Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,169,522 times

Advertisements

Hello Phoenix

My wife and I are planning a vacation on Labor Day weekend. One place we have talked about visiting in Phoenix. When we go out of town, we prefer to use public transit as opposed to renting a car. I admit, I know just about nothing about Phoenix. Does Phoenix have a good transit system, and are there forumers who regularly use the system? Could we survive a week in Phoenix without a car, assuming we are staying downtown or somewhere along a rail line/bus route?

Yes, I know, I can go to a website for Valley Metro and look at info. I am more interested in hearing from actual users of the system about how good or bad it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 AM

38,957 posts, read 50,883,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Hello Phoenix

My wife and I are planning a vacation on Labor Day weekend. One place we have talked about visiting in Phoenix. When we go out of town, we prefer to use public transit as opposed to renting a car. I admit, I know just about nothing about Phoenix. Does Phoenix have a good transit system, and are there forumers who regularly use the system? Could we survive a week in Phoenix without a car, assuming we are staying downtown or somewhere along a rail line/bus route?
Phoenix is a city that exists because of the automobile (and AC) . You absolutely must have a car to enjoy your trip. Don't even consider not getting one!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,197,031 times
Rent a car. Period.

If you're staying around downtown, and want to take a ride out to downtown Tempe/ASU, ride the rail if you like. But you will need a car to fully enjoy your experience, attractions here are VERY spread out, and it's too hot on Labor Day weekend for most public transit (public transit buses are markedly reduced in service on weekends, and many areas don't have good coverage).

Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,118,757 times
I think Phx over Labor Day with no car would be a punishment, not a vacation.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,159,863 times
As others have said, you can't visit Phoenix and not have transportation because nothing is close and for the most part our public transit system is lacking to non existent. You HAVE to drive everywhere.

No question, get the car.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,169,522 times
Bummer. Thanks all.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,751,375 times
rental cars are a rip-off. You could have a nice trip on the Light Rail.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,118,757 times
I figure all-day light rail passes for two will cost $7/day? A rental car can be found for under $20/day. For the cost of plane fare (I'm assuming), I'd rather spend a little more for comfort and access to places off the light rail line. The rail serves such a tiny portion of the area. A week is a long time.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 PM

568 posts, read 1,200,072 times
Phoenix is a great place to visit for much of the year, but imo (having lived here 10+ years) Labor Day is just about the most miserable time climate-wise that you could choose to visit. There's no way I would do that to my wife! lol
If you are seeing cheap hotel and resort rates for that time of year, there's a reason for that. I once visited Egypt during late August to save money when I was a budget-conscious college kid, but while it was fantastic overall, the heat was brutal and I would never recommend anyone else doing it that way.

If you don't mind spending more money, then I'd head for San Fran or Seattle to get the best of the weather and the light-rail options. Of course, for Labor Day it will probably be expensive and crowded. But so will anywhere that has decent climate.

Here in Phoenix light-rail is fine during the non-infernal months, but I don't think you'd enjoy waiting outside for trains in 110F+. I'd try to come back here during Nov-April...that's when the climate and beauty conspire to make Phoenix worthwhile.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM

3,603 posts, read 7,854,724 times
You could book at one of the resort-type hotels and stay at the hotel the entire time. Many have shuttles to the airport. This is pretty much the only way I could imagine visiting Phoenix without a car.

I was at one of the resort hotels that offered bargain room rates during the summer, with all the golf you can stand included.

For a non-car visit to the west, about the only places I can think of are SF, Portland, and Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area