U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:53 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,309,901 times
Question Flowering plant that will live outside year around here?

Can someone suggest for myself and my neighbor a flowering plant that we can put in a ceramic pot that will live outside all year around here? Does any such plant exist?

Myself, I wouldn't care if the plant became more dormant in Winter, so long as it comes back in the Spring and flowers. My friend has to have a flowering plant all year around, so her requirements are a little tougher to fill probably.

We can't seem to think of any, and hope some plant lover here can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,323,683 times
Hibiscus? Really, most plants here don't go dormant.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM

13,779 posts, read 16,252,434 times
There are lots of flowering plants that will grow in a pot.. I can't think of one that will bloom all year offhand--- go to one of the better nurseries and ask!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 PM

808 posts, read 488,117 times
What about Lantana? That pretty much blooms almost all year. Will go more dormant in the colder months, but that doesn't last long either.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,581,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
What about Lantana? That pretty much blooms almost all year. Will go more dormant in the colder months, but that doesn't last long either.
We tried Lantana's but they were way too mess and left a mess on the patio so we got rid of them. Ended up with a couple Hibiscus but after a couple years they are not looking so good.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,788,470 times
I have these in three pots around my paver patio - but I forget their actual name!!

I tried several things and had trouble with the heat, or sun, or mess etc. Finally came up with these. You do still have to cut down the dead flowers once in awhile, but they dont fall on their own and make a mess.

Also, occassionally the green leafy (for lack of better word - its really more of a succulent looking thing) will grow over the edge of the pot (as in this pic), but I just trim it up and its fine - only happens once in awhile.

Oh - forgot to add - these flower all year long and dont even seem to have too much trouble with the cold - never had these die because of freeze - probably because the pots keep the soil pretty moist. In the summer these are in direct sun and never wilt - again I have these 3 pots connected to my drip system as part of the paver patio - so watering is never an issue.

So - just a suggestion
Attached Thumbnails
Flowering plant that will live outside year around here?-cimg0029.jpg  

Old 04-29-2012, 03:23 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,898,956 times
Bougainvillea. I don't know if you can put it in a pot, but it certainly flowers all over the place.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 4,624,537 times
I have 2 potted Gardenias that do well all year with a roof over them. They are flowering like crazy this spring. They need water every day in the summer and 2/week during the cooler times and no direct sunlight. They like indirect light and lots of it.
Bouganvilla can't handle deep frost. I lost all the leaves and flowers on one year before and had to prune like crazy in the spring after the freeze. It came back better than before, but I cover now during frost warnings.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,309,901 times
Seem everyone has the same problem with nothing here flowering all year.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,323,683 times
I think it's just a characteristic that most perennials blossom sometimes and not others. Nature works in cycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area