U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 AM

27 posts, read 42,410 times
A couple of the big colorful balls from Walmart floating in the pool seems to keep them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,349,494 times
Oh that's a good idea. I have birds that drink while standing on the little wall between the pool and spa. So far I'm not finding droppings but I'm thinking I might wedge in a raft or some tubes there, if I do, during summer. I don't mind them drinking the water if they're clean about it, though.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:16 PM

90 posts, read 47,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
My neighbor has a koi pond, well, it's just a pond now. Right after he stalked it with thousands of dollars of fish an eagle came and had lunch. He watched one at a time as the large bird had a thousand dollar dinner. lol

Ha!!! I used to have that problem with some migratory egrets and herons who'd go after the fish in my pond. The trick, besides having a dog or two to chase them away, is to take 3-5' stakes(I use bamboo), place them around the koi pond, and then take fishing line and string it around the bamboo stakes at the 1' level, 2' level, and 3' level, with a few lines crossed over the pond itself. The egrets and herons see the line, don't want to get tangled in the line, but get frustrated that they can't get to the fish. In the end they go away.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:04 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,747,182 times
We had visitors this morning.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 AM

225 posts, read 128,626 times
This is going to sound mean, but to keep them out, increase the amount of chlorine in the pool. In our old state, we used to have a problem with 2 ducks, every year, and that always indicated our chlorine levels were low. The more chlorine, the less they will land in it (I'm sure it bothers their skin). They are fun to look at but I don't want them in the pool.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:42 PM

204 posts, read 114,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmib View Post
Almost every late afternoon, a couple of ducks from nearby golf course gather in my swimming pool having a party. They often leave wastes in the water. Very annoying.

What's the best way to keep them away?
An alligator should take care od the duck problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area