Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times

Advertisements

Ran across something in a listing today that I hadn't seen before. It mentioned CFD fees. This was for the city of Buckeye. I found the fees, and for a $100,000 house it would be over $600 per year in additiion to over $1300 property taxes.

Is this just a Buckeye thing or is this something that I need to watch out for in other towns as well?

Buying in Arizona is unlike anywhere I've ever been before. I'm running into all kinds of things I never even knew existed so wouldn't have thought to check before buying a home. I wonder what other unusual fees there are to beware of in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
I'm not sure what CFD is but I'm assuming it's the Fire Dept. I got a place in Mesa. It's in a county island so the city fire dept. doesn't get paid thru taxes to service this area so I can opt to pay the fire and rescue a yearly fee on top of the property taxes.
It kind of sucks but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Small price to pay to live in the sunshine 300 days a year. lol.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
I never heard of CFD fees and I lived in Mesa and Queen Creek. Looking at the Town of Buckeye's website, it appears to be a bond payback.

It's still not a bad deal IMO, since $1300/year property taxes is a steal. Even adding $600 to it, it's still cheaper than many other areas of the country.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 PM

81 posts, read 172,167 times
Look up Mello-Roos i.e. Community Facilities District

Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the info. Is there somewhere that lists all the towns in Arizona that have this fee? I googled but haven't found a list of towns, just states.

Quote:
It's still not a bad deal IMO, since $1300/year property taxes is a steal. Even adding $600 to it, it's still cheaper than many other areas of the country.
I'm used to paying $400 in property taxes for my house on 1.5 acres where I live now, plus $60 fire tax, so I'm having sticker shock right now. I was prepared for the property taxes and HOA fees, but not CFD fees since I've never heard of such a thing.

Between high (compared to here) property taxes, CFD fees, HOA fees (which we don't have here), all the taxes and fees alone amount to about half of my current mortgage. So if I can find a list of the cities with CFD fees, I can remove them from my list of possibilities. That'll leave me more money available per month for the actual mortgage.

Any other fees I should be aware of that aren't found in other parts of the country?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
Thanks for the info. Is there somewhere that lists all the towns in Arizona that have this fee? I googled but haven't found a list of towns, just states.

I'm used to paying $400 in property taxes for my house on 1.5 acres where I live now, plus $60 fire tax, so I'm having sticker shock right now. I was prepared for the property taxes and HOA fees, but not CFD fees since I've never heard of such a thing.

Between high (compared to here) property taxes, CFD fees, HOA fees (which we don't have here), all the taxes and fees alone amount to about half of my current mortgage. So if I can find a list of the cities with CFD fees, I can remove them from my list of possibilities. That'll leave me more money available per month for the actual mortgage.

Any other fees I should be aware of that aren't found in other parts of the country?

As I mentioned, if you find a house that is in a "county island", there will be an optional fee for the fire dept, EMT and ambulance. A county island is where the city for some reason has not yet annexed that small area but the city itself surrounds that area and the area is serviced by the city. In my case, it's Mesa. I get my water, trash and all the other services from the city of Mesa yet I don't actually live within the city but my development is surrounded on all 4 sides by the city of Mesa. Since I don't pay some of the city taxes, fire and rescue isn't included in my services so the bill me separately.
If you find a house in one of those "islands", check out the taxes and what is and is not included.
Just a heads up.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
If you think those taxes/fees are high look at California. They have property taxes and Mello-Roos fees like ten times higher than here.

Where do you live now with $400/year taxes? Little House on the Prairie? Is there a school with a teacher?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
That's what I want to know: Where do you live now with such low property tax?

I have friends and family on Long Island (NY). The property taxes there are in the vicinity of $7k/year for a crappy neighborhood and slightly upwards of $20k/year for better areas.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Thanks, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post

Where do you live now with $400/year taxes? Little House on the Prairie? Is there a school with a teacher?
I live in TN. Yep, we have schools and teachers. I'm outside of city limits, so I pay less than city limits, but theirs includes fire and trash, and my fire is separate, so there's not a huge difference. Cost of living is pretty cheap here. Low property taxes, no state income tax. If it weren't for the rotten weather, ticks, and being eaten alive by mosquitoes unless you cover yourself with insect repellent every time you step outside, it wouldn't be too bad a place to live.

I prepared myself for much higher property taxes in Arizona, but I think I'll be looking at places that don't have the CFD fees and I'll try to avoid a "county island" too.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
The CFD should be easy to avoid. HOA, too, if you don't mind a little older neighborhood. Really, compared to most major metro areas, the property taxes here are low. The cost of a county island might be about the same as in-county, once you compare the separate fees to the in-county taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area