Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM

162 posts, read 430,199 times

Advertisements

Steve... HUH? are you serious? apparently you're like the rich guy I mentioned earlier. $2400 PER UNIT TO INSTALL? What the Moderator cut: snip do these people think they're doing? digging for gold? Moderator cut: snip It takes less than a day to install an AC unit. I'm not paying someone $2400 PER UNIT for five hours of work. Moderator cut: snip is wrong with this world? I'm a degree in computer science and engineering and I don't make that much for half a day's work. I have performed maintenance and repairs on my AC systems, so I know quite a bit about them, in fact the only thing I don't have is the licensing and the tools for handling refrigerant. This can't be rocket science. If I didn't know a thing about HVAC I'd have to trust them but I know it's not rocket science so I know better.

Last edited by Kimballette; 05-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,130,787 times
I would get 4-5 quotes from companies people recommend and from there you should be able to get a little bit of a feel for what is the ballpark most pros are going to charge.

Maybe you can have it shipped to you, then hire a crane on your own to lift it, and hire an A/C guy to do the refrigerant part, and do the rest yourself.

A smaller house someday might be a big help, with tight finances. I can't imagine paying the bill for three A/C units to run. I've yet to meet anyone who got real significant bill relief from new units, either.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,671,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendesert View Post
Steve... HUH? are you serious? apparently you're like the rich guy I mentioned earlier. $2400 PER UNIT TO INSTALL? What the Moderator cut: snip do these people think they're doing? digging for gold? Moderator cut: snip It takes less than a day to install an AC unit. I'm not paying someone $2400 PER UNIT for five hours of work. Moderator cut: snip is wrong with this world? I'm a degree in computer science and engineering and I don't make that much for half a day's work. I have performed maintenance and repairs on my AC systems, so I know quite a bit about them, in fact the only thing I don't have is the licensing and the tools for handling refrigerant. This can't be rocket science. If I didn't know a thing about HVAC I'd have to trust them but I know it's not rocket science so I know better.
He may be thinking of "split systems" where you have to weld the tubing & fabricate intake & exhaust plenums. $2400 might be a fair price for that, but a package system is super quick & easy to swap out, it shouldn't cost anywhere near that.

Last edited by Kimballette; 05-10-2012 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 05-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I would get 4-5 quotes from companies people recommend and from there you should be able to get a little bit of a feel for what is the ballpark most pros are going to charge.

Maybe you can have it shipped to you, then hire a crane on your own to lift it, and hire an A/C guy to do the refrigerant part, and do the rest yourself.

A smaller house someday might be a big help, with tight finances. I can't imagine paying the bill for three A/C units to run. I've yet to meet anyone who got real significant bill relief from new units, either.
You don't have to do anything with the refrigerant on a package unit, except to check the line pressures after its running. The crane companies charge about $100~ish for their part of the job.

Fwiw, it's worth a hundred bucks just to see them do it!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:01 PM

For those that are interested, here's a package unit replacement...

The mount - this is a "curbing style" mount - it makes for a cleaner look i.m.h.o..

A heat pump flying through the air... on a fairly windy day!

and a finished install...

Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 PM

72 posts, read 137,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
There are several companies that sell home warranties that cover A/C repair/replacement among other items. Typically around $400 or so a year. If you bought your home through an agent, I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned.
Quick question: since this unit is so old, is it possible that the insurance company just claim it's the time for it to die rather than, say admit it as broken and need to be repaired?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talich View Post
Quick question: since this unit is so old, is it possible that the insurance company just claim it's the time for it to die rather than, say admit it as broken and need to be repaired?
No, they won't do that, but they will do whatever duct-tape repairs they can to limp it out of warranty, and many warranties also have a max payout for a/c systems, so they might kick in $xxx and tell you to handle it yourself. Warranties are only as good as the people behind them.

The last one that I read all the fine print on basically had so many exclusions as to be worthless. Every common situation I have ever paid for would have been excluded anyway.

The short sale home I purchased recently had a warranty that the previous owner had used several times - the owner left the receipts - they charged him $50 per occurance several times, for things like outlets and a couple of circuit breakers. Just calling a handyman would have been cheaper than his deductible, but the former owner believed he "scored" on those repairs...

Old 05-10-2012, 04:14 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,775,158 times
My last install of a thru-the wall LG was DIY, but the last one before that was a mini-split system, 12,000 btu. The charged me 9 Dollars to install plus 15 for the rack. Total 380. It wasn't around here but it's the same stuff and the same skills. I don't think services are worth 100X here.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:16 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,775,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talich View Post

People believing that, is how the racket works.....my dishes looked like an elephant crapped on them....their response (Crown).."we only guarantee them to run."

Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 PM

19,425 posts, read 27,793,477 times
We've had Old Republic for 4.5 years. On separate occasions, they replaced two hot water heaters (one in the garage, one under the sink), repaired one dishwasher, and two garage door openers for us without hassle or complaint. Deductible was $50 for the first 3 years, then increased to $65.

We kept the warranty primarily because of the two a/c units, which thankfully we've never had problems with.

I admit, our prior home warranty company was poor. This one I'd recommend and buy from again. And no, I don't work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area