Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM

69 posts, read 156,378 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to the Phoenix area next month. We currently have 4 dogs and know, with renting, we are not likely to find a landlord who will allow that many. (We've been blessed that our landlord in Washington state allowed our 4 dogs.) Our original plan was to give one of our smaller dogs to a family member so that their other dog would have a friend and find another home for our Irish Setter because we know it's easier to find a landlord that allows small dogs (our other two are under 25 lbs). However, it's tearing us up to part ways with our 3 year old Setter.

Has anyone on these boards had any luck finding a house for rent with three dogs or is the norm in that area to allow only 2? Our plan has been to rent for a year or two before we buy a house otherwise if we were buying now, bringing him with us wouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl92 View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to the Phoenix area next month. We currently have 4 dogs and know, with renting, we are not likely to find a landlord who will allow that many. (We've been blessed that our landlord in Washington state allowed our 4 dogs.) Our original plan was to give one of our smaller dogs to a family member so that their other dog would have a friend and find another home for our Irish Setter because we know it's easier to find a landlord that allows small dogs (our other two are under 25 lbs). However, it's tearing us up to part ways with our 3 year old Setter.

Has anyone on these boards had any luck finding a house for rent with three dogs or is the norm in that area to allow only 2? Our plan has been to rent for a year or two before we buy a house otherwise if we were buying now, bringing him with us wouldn't be a problem.
As a log lover, I understand where you are coming from. But as a landlord I can give you some insight. Three dogs will present a problem for you in nicer homes and areas. If you are willing to rent in a less desirable neighborhood and less desirable house, you may find something easier, especially if you have good credit. So, I would say you need to keep this in mind, and if you come out to find a rental and can't find one to your liking that will go for three dogs, are you willing to live somewhere you might not like for a year or so. If you plan to continue to rent long term, it might be better to give the dog up, but I would wait and make that decision after you come out and try. It is also better if you can meet with and deal with the landlord yourself instead of going through a rental agency.

I had the exact same situation once in a townhouse I owned that allowed large dogs. A very nice couple came to look at it who I like very much, but then after 1/2 hour conversation they lowered the boom. They had 3 dogs, and two of them were large dogs. I agonized over it for a while, but finally caved, stating and making clear they understood the rules of the HOA and would agree. I also said they would need to provide a larger pet deposit.

My point of the story is face to face with the owner is best if you hope to get something nice. Hope this is helpful.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM

310 posts, read 1,160,128 times
I totally agree with modhatter.....talk with the landlord in person. Ask your current landlord to write a letter of recommendation for you. Offer up front to pay a higher pet deposit, if you are renting for a year offer to have the carpets professionally cleaned at six months and at the end of your lease. Look for houses that have tile in all the main areas. I rented previously with three dogs...big dogs, a golden retriever, a German shepherd, and an Australian shepherd. I was up front with the landlord, I also offered to him that he could come and do " spot" checks on the house to make sure the dogs weren't destroying the property. I think you will be able to find a place, you just need look a bit harder! Best of luck to you!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:55 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
All good advice. If the dogs have had ANY training, get documentation from the trainer too.

I put our dog (smaller breed) through the Canine Good Citizen testing just so that I could say to a potential landlord or B&B/hotel that he has passed this test, and I've got documentation to prove it. The fact that ours is a non-shedding breed has also helped a lot.

good luck. It's not impossible, but look at it this way: the less desirable house is more desirable than giving the dog to another home.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 PM

424 posts, read 952,964 times
As a landlord, I only allow one and would NEVER allow three. Everybody will say the dogs are well behaved, house broken, etc. Some how that wasn't the case when they moved out.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM

344 posts, read 812,674 times
It's going to be difficult to find someone willing to allow this, unless as someone mentioned, a house in a lesser neighborhood is found. Which could work.

Either way it'll be a numbers game, trying sufficient numbers of houses to find the one that will allow it.

Be flexible and try to think of different options. One would be to leave all of them where you are, come here and rent for just a month or three with the intent of finding a house in the next few months.

Another would be to leave one or more dog back as planned, but only for the short term while finding a house quickly.

Etc.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
We just rented our Vistancia home to a nice family that had a large dog. We have had Mastiffs most of our lives, so big dogs are not an issue with us and I would rent to a nice, solid family with three larger dogs...no Pitbulls however.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,080 times
The bad apples ruin it for the good apples. I have 5 dogs , 2 large. People that all know me are so surprised because my house is very clean, and well cared for. They can not believe I have dogs!
No smells, no destruction. Would I rent to me? Yep... I have also seen people whos dogs chew up the house, the walls . No training, etc. .... So when renting, most are going to to go the safe bet.

Look into homes that have NO CARPET. They may be more willing to work with you.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl92 View Post

I don't think 3 dogs is all that different from 2, and a Setter isn't exactly a rottie. I think landlords are either dog friendly or not. With 2 or 3, you need a house and you need a dog-friendly house. Offer a large extra deposit, if you can.

Or just buy now instead of in two years if you can. It might be a smaller house than you hoped for but you'll have all your pets and can upgrade later with all the equity you have from not having rented for those 2 years.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
There are plenty of homes, mini ranches around here for rent. They not only allow dogs but farm animals and horses. They wouldn't care about 3 dogs.
That said, my neighbors are renters and they have 2 large Mastiffs, obviously it's not a problem for them. Unless they didn't tell the landlord about the new pup.
Some people just say they have one and pay the deposit.
My only bummer as their direct neighbor is the "fly" factor. Their dogs big poopies brought an end to good outdoor bbqs. But they are nice dogs, a bit barky with the new Mastiff pup but I don't mind dog barking. Some people don't like it in close neighborhoods, which a lot of ours are.
If you are uncomfortable about having 3 dogs try some ranch houses. Lots of running room for the pups and you can feel good about it.

In Queen Creek, Maricopa City, and San Tan you can get a 3 acre home for rent for about 800 to 1000 dollars with 3 or 4 bedrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area