U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 33,222 times

Advertisements

Anyone get one of these photo radar speeding tickets from Arizona? I just got one in the mail from a camera in Scottsdale, AZ.

How did you respond to yours? Alot of posts out there saying that you should not respond; that they have to "serve" you for it to count and they don't serve all tickets. Some folks say they won't bother serving you if you are in a different state.

I wasn't speeding.. what a total scam. So I don't want to pay this fine. However, I also do not want to travel back there to plead my case.. Nor do I want my license suspended.

Any experiences/ advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM

484 posts, read 489,626 times
There is a period of I believe 90 days in which you must be formally served for the ticket to be valid. That means an officer showing up at your door or you clicking on the website listed on the ticket.
After that time period, it is dropped from the records.

Not definitive but check this site out:
Photo Radar - Red Light Camera

Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 26,474 times
Default camera speeding ticket

I wish I had gone online before I paid that ticket I got last week. $241.00 for going 36 mph in a 25mph zone. It's on Alice street off of 7th at the catholic school. The reason I sped up was to make the light which stays on green about 1 minute. I should have made them serve me. I'll know next time. Thanks for the info. What a sneaky way to make a buck, Phoenix!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 AM

21,963 posts, read 12,758,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing2wing628 View Post
I wish I had gone online before I paid that ticket I got last week. $241.00 for going 36 mph in a 25mph zone. It's on Alice street off of 7th at the catholic school. The reason I sped up was to make the light which stays on green about 1 minute. I should have made them serve me. I'll know next time. Thanks for the info. What a sneaky way to make a buck, Phoenix!
A woman, who ignored and sped through the red light, was killed at that intersection a few years ago. She was hit broadside by a driver who actually had the green light. A child who was in the car with her was injured. As were occupants of another car involved in the three car accident.

Never mind the fact that there are numerous school crosswalks in the area with KIDS using them.

Next time stay under the posted limit. It's a SCHOOL ZONE.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-10-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 AM

16,587 posts, read 20,285,471 times
I just caught myself wondering why this is in the OC forum.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM

7,945 posts, read 16,020,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donno-123 View Post
Anyone get one of these photo radar speeding tickets from Arizona? I just got one in the mail from a camera in Scottsdale, AZ.

How did you respond to yours? Alot of posts out there saying that you should not respond; that they have to "serve" you for it to count and they don't serve all tickets. Some folks say they won't bother serving you if you are in a different state.

I wasn't speeding.. what a total scam. So I don't want to pay this fine. However, I also do not want to travel back there to plead my case.. Nor do I want my license suspended.

Any experiences/ advice?
Unfortunately, Donno, most "caught" drivers claim the same thing . . . "I wasn't speeding."

The camera systems are fairly "foolproof" and many have tried your excuse before. JUST DOESN'T WORK.

GROW UP and act responsibly . . . PAY THE FINE AND MOVE ON.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 AM

14,117 posts, read 17,518,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
There is a period of I believe 90 days in which you must be formally served for the ticket to be valid. That means an officer showing up at your door or you clicking on the website listed on the ticket.
After that time period, it is dropped from the records.

Not definitive but check this site out:
Photo Radar - Red Light Camera
As noted in another thread, Scottsdale uses alternative service, so it's not that simple.

Quote:

But, by your own admission, you WERE speeding. Sneaky? No, there's no problem if there's no speeding on your part. If there's a problem with the light (which would be short if it's at a non-major cross street and only changes on demand) contact the City.

"Next time" just don't speed. Makes life much simpler.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,445,875 times
Quote:
You see that advice to ignore the tickets all the time. Some cities will serve you and then will charge for the cost of the service, I think.

I don't think photoradar is sneaky. I wish every school zone had a camera and everyone going over 28mph or so got a ticket in the mail.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:28 PM

583 posts, read 589,280 times
Photo radar is a scam, and AZ is a big scam. Private companies and the towns with cameras are screwing over the public so they can make money.

Every citizen that [mod cut--language] pays the fine is the reason all this dishonest politics [mod cut-- language] Until mass amounts of us stand up to this crooked state and their officials, and say no to their stealing and excessive policing, and threats of jail, nothing will change.

Let them [mod cut, again] serve you. I got 2 of those tickets in El Mirage at one time in September, don't have a physical mailing address, and am waiting it out.

[mod cut, again] Arizona will always be corrupt until we as the public stop being so stupid, and fight these corrupt neocons.

While some people are reckless drivers and should be stopped, most are not and the traffic laws exist to make money, not make us safer.

Last edited by observer53; 05-11-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 02:55 PM

14,117 posts, read 17,518,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Photo radar is a scam, and AZ is a big scam. Private companies and the towns with cameras are screwing over the public so they can make money.

Every citizen that [mod cut--language] pays the fine is the reason all this dishonest politics [mod cut-- language] Until mass amounts of us stand up to this crooked state and their officials, and say no to their stealing and excessive policing, and threats of jail, nothing will change.

Let them [mod cut, again] serve you. I got 2 of those tickets in El Mirage at one time in September, don't have a physical mailing address, and am waiting it out.

[mod cut, again] Arizona will always be corrupt until we as the public stop being so stupid, and fight these corrupt neocons.

While some people are reckless drivers and should be stopped, most are not and the traffic laws exist to make money, not make us safer.
Well, follow the traffic laws, and there's no financial incentive for cities to have these cameras any more (the state no longer has them). And, lots of other places have these cameras. I see that you hate it here, but please don't make it look like cities in Arizona are alone in having photo radar.

And, traffic laws do exist to make us safer. There's a financial penalty involved, yes, because there has to be a consequence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area