U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM

80 posts, read 70,759 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a job prospect in Phoenix, been doing some research, does anyone have any good spots for Mountain Biking in and around Phoenix? How is the land treated, public or can you get in trouble trespassing?

I'm originally from the Northeast and use to ride in State Parks and etc. Is it doable even in the summer heat or dangerous? I'm thinking a nice big camelback will help. I also want to go to Taos, NM, but I know it's a quite the haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM

603 posts, read 429,770 times
There is a book on Mountain Biking by a local guy named "Cosmic Ray".
Fat Tire Tales and Trails: Arizona Mountain Bike Trail Guide - 20th Edition at REI.com
He's written some excellent local pocket guidebooks for hiking that I've worn out and constantly recommend, and he just recently put on a presentation at a local REI on biking trails around Phoenix (missed it unfortunately).
You'll find his book at pretty much any outdoor or bike store in the area.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:13 PM

484 posts, read 486,163 times
If you dont mind getting up at 5 am, you can pretty much bike all summer long too.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:21 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,068,544 times
Here's a couple of links:

Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Outdoor Recreation

Favorite Local Rides - Bicycle and Triathlon Store, Landis Cyclery, Tempe, Phoenix, Scottsdale, AZ

Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 PM

687 posts, read 1,211,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post
..does anyone have any good spots for Mountain Biking in and around Phoenix?
All of them. Seriously. And some of the best rides (South Mountain and PMP) are right in the city.

I'd skip Cosmic Ray's maps and check out Dale Wiggin's online maps here. They're free and much more detailed. You can find South Mountain and PMP trails there.

It's also worth exploring the mtbr.com forums for additional trail information. My favorite is the Black Canyon City trail system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post
How is the land treated, public or can you get in trouble trespassing?
An overwhelming majority of our trails are public and multi-use. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for trespassing in Phoenix.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,345,120 times
I used to bike the Pima-Dynamite trails years ago. It is on state land. Development is encroaching on that area. You are supposed to have a permit from the state to use it. Did I? No comment.

It is between Scottsdale and Cave Creek. Has some of the best single tracks around. You share it with motorbikes so watch out. I also like Mcdowell Mountain Park and the Hawes minrpe trail, the latter nwpear Red Mountain in Mesa. I don't bother to bike off road around Phoenix between April and November. My preference is the Apache trail system in the White Mountains.

I also like Cosmic Ray's book and have a couple editions.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,434,616 times
Biking is actually surprisingly do-able in the extreme heat, but less so for mountain biking. Road biking you really generate a nice breeze because of the speeds you can hit. Mountain biking is pretty popular here. Mesa has a lot of dirt canal trails, for an easier ride. I'm not sure what other cities have canal trails.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,345,120 times
Fresno California, and other farm cities in the central California area do have fine canal systems for running/biking. I did that this weekend in Fresno in my old neighborhood. The bonus is that their summer temps are about fifteen degrees lower than Phoenix. Of course Fresnans would pay the higher confiscatory taxes -theft - than Phoenicians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Biking is actually surprisingly do-able in the extreme heat, but less so for mountain biking. Road biking you really generate a nice breeze because of the speeds you can hit. Mountain biking is pretty popular here. Mesa has a lot of dirt canal trails, for an easier ride. I'm not sure what other cities have canal trails.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM

80 posts, read 70,759 times
Thanks to all for the leads and info, looks like there is plenty of places to ride. I don't know, but is it me or the heat? Whenever I watch videos of youtube of the area, the streets and areas around Phoenix look desolate no people, like a scene out of the film "I Am Legend". Is it the heat, down here you don't see that even in the middle of summer with a very high heat index in excess of 100F and sweat dripping humidity. I rode in humidity before up north, but in the mountains there is often a cool breeze that will hit you in the hollows.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM

603 posts, read 429,770 times
I don't know what you're seeing on YouTube, but Phoenix is one of the most populous cities in the country.

No it's not much fun to go running around the city at noon in July or August, but the sidewalks, bike lanes, and hiking trails around here are pretty busy in the early morning hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area