U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-03-2012, 06:56 PM
 
Location: USA
3,966 posts, read 8,119,565 times
Reputation: 2170

Advertisements

So all the week I've been seeing contractors in bright orange vests sitting in lounge chairs on the side of the I-17. Anyone know whats going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM
 
656 posts, read 751,986 times
Reputation: 800
I don't personally know. But I was on the 51 yesterday and saw similar. I also saw a lot of police pulling cars over (at least 5 cops in the short 55 mph distance I was going). It reminded me of the story about police disguised as landscapers to catch speeders around the airport...

Phoenix police catch speeders at Sky Harbor Airport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
 
Location: USA
3,966 posts, read 8,119,565 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I don't personally know. But I was on the 51 yesterday and saw similar. I also saw a lot of police pulling cars over (at least 5 cops in the short 55 mph distance I was going). It reminded me of the story about police disguised as landscapers to catch speeders around the airport...

Phoenix police catch speeders at Sky Harbor Airport
That very well could be. But there are no cops, maybe they are probing it to see if it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Phoenix AZ
4,739 posts, read 7,897,969 times
Reputation: 6612
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
That very well could be. But there are no cops, maybe they are probing it to see if it's worth it.
I saw a couple of people pulled over on I-17 yesterday just north of the 101.
It looked like another "wolf-pack" crackdown. No way the road contractors are paying for people to sit in lawn chairs... They had to be cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 PM
 
27 posts, read 47,049 times
Reputation: 35
Most likely, traffic engineers doing traffic counts. Or lazy landscapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Riverside County / Maricopa County
1,679 posts, read 1,199,180 times
Reputation: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I saw a couple of people pulled over on I-17 yesterday just north of the 101.
It looked like another "wolf-pack" crackdown. No way the road contractors are paying for people to sit in lawn chairs... They had to be cops.
Highly unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...
35,518 posts, read 35,743,119 times
Reputation: 93502
Typical government projet. You see them all the time, 6 guys standing around the hole looking into the hole and no one moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
23,363 posts, read 30,993,367 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Typical government projet. You see them all the time, 6 guys standing around the hole looking into the hole and no one moving.
Oh please. The post said they were contractors for one thing. I managed a few projects in my days and things like this happen. You get your labor onsite before the materials and equipment, owner, inspectors, supervisors and on and on in various combinations. Ideally, it all comes together in a timely manner, but its rarely perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 PM
 
1,232 posts, read 2,266,304 times
Reputation: 658
I think they get breaks throughout the day, too, like other jobs give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top