside the city confines....it's going to be rare if ever, I have never seen a snake or tarantula here...in the city.
To be honest, Ive found more stuff in my FIL's yard than out in various areas of the wide-open Sonoran Desert. Where mankind lives, they attract more "food" for snakes, scorpions, spiders to eat, etc. Ive hunted in the White Tanks, the Superstitions, the PMP, Camelback Mtn area, Tombstone area, Sedona area, 4 Peaks area, as well as numerous areas around Scottsdale and guess where I find the most stuff? Yup, in the Valley right around Phoenix.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
All it takes is a little time getting to know spiders and Im almost 100% sure your fears will be gone.
This is a very funny thread! So many of you made me laugh out loud!

About Steve-o's comment above, I say, "Yeah, right! Not! Not for me anyway!"

To all thinking about moving here, spiders are not bad here at all. We only see a few every once in a while, and they are not the dangerous ones.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:02 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,841 times
Thought I'd share these in this thread...

I found this black widow on the side of my house over the weekend.

*Click for full size*

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/638/dscn2302bw3.th.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-23-2007, 05:09 PM

Thats a big fat (and deadly) Latrodectus hesperus (western black widow). Nice find!

Old 10-23-2007, 06:00 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
To all thinking about moving here, spiders are not bad here at all. We only see a few every once in a while, and they are not the dangerous ones.
Oh come on! I can find a black widow in my garage, or in a crevice of my block wall or behind a patio chair that hasn't moved, or around the pool pump etc, etc, in about 5 minutes of looking. They are everywhere outside but extremely rare inside the house. I think that while they pose some potential threat to people, practically speaking BW bites are rare and BWs are easy to avoid. It is very easy to predict where they will be found and take appropriate caution. I put them down there with rattlesnakes on the threat list; you gotta be drunk or stupid to get bit by one. It's the scorpions that get you without warning.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
We have a jumping cactus. lol I have only found a widow in my house once. It was hiding in my closet. Poor thing, I had to spray it because I have kids. The only problem with widows is if you let them take up residence in your back yard the kids can get a bite. They are the only stupid well, (naive) ones who will reach into an unsuspecting place without looking. But an exterminator will get ride of them quite easily.
I've sworn I wouldn't talk about scorpions on here anymore! Just remember, the only thing to fear is fear itself. ha ha ha I do understand how you feel though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area