Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times

Advertisements

I still disagree with the "buy now" folks, regardless of where the real estate market is right now. You don't know the area well enough to know where you'd most like to live. Renting for a short time rather than buying a mistake makes more sense. You can buy once you have your feet more on the ground here... maybe once you find someone you want to have that family with, if that happens sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 04:09 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,033 times
When I lived in Philly I asked a local why there were few street signs, streets changed name every bend, and it was just generally hard to find your way around. He said it was because their attitude was, "If you don't know where you're going, go home to wherever you're from." It's different here. We welcome tourists, transplants, snowbirds, etc., for the most part. The street signs are consistently placed, large, well-lit and the streets don't change names (or curve) often. It's almost less of a 'classist' feel to me.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
I agree with observer53: Rent first. Get to know the area, the people at work, the people around town, and the weather before you buy. To me, the real estate market has picked up a little bit, but my opinion is based on what I'm seeing around me. I cannot offer any empirical data. I don't think waiting a year to buy is going to hurt you a whole heck of a lot. Also, consider living no more than 20 minutes away
from your job. Although it is easy to get around town certain commuting routes can be brutal.

To me, there are a few months of really nice weather: Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March and half of April. The rest of the year is pretty much hot, hotter and hotter than hell. Be advised we do have scorpions which is not that big of a deal to the locals.

The dry air can be an issue, but you can always get a humidifier in your living space and spray your nostrils with saline and you will be fine. Also, lotion up after showering. Just about everybody here does the same thing. No biggie.

People here are more laid back than back east. When the temperature outside is 100-115 nobody is going to give a rat's behind about Varvato shoes or Armani.

You'll find more people around here say hi, please and thank you, but you will run into a few who don't. Regardless, if you show good manners people will like you better and they won't look at you like you're from another planet. We do have our share of grouchy folks, but they tend to be older than you.

People here do keep to themselves. It's a western thing. Yet, it's fairly easy to strike a conversation with just about anybody. Plenty of single people around, just make sure you don't get involved with someone who has baggage/issues.

Good luck and welcome to the Phoenix metro area!

Last edited by EDnurse; 04-25-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,162 times
WOW what a response!

I definitely want to visit now, even if I will not be moving down! Though naturally I am curious about the mid summer heat and how it feels. If it seems likely that I will get the transfer I will check out Scottsdale, the night life and the local shopping venues and places I would frequent as a resident.

I looked at the real estate prices and almost want to buy something just because!

I will let you know what happens...maybe one day we will bump into each other!!!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,162 times
P.S.
How are the electric bills in the summer, say for a midsize 3 bedroom house? Keeping it just barely cool?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
Could be $300 a month or so depending on the square footage, direct sunlight or vaulted ceilings. Many people here set up an annualized rate with their utility company where their usage is averaged over a year and instead of paying a high bill 3-4 months of the year you may pay like $160 a month for the whole year.

Houses are expensive in Scottsdale. For your salary you will probably have to go to some outlying areas of the metro, or get an older small condo if you want to buy.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
I think buying now rather than later is a good idea for the same reason FMC2012 has given. The appraisal came back on the home I am buying and it appraised higher than the actual purchase price. Good luck and let all know what you've decided.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I was stranded in Phoenix for fifteen years and was so very glad to leave those hot summers behind me. I would see many neighbors go back home after one or two summers as it gets old going to the grocery store in the middle of the night when it cools down to 100.

Check your crime stats also as Phoenix is part of the main drug corridor from Mexico. You might want to read the local news for a few months to get a feel for the current situation. It is a very transient city so some neighbors aren't really there long enough to get to know well.

Droughts put a huge pressure on water there also and it is expected to be another dry year there from what I read a few weeks ago.

If you want to move there for your job, only you can decide whether you making an actual career
move or whether you need to keep your eye on different options. Once someone gets locked into a salary range, it can be hard to break out of it in the future.

Phoenix does have ASU, lots of neat tourist areas, as well as new cultural experiences at the Herd for example. Bring lots of sun screen if you decide to move there.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
I have read that it takes three years to adjust from cold to hot and one year to adjust from hot to cold, on average, of course. I'm finally getting use to it after four years (although I'm not in the Valey).

My son has eczema and is having a particularly nasty bout of it right now. However, it isn't an ongoing thing. He will get a small spot of it a few times a year. And since he is five, I think some of his triggers will be different from yours (like smearing peanut butter and jelly all over his cheeks and not washing it off, or chewing on his fingers--at least I'm hoping you're not doing that ).

In a different mode, if you will allow me to butt in on your relationship status--stop worrying about preparing for a family you don't have yet. That will only freak women out (and they will be able to tell, even if you think you didn't say anything about it). Go to Phoenix because it makes career sense and to have an adventure. I personally like the idea of renting, but if you buy a house, just a small two bedroom would work (an extra bed for all those winter guests!). Enjoy life!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
When I lived in Philly I asked a local why there were few street signs, streets changed name every bend, and it was just generally hard to find your way around. He said it was because their attitude was, "If you don't know where you're going, go home to wherever you're from." It's different here. We welcome tourists, transplants, snowbirds, etc., for the most part. The street signs are consistently placed, large, well-lit and the streets don't change names (or curve) often. It's almost less of a 'classist' feel to me.
I have always been treated very well in Philly. Has more style than NoVa/DC in many respects.

a) there really aren't that many homes for sale here.

b) the two month thing is about spot on.--I'm leaving for three months this Summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area