Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:10 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

PS - When it is nice here in Seattle, there is NO PLACE in the lower 48 states that is as beautiful. With the snowcapped mountains, the sparkling blue waters of Puget Sound and the emerald green of the foothills - it is simply gorgeous.
Just wish we had more days like that.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 09-20-2007 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 02:14 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
You all aren't falling for the cool week trick are you? Natives, shame on you! We always get the cool week, we all think it's the weather changing, and then a week later it's back up until Oct. 31st, sometimes Nov. Keep out your flip flops people, it's not quite over.
Well, it's definitely longer then a week if it's a trick. Looking at the next 10 days, it won't get past 100 and night time lows are in the low - mid 70s. I know 100 isn't exactly the most comfortable, but at least the real bad days are over and at least the mornings and evenings are cooler which makes a huge difference. Hell, it could be 115 outside everyday in the summer if before 10 AM and after 7 PM it still got down into the low 80s.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:38 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we are comparing Arizona and Chicago winters because we're in the Arizona forums and Steve-0 lives in Chicago.
The Arizona versus Chicago debate does seem to be a recurring theme on this forum.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:40 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
Why do people here seem to think there's only two choices in this world: the cold winters and humid summers back east or the brutally uncomfortable summers and mild winters in Phoenix? Believe me, there are so many other places west of the Rockies that have beautiful summers, milder, sunnier winters than back east, and overall great weather- and they're nicer cities, by far, than Phoenix (or Tucson). And no, I'm not talking about California. There are just so many other, IMO superior options out West to Phoenix in terms of both weather and overall quality of life. I love the southwest; but Phoenix would be about my last choice if I had to pick a location to live, even if weather was my first priority (which it isn't). Santa Fe, Reno, Flagstaff, Salt Lake, Denver/Boulder, CO Springs, Fort Collins, Boise, Eugene, Portland... the list goes on and on. All western cities, all affordable, and all vastly nicer cities with better overall weather more total months out of the year than Phoenix.
I couldn't have said it better, steve22! Phoenix is not the end all be all of all cities, even within the western US. Problem is, so many people here are from the upper midwest, so they've gone from one extreme to the other. There's a whole world of nice western cities that are in the middle of the two extremes, each with their own personalities and culture. Denver, where I'm from is a great example. I'm not saying that DEN is the end all/be all, in fact, I don't want everybody to move there -- but it's an example of a climate that is still dry and sunny year round, with almost no humidity, few bugs, and beautiful mountain scenery. Huge variations in the temperature, true, but the hottest temperature it's ever been in history was 105 degrees. The way the weather has been the last few days here in Phoenix is how Denver feels on its absolute hottest days in July and August. In fact, the average July/August day there is more like what the average October day feels like here. Plain and simple, you have to LOVE heat in order to love Phoenix.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 AM

124 posts, read 413,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Kids here (in my district) only have 7-8 weeks summer break. Daughter spent 3 weeks with us on vacation elsewhere, 1 week in horse camp, 1 week in scout camp, and 2 weeks at home in the pool or at our community water park or playing at friends houses. Tough summer. I hardly saw her. In return for the shorter summer break they get a week in mid-October with lovely weather, 2 weeks at Christmas with lovely weather, 2 weeks in March with lovely weather and assorted days off in the winter - again with lovely weather. I'm the one who gets cabin fever from the heat - not the kids.
Yeah 7-8 weeks to long when you cant enjoy any outdoor activities. Im happy you can take 3 weeks off from your job and leave, the average person cant afford to do that. And to think my kids go back to school in July is terrible there in school the hottest months July and August playing out there to me thats insane, And sorry but Im not one of these parents that just let there kids wonder outside if Im not out there watching them there not going out front and most of the time they go out back there out there for about 5 min and already back inside. As far as the whole pool thing goes unless you go early you can get severe Heat Exhaustion! Keep in mind Im a native and should be used to this RIGHT well guess again. Once again my kids and I can only handle so much even if your in a pool, then what do you do the rest of the day when you are in by 1 or 2? And sorry but 80 degrees doesnt really get me feeling all warm and toasty inside ready for Christmas. Last year we went to Chicago it was 20 degrees YES it was cold but its winter its suppose to be the Downtown was decked out with Christmas stuff everywhere the trees were bare it felt like Christmas I came home and decked out my house for Christmas! Unlike the year before when I didnt even put up a tree. But Yes im enjoying the weather this week but I do know it cant last to long it will go back up in due time! But yes at least the nights and mornings are nice but still cant turn my air off! When I can have the windows open all day thats when I know its nice!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorih View Post
It's not just the snow, but the relentless gloomy skies and the gray and brown landscape month after month. Walking around the mall sweating in boots and turtle necks carrying your heavy coat, scarf, gloves etc., is no picnic.
Come out here and sweat at a picnic with no clothes to carry, for that matter, wearing no clothes at all!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Well, it's definitely longer then a week if it's a trick. Looking at the next 10 days, it won't get past 100 and night time lows are in the low - mid 70s. I know 100 isn't exactly the most comfortable, but at least the real bad days are over and at least the mornings and evenings are cooler which makes a huge difference. Hell, it could be 115 outside everyday in the summer if before 10 AM and after 7 PM it still got down into the low 80s.
Your getting tricked by the weather gremlin,. It will go past 100 in the next month again. I promise you.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:31 AM

647 posts, read 3,341,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving AZ View Post
YES it was cold but its winter its suppose to be the Downtown was decked out with Christmas stuff everywhere the trees were bare it felt like Christmas I came home and decked out my house for Christmas!
This I agree with. While I hate the snow, Xmas doesn't have the same feel for me here as it did when we lived in places where it was cold and snowy at Xmas. There's nothing quite like that. And building snow forts and having snow ball fights all afternoon with your friends was fun when we were kids.

However, we've found a great solution - we go visit all our out of state friends and relatives at Xmas. We get a taste of cold and snow and stay just long enough for it to be fun and we leave before the novelty of dressing in layers, getting ready to leave a half hour early b/c we have to shovel snow out from around our car, and worrying about making the dreaded "blizzard run" to the grocery store with the rest of the town to stock up on milk and TP

Old 09-22-2007, 11:46 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
It's a gorgeous 79 degrees out...I love it!
This time of year the weather is absolutely awesome times ten. I just wish we could bottle it up and save for next June, but I am going to enjoy every bit of it now. Alaska, Hawaii, Bahamas...eat your heart out...

Old 09-22-2007, 11:51 AM

11 posts, read 34,238 times
Default Dr.Maria Ventouras/loved Arizona

How are all of you in Arizona? I lived in Arizona and I travel back whenever I get a chance to. I now live in NYC. I know this forum does not go to where I lived, however I want to tell all of you that I experienced living in Arizona. The stars at night, jumping in the pool anytime of the day or evening, after work, after school, the dry air, the beauty of the land. Enjoy yourselves. I will definately be back soon. Dr. Maria Ventouras
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area