Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,636 times

Advertisements

When I was born in 82 I lived in the projects located on the southside of Guadalupe. I lived there for five years and although very young I have very pleasent memories of that time. I dont remember all the hispanics standing along Avenida del yaqui (priest). I asked my mother, who is from Guadalupe, how it was growing up there and she speaks of it as a really cultural place. Yaqui native americans. Now I read all this about Illegal Mexicans living in Guad. but it wasn't always like that. It seems that Mexican Imigrants have migrated to this area because of its homey feel. Now its grown to the point were it seems that thats all the people that live there. My feelings of Guad is that its gotten out of hand as far as the gangs and drugs. I feel that the town is being used as a point of distrabution for drugs and other criminal activities. That, to me, is hard to say but I find it true. Sad really, I know that there are at least five gangs in Guad. and that they can, if provoked, be very deadly to anybody crossing them. Now thats the dark side but the good side is still there. One just has to look past the graffiti and the gangbangers and see that yes there is a Exellent produce store (Farmers Market) and now a Family Dollor store. There is a place right next to Family Dollor called Mercado (market) were they sell a lot of products from Mexico. Its kinda like going to Mexico except its NOT Mexico. The poeple in guadalupe are cultural and rich the Yaqui traditions. I'll leave you with that and hope that one can see the cultural part of the Town of Guadalupe.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:41 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Crossed what line? He is just stepping up the monitoring of traffic laws and enforcing laws against illegals that the VAST majority of Arizonans are in favor of.

I have no issues with showing a passport, etc. to prove I am a US citizen if I am ever pulled over...takes like 5 seconds.
Thank you........

Old 04-26-2008, 07:46 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goody0381 View Post
When I was born in 82 I lived in the projects located on the southside of Guadalupe. I lived there for five years and although very young I have very pleasent memories of that time. I dont remember all the hispanics standing along Avenida del yaqui (priest). I asked my mother, who is from Guadalupe, how it was growing up there and she speaks of it as a really cultural place. Yaqui native americans. Now I read all this about Illegal Mexicans living in Guad. but it wasn't always like that. It seems that Mexican Imigrants have migrated to this area because of its homey feel. Now its grown to the point were it seems that thats all the people that live there. My feelings of Guad is that its gotten out of hand as far as the gangs and drugs. I feel that the town is being used as a point of distrabution for drugs and other criminal activities. That, to me, is hard to say but I find it true. Sad really, I know that there are at least five gangs in Guad. and that they can, if provoked, be very deadly to anybody crossing them. Now thats the dark side but the good side is still there. One just has to look past the graffiti and the gangbangers and see that yes there is a Exellent produce store (Farmers Market) and now a Family Dollor store. There is a place right next to Family Dollor called Mercado (market) were they sell a lot of products from Mexico. Its kinda like going to Mexico except its NOT Mexico. The poeple in guadalupe are cultural and rich the Yaqui traditions. I'll leave you with that and hope that one can see the cultural part of the Town of Guadalupe.

I used to live not far from that area back in the late 80's. My oldest son actually went to Frank Elementary, Kindergarden and 1st grade. We never had any problems. My twins were baptized in that Catholic Church as well. Seems like ages ago..........it was

Old 05-16-2008, 05:14 PM

94 posts, read 148,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris69o View Post
I sadly live near Guadalupe in Phoenix and I hate it. I want them to be all shipped back to Mexico so they can stand around in their own yards all day. This makes me sick to have to live near a dump called Guadalupe. These illegals are always stealing from our near by apartment complex at night. The lady below me was broken into 2 times in a row because they broke the window. I DON'T FEEL SAFE IN MY OWN COUNTRY! The cops should just station at Guadalupe. They are there 24/7. These are illegal people who need to face the law just as a harmless American would. Thieves, stalkers, homeless, waste of space, time, and money! Girls get grabbed just jogging down the street. Why would we set up an illegal Mexican "hot spot" for drugs and violence called Guadalupe. Things like this make me wish I was a cop so I could go sweep them all out. Please ...please please.... dump them back where the bums came from! It is obvious that they are taking advantage of what we call "our great country." We can fix this! Lets do it!
That is a very sad and ignorant statement to make. It sounds like you need to move to Scottsdale so you don't feel threatened by being outside of your element. I am sure there would be no love lost if you never visited Guadalupe. And then you wouldn't feel scared by traveling somewhere unfamiliar.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:37 PM

93 posts, read 339,151 times
First of all, since some Arizonans are both too ignorant and illiterate to figure this one out on their own, Guadalupe is legally an indian reservation, and has NO direct affiliation with Mexico whatsoever. The influx of criminals from anywhere is a plague to the native people there as much as it is to the white fascists who ran them off of their land in the first place. I do community health work there, and most of the legal, native residents (Yaquis) are in favor of law enforcement crackdowns, but would rather not be profiled or harassed, Arpaio's MO, unfortunately.

Second, to all of you entitled white transplants...where are YOU from that you think you have any legal claim in this desert whatsoever? This place was Mexico 300 years before your pale, manifest destiny families ever came here, and indian land thousands of years before that. Native people have a legal stake in this land, and I would ask that you consider all of the white suburbanites who can't control their pothead kids as the reason drugs are coming here in the first place. Read a history book and don't pretend like you and your family have a birthright to this place unless you're native american. Is this hateful arrogance how you want your children and grandchildren to be regarded when whites are a minority in 15 years (Or less!!!)?

