U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 AM

76 posts, read 140,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
A 6 foot wall runs about $20-$25 per linear foot installed. So figure on $2500~ish with hauling away the old fence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I don't know how representative this is but I recently got a quote for a small (5x5) section to hide some pool parts and it was $380, so around $15/SF. That'd make your job $3000ish. It might be a lot cheaper per SF for larger jobs, though, I have no idea.

That's weird you're seeing houses with partially walled yards. That's not common. We love our walls out here.
Thanks for the info, guys! Where we're seeing the partial walls is in some of the 55+ communities. Some of the houses have the back and (sometimes) one side walled, but not both sides.... or some homes have walls on all 3 sides, but it's not closed in by a gate and/or small wall at the sides of the house!

We have a dog and need to have a closed in back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,256 posts, read 10,957,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I was quoted 30 per linear foot, 6 feet high, and that would be for the 8 inch thick, commercial style block, not that thin stuff the builders throw up.
There is a big difference between the "privacy" walls the builders put up and a real block wall (like you're talking about). I can push on our privacy wall and I feel wiggle and would bet if I pushed hard enough it'd tumble over. Having done sound wall construction (freeway) a proper block wall should have rebar running up through the holes in the block and then concrete poured in after the wall is built to tie it to the foundation. Obviously builders don't do that (at least ours didn't).
I wonder, does anyone use Vinyl fencing here? We've seen it everywhere else we've lived from MT to GA. Doesn't fade, not supposed to warp but I wonder if it'd get brittle in the sun/heat we have here? Personally I'd rather have that then this ugly block we now have.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,275,704 times
There is some vinyl fencing near me. It does get brittle. It's expensive, too. Pretty, though.

I had one fence mason tell me a lot of the walls around yards were built to flex around roots, etc., not to be solid. So they're almost of a hinged design. They can get wonky over time but they crack less.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 AM

2,902 posts, read 3,421,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
There is a big difference between the "privacy" walls the builders put up and a real block wall (like you're talking about). I can push on our privacy wall and I feel wiggle and would bet if I pushed hard enough it'd tumble over. Having done sound wall construction (freeway) a proper block wall should have rebar running up through the holes in the block and then concrete poured in after the wall is built to tie it to the foundation. Obviously builders don't do that (at least ours didn't).
I wonder, does anyone use Vinyl fencing here? We've seen it everywhere else we've lived from MT to GA. Doesn't fade, not supposed to warp but I wonder if it'd get brittle in the sun/heat we have here? Personally I'd rather have that then this ugly block we now have.
The standard privacy walls are relatively cheap and go up fast. Yes, it might be possible to knock one down, but they don't fall on their own, and they do what they're designed to do - segregate your lawn from your neighbors.

FWIW, the main "pillars" of even that "cheap" 4" block wall should be standard 8" blocks with rebar running to the footing and the cavities filled with concrete. Those shouldn't be wobbly at all..

In a perfect world, every wall might be a 12" poured wall, stucco'ed on both sides, with rebar every six inches, and a footing that's four feet deep.

Perhaps with some laser-guided sound cannons (like those $500 Bose headphones) that will drown out your neighbor's dog when he starts barking...

But, you're not going to build that wall for ~$20 per linear foot, and even a fairly small lot needs a lot of fence or block... If your lot is 100 feet by 50 feet, that might be three-hundred feet of something... The difference in cost between 4" and 8" block could easily add three grand to an already large bill, with no real benefit to the homeowner, other than bragging rights... I'f you've got an extra couple of thousand laying around, certainly have those blocks stucco'ed & painted, that is a real improvement.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM

268 posts, read 221,112 times
If well constructed, there's no reason to go beyond 4" thickness, which is less expensive and will be in the $20-25/foot range for 6' height. Very solid if done right: someone from the city was out here and remarked on the build quality of the walls I'm having done. Should last for decades and do NOT flex.

Paint makes a big difference, especially when colormatched to go with the house. Stucco is a nice additional step, but I only did the front with stucco given the additional, substantial cost.

Plants/hedges/vines around them can also help, but make sure to go with
something that won't pose future root growth problems with the wall.

I'm going to put some low-level electrified wire all around the top of the fence once it's complete, to keep animals out/in.

Some like fence, some are indifferent or don't. Some of us like the privacy, reduced night lights and noise from neighbors, and being able to be outside in one's own world without staring at the neighbors, their backyards and in some cases, the junk they're oblivious to and have no shame about.

Last edited by sunluv; 04-26-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM

15,989 posts, read 18,812,499 times
I was thinking about walls while I was out this morning and how difficult my world would be without them. Take the simple matter of landscaping. I have a gold colored rock with plants along my walls. The guy next to me has a grass island surround by a red colored rock that comes up to his wall and then has his own plants along the wall. In the midwest world of the wall-less backyard, the choice of landscaping is grass, grass, or grass, But here, people might have grass, planters, palms, and dozens of shades of gravel that appeal to them. Without walls, we would just be a monolithic sea of something brown. Walls allow us to express our differences and take advantage of the myriad ways we can landscape our space in ways that don't intrude upon each other.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,275,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Paint makes a big difference, especially when colormatched to go with the house. Stucco is a nice additional step, but I only did the front with stucco given the additional, substantial cost.
Someone painted mine years ago and it looks like hell now. White paint falling off where water has hit it over the years, showing dark block underneath. I'd prefer to stucco it in a tinted stucco, and do it myself to save money. How hard could it be? You smear the gunk on the wall, right? I bet by the fourth or fifth panel you learn how to make it look ok.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,207,773 times
There may be a better reason for those stronger walls - this freak monsoon/microburst at Greenway and 40th street a few days ago toppled the cheaper walls. A microburst is like a mini-tornado that is localized in a small area, does its damage and then dissipates
Parts of the Valley left with severe damage following overnight monsoon storm - ABC15 Arizona
If you let the videos run, there are quite a few back to back on that link.

Here's a picture of some block wall damage. Not sure if anything could have protected this wall from a microburst, but not all the walls went down in that neighborhood. You can clearly see these are the cheaper, thinner blocks. I can see using those between two properties, but I think i would choose the heavier blocks for the walls facing the street.
Estimated cost of concrete block wall????-block-wall-down-2014-storm.jpg

Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM

388 posts, read 116,817 times
The're pretty common in the areas of California that I've visited as well. I even started a thread about them to find out the details. Question About Block Wall Fences

I think I'll like them too, though we do intend to paint (or stucco) ours a more pleasing color.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:11 PM

444 posts, read 193,219 times
In some of the retirement communities I've seen MLS listings where it looked like many of the homes didn't have any kind of fencing at all and I know I wouldn't like that kind of non-privacy factor. I can see having no back fence or an open metal type fence to a common area or golf course but with a typical sandwiched in development that we have many of in the Phoenix metro without some kind of fence? No way for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area