Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 12,001 times

Advertisements

I need some feedback on GOOD school districts close to Scottsdale, AZ. I'm moving in June from NJ and looking for a new teaching job in a great district. I do not want a stressful commute. I've applied to MANY places, but do not know the reputation of many.

All feedback appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:07 AM

203 posts, read 491,243 times
paradise valley school district

Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
What do you mean by "good"? Who can decide what is good and what is not? Scottsdale has a "good" reputation . So does Gilbert, Chandler, Kyrene, PV, Cave Creek, etc etc. Maybe a few more qualifiers would help.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:33 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
Your closest districts, all of which are among the better districts, would be Scottsdale Unified, Paradise Valley Unified, and (depending upon how far north in Scottsdale you are) Cave Creek Unified.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Aren't there tons of applicants for every available teaching position around here? I'm thinking you may have to be a little less concerned about "good" teaching jobs and "stressful " commutes unless you want to be worried about being unemployed.

Sorry to be blunt, but...

Old 05-18-2012, 02:15 PM

603 posts, read 946,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Your closest districts, all of which are among the better districts, would be Scottsdale Unified, Paradise Valley Unified, and (depending upon how far north in Scottsdale you are) Cave Creek Unified.
Agreed.

I've heard some not very good things about Fountain Hills Unified school district.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Aren't there tons of applicants for every available teaching position around here? I'm thinking you may have to be a little less concerned about "good" teaching jobs and "stressful " commutes unless you want to be worried about being unemployed.

Not really and even if that is the case it doesn't hurt to expand your options, aim for the best fit and then take what is available as the case may be.

It's not like the midwest where you have tons of teachers waiting to either retire or die with a mess of local schools turning out tens of thousands of teachers per year - all of whom will death match when that 1 job becomes open

Things out here aren't quite as robust as they were a few years back - but the area is still transient enough and still catching up enough with it' growth that things aren't quite so bleak

Maybe not easy like it once was - but there are still people being hired out of state, still recruiting out of state, still mobility between districts and even jobs within.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 12,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I've actually already been offered two jobs before the school year has even completed. However, the "STRESSFUL" commute for both has made me think twice. I'm taking a huge pay cut and the commute is a big part of my decision where to work.

Not to be, but I come from New Jersey, one of the BEST teaching states. I had to wait two full years for my full time job. There are teachers here that have put in 35 years and are STILL working! Comparing the two states, I definitely think AZ has offered more opportunity and I haven't even moved out there yet. I have applied to over 150 positions! There are lots of openings in AZ--you do not see that in NJ. There might be one opening for every 10 schools that you research.

By "good" school district...I know that is a little vague. I guess i'm wondering what the school reputations are...It's hard to know what the truth is by just looking on the AZ dept of ed website and school district websites.

"Good" to me is a research driven language arts/math program, professional development opportunities, supportive/knowledgeable administration, supportive/active community and families...etc.

Thank you for all your advice!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,074 times
Remember, too, richer areas have different issues. I would much rather work in a lower SES area and be helpful to kids who really need and appreciate it. Too many o fmy friends work in rich areas and are just troubled by the sense of entitlement. I have been in a poorer rural area for 11 years and love working with those kids! I student taught way back in both types of area- liked the lower income area much more. Kind of aggravated by parent attitudes and maids picking up their wards in the money districts.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LShep010 View Post
I need some feedback on GOOD school districts close to Scottsdale, AZ. I'm moving in June from NJ and looking for a new teaching job in a great district. I do not want a stressful commute. I've applied to MANY places, but do not know the reputation of many.

All feedback appreciated!
Let me just tell you, first, that one thing I found out about AZ is that long commutes are normal. It's normal to drive 20 miles each way to get to a job. Being from NJ, myself, I know what you mean by "stressful commute". While there's no real stand-still traffic here, be prepared to drive many, many miles.

I was a teacher in NJ and the teacher salary there is double what it is in AZ. Are you prepared for this? Have you looked into the salaries? Also, school districts are not unionized and there is no tenure. In NJ, I know that there is a big tenure-centered mentality. If this is important to you, this is something to consider.

Unlike NJ, Community colleges pay more than K-12. Maricopa CC, Scottsdale CC, Mesa CC, Glendale CC, etc. are good places to work. If you have a Masters degree, consider working there.

If after reading all that you're still interested in teaching K-12, I recommend The Kyrene school district (in South Tempe and Chandler), the Tempe Union District, Paradise Valley, and the North Scottsdale school system. Do you teach high school or elementary school? I can be more specific if I knew which grades you would like to teach.

Best of luck! I hope you like it here as much as I do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area