If you have a problem with the law, talk to a lawmaker. The current federal immigration system stinks, YES! but don't blame poor, brown people just because they're easy targets. This whole thread is shameful... although, I do want to thank those of you who have taken the time to get to know Guadalupe as it really is, the home of Yaqui people who are kind, law-abiding, and 100% legal! Criminals are not welcome in any community, and this is no exception. A small hateful minority of Arizonans should "go home" to Europe if they have issues with native americans.

Last edited by crewbank; 05-16-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
There was a place in Guadalupe that made the absolute BEST tamales. Close to Christmas Eve you'd see big expensive cars parked all around from people picking up their tamales.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:28 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris69o View Post
I sadly live near Guadalupe in Phoenix and I hate it. I want them to be all shipped back to Mexico so they can stand around in their own yards all day. This makes me sick to have to live near a dump called Guadalupe. These illegals are always stealing from our near by apartment complex at night. The lady below me was broken into 2 times in a row because they broke the window. I DON'T FEEL SAFE IN MY OWN COUNTRY! The cops should just station at Guadalupe. They are there 24/7. These are illegal people who need to face the law just as a harmless American would. Thieves, stalkers, homeless, waste of space, time, and money! Girls get grabbed just jogging down the street. Why would we set up an illegal Mexican "hot spot" for drugs and violence called Guadalupe. Things like this make me wish I was a cop so I could go sweep them all out. Please ...please please.... dump them back where the bums came from! It is obvious that they are taking advantage of what we call "our great country." We can fix this! Lets do it!
Damn shame, isn't it, Chris . . . HARSH BUT, SADLY, OH SO ACCURATE!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:12 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
This is all true, and crewbank, I agree with much or your statement. I am hispanic and I am 6th generation Arizonan and know many other Mexican Americans that grew up in Guadalupe before the 1980's. I'm 27, but my mother and grandmother tell about great fairs and markets. Now however, they have been replaced by illegals and crime. Most of the hispanics that helped establish the area have moved on and moved up as they were never able to establish a safe, largely hispanic middle class neighborhood like Villa Rica, Valle El Dorado, and Copper Canyon in the West Valley.

But to clarify some statements made by crewbank that seem inflammatory towards whites, this area was Spain 300 years ago. Mexico didn't become an independent nation until 1810. Because the Natives, Spain, and Mexico lost territory does not make it right to lay claim to something that is now the U.S. It took a while for the French to accept that Germany holds land that was French hundreds of years ago, or Germans who hundreds of years ago new Danzig and Warsaw and part of a much more vast German nation. But that was the past, we must learn to live in the present and to live for the future while still remembering atrocities that occured all those years ago. But, do not hold contempt for people today who are where they are because of past circumstances. Lets learn to live with what history has shaped and make things better; not worse or more hateful.

And my final thought, demographically speaking, whites will not be a minority in 15 years...50??? Perhaps, but by that time races may look very different because of mixing. Currently, only 33% of the U.S. is minority based. 13% of hispanic origin, 12% black, 2% native american, 3% asian, and 3% other. Nonetheless, we should all learn to live with each other and tolerate each others differences. I am perfectly comfortable being uncomfortable in this world; being amongst others not like myself!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:28 AM

378 posts, read 1,442,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewbank View Post
First of all, since some Arizonans are both too ignorant and illiterate to figure this one out on their own, Guadalupe is legally an indian reservation, and has NO direct affiliation with Mexico whatsoever. The influx of criminals from anywhere is a plague to the native people there as much as it is to the white fascists who ran them off of their land in the first place. I do community health work there, and most of the legal, native residents (Yaquis) are in favor of law enforcement crackdowns, but would rather not be profiled or harassed, Arpaio's MO, unfortunately.

Second, to all of you entitled white transplants...where are YOU from that you think you have any legal claim in this desert whatsoever? This place was Mexico 300 years before your pale, manifest destiny families ever came here, and indian land thousands of years before that. Native people have a legal stake in this land, and I would ask that you consider all of the white suburbanites who can't control their pothead kids as the reason drugs are coming here in the first place. Read a history book and don't pretend like you and your family have a birthright to this place unless you're native american. Is this hateful arrogance how you want your children and grandchildren to be regarded when whites are a minority in 15 years (Or less!!!)?

If you have a problem with the law, talk to a lawmaker. The current federal immigration system stinks, YES! but don't blame poor, brown people just because they're easy targets. This whole thread is shameful... although, I do want to thank those of you who have taken the time to get to know Guadalupe as it really is, the home of Yaqui people who are kind, law-abiding, and 100% legal! Criminals are not welcome in any community, and this is no exception. A small hateful minority of Arizonans should "go home" to Europe if they have issues with native americans.

I agree 100% with you man. How can one person judge a whole race by acts that a percentage do people do. Also Hispanic/Illegals don't cause all the crime in america.
Go to any prison and you'll see people of every color including white people.
So don't just say that illegals cause all the crime and that americans are harmless. Plus if you hate hispanics so much why live in a state where they are the majority and you are the minority.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:41 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,806 times
The pottery store is great if looking for yard decor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area