Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,681 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any ideas on costs to add a pool to new construction in the Phoenix area? Most likely a play pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,838 times
Off the top of my head I would guess just < $20k for a basic play pool, without anything extra, (ie: no spa, salt water, in-ground cleaning heads, extra decking, etc.)

Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 PM

What would salt water take the costs too?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:54 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosievw View Post
What would salt water take the costs too?
add another $3-5K for salt water pool.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
add another $3-5K for salt water pool.
Seriously?! There is nothing special about a salt water pool. It is just a chlorine generator in the return line and a few bags of salt in the water. The generator costs about $1K max. Putting it in is a fairly simple DIY project and something a handyman could do for a couple hundred bucks tops.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,681,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Seriously?! There is nothing special about a salt water pool. It is just a chlorine generator in the return line and a few bags of salt in the water. The generator costs about $1K max. Putting it in is a fairly simple DIY project and something a handyman could do for a couple hundred bucks tops.
I think the key word here is " new construction" - the guys doing this kind of work know you've got the "money truck" in the driveway and they won't be bashful about asking for some... Basic pool "packages" advertised on Craigslist start at about $13k, but *everything* costs extra. You can spend $50k pretty easily and not buy all of those upgrades. While the individual components aren't that expensive, hiring someone to pull the whole package together into a "turn-key" backyard gets expensive really fast.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM

27 posts, read 97,984 times
Quote:
I agree with the $3-5K assertion being on the high side. We are converting a play pool to Salt after a resurfacing with Mini Pebble, and the cost is $1298. If you can't get a reasonable quote from your pool builder, have it added after by someone else. They usually can't start using salt until the finish has cured for 30 days anyway.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the input. We are just trying to make wise choices.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:26 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
Quote:
If they are having the pool built it would be much more cost effective to purchase it and have it installed with the pool. Another benefit is that the pool company will stand behind it and if something goes wrong he/she won't be out trying to figure out what is wrong themselves.

I can't imagine paying to build a pool and then start cutting it up and adding aftermarket parts right away. It only cost me $1200 to add a salt chlorine generator system when I built my pool and you're not going to find it aftermarket and have it installed for that. Also, it's not just the generator in the return line as it requires a special control panel that the generator and flow switch plug into which could be a bit more than the average DIY person can handle.

The the OP: I built my pool four years ago and it is a larger salt play pool and the cost was right at $30k. I had a few extras that are not standard on the cheaper play pools (larger flagstone deck, larger water feature, colored LED light, etc.).

Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
If they are having the pool built it would be much more cost effective to purchase it and have it installed with the pool. Another benefit is that the pool company will stand behind it and if something goes wrong he/she won't be out trying to figure out what is wrong themselves.

I can't imagine paying to build a pool and then start cutting it up and adding aftermarket parts right away. It only cost me $1200 to add a salt chlorine generator system when I built my pool.

The the OP: I built my pool four years ago and it is a larger salt play pool and the cost was right at $30k. I had a few extras that are not standard on the cheaper play pools (larger flagstone deck, larger water feature, colored LED light, etc.).
1200 bucks would be a reasonable up charge for it, but someone had posted that it would run $3-5K more. I would definitely retrofit for that differential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: