Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 02:03 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Not a one discussing why there are few convertibles here. Not much to do with wear or tear.

My theory is that the city, being on the conservative side, doesn't appreciate anything quite so indulgent or flamboyant. Besides which, there's precious little appreciation for the sun here, as opposed to LA or NYC or many other locales.

I'll help reverse that when it's time to buy.
I don't know what being a conservative or liberal has to do with the choice of automobiles, I am conservative, and I have a convertible red Camaro.

You might see more convertible high-priced cars, like Lamborghinis and such, in places around the Los Angeles area, but you'll also see a lot of 4-door cars, like an average Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Honda Accord, etc.

On appreciating the sun - Try driving a convertible car on a sunny afternoon when it's over 105 degrees outside from June through September.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogreene View Post
how do you protect convertible from Arizona heat

Garage or other covered parking at home, and hopefully at work as well. The more you keep it out of the sun, the better, which is true for any car.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelko View Post
I am moving to Phoenix in a few weeks and was wondering how my black, cloth convertible top will fare in the relentless Arizona sun.

I was there a few months ago and didn’t notice too many so I was wondering if this was because the sun damages the top. Is a soft-top convertible a bad idea in Arizona?

Thanks.
A black, or any dark-colored automobile is probably not a good idea in the summer months in central Arizona's desert regioins, especially if you have to park it outside in the sun for a few hours. It might not be very comfortable sitting in it in the first 5 to 10 minutes, unless you have a remote start button to run it with the A/C on to cool down the interior about 5 minutes before getting in it.

Convertible tops become brittle with age anywhere with a lot of sunny days throughout the year, not just in central Arizona, even if you park the car in a covered parking area. Keeping it in a garage only extends the age of the top, but it won't stop it from getting brittle over time. Heat is one of the key factors, when it's 110 degrees outside, it can be about 10 to 15 degrees hotter inside the garage of an average home here, unless of course it is air-conditioned.

There are treatments you can get at any auto parts stores that will keep the material on the convertible top from drying out and becoming brittle.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Great question, Angelko

I have two convertibles (only one with a fabric top) and rarely drive either vehicle with the top up, however, when not being driven, they are always kept in the garage. Also, I search for shade when parking during errands, etc.

As for a black vehicle . . . I made that mistake only once and since I am a regular car nut, never again. Not because of the heat as much as the dust. They begin to look dirty about 20 minutes after a bath. ! ! ! !

Bring your convertible out here and enjoy the fantastic weather night and day.
LOL.. there's a joke for car owners in the lower desert elevations of Arizona - The best parking spot in the summer is not necessarily the closest, but the one that offers more shade - and in most cases, when you do find a spot under tree, you'll have to walk quite a ways to get to the entrance of the facility you're visiting.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
My theory is that the city, being on the conservative side, doesn't appreciate anything quite so indulgent or flamboyant. Besides which, there's precious little appreciation for the sun here, as opposed to LA or NYC or many other locales.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:13 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Not a one discussing why there are few convertibles here. Not much to do with wear or tear.

I wouldn't say there are few convertibles here. I see lots of them, really, but maybe since I drive one I just notice more?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:52 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
We have a convertible (Wrangler) and its hotter than hot in the summer. Most car convertibles are far better insulated than Wranglers, but they still require the same amount of care. Keep it shaded as much as possible, keep the windows clean, and you should be ok.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:32 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
We have a convertible (Wrangler) and its hotter than hot in the summer. Most car convertibles are far better insulated than Wranglers, but they still require the same amount of care. Keep it shaded as much as possible, keep the windows clean, and you should be ok.
That is why they make heat shields for Wranglers Even our hard top will burn the top of your head from the heat radiating through.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:27 PM

127 posts, read 171,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That is why they make heat shields for Wranglers Even our hard top will burn the top of your head from the heat radiating through.
Wow, that is quite a vivid statement. I can almost feel it.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 PM

498 posts, read 543,174 times
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: