Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
know a question i needed to ask.. car insurance i have to get some at compreshensive. how much does that run... i pay high rates now of 208.00 every 3 months on a 98 grand prix..
That does seem high, it depends on WHY your rates are high, though... too much coverage, deductibles too low, driving record issues. And, premiums here (and everywhere) are affected by the ZIP code you live in, and how far you drive to work. It's hard to give you a number, but I would think you might do a bit better here, probably no worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
here is the link to the other place i was looking at... its furnished-- forgot to add the link earlier Capri on Camelback Apartments - Phoenix Apartments For Rent | Phoenix, AZ 85018

9.50 at 40hrs seems like a good job. wow, i'd imagine that i need more money to make it. i know a question i needed to ask.. car insurance i have to get some at compreshensive. how much does that run... i pay high rates now of 208.00 every 3 months on a 98 grand prix. i know that some food is a lot lower than it is here. i was shocked. figured in a big city it would be high but looks like in a small town it was higher. weird.
15.00 as a cashier.. wow. that is good. its lik 8.00 here. i was looking at stocking or something like that. maybe a cashier would work. i'd have to learn to not run my mouth to people... hahaha.
i will def take a look at that job. i know nothing about jobs. we lonely have a few types so it explains why i have no idea what a pca is, i'm guessing like accounting. haha. bet i'm wrong. i still have like a yr left on college so a non stressful job would be awesome. i'm sure u know what i mean. i love silence which i never get here with my parents and brother.
and thank you so much for helping me with your suggestions. if u need any help with anything just msg me, anytime.
The days of cashiers making $15+ are over. Fry's (the largest chain here) used to have top pay at that, but about 5 yrs ago at least signed a new contract to make it $12.50 as top. My ex is a cashier there, been there for 17 years and makes $15 something.

At or just over min wage is the starting at most low level jobs. Fast food, etc. Our min wage is $7.65

Old 05-23-2012, 12:14 PM

170 posts, read 325,900 times
Quote:
I will be moving in a few months and I wanted a job as soon as i got there. Here in Ky there are no jobs. Only types we have here are call-center (2 companies), 4 factory jobs, 5 small supermarket and about 6 fast food. Just wanted to know what I might have to gear up for, job wise? Land of the losers and non-ambitious people. I'm done! Thanks in advance.
You wont find it any better in AZ either. This place epitomizes low wages, no economic opportunity and no career advancement. AZ's economy is driven by minimum wage labor where flipping burgers and working at Walyworld is commonplace (Walmart is Arizona's largest employer). DONT MOVE ANYWHERE WITHOUT A JOB FIRST. ARIZONA IS A DIFFICULT PLACE TO FIND A CAREER JOB. I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO LEFT AZ BECAUSE THEY COULDNT FIND A GOOD JOB. You seriously need to do the research. AZ is also the land of losers and non-ambitious people. AZ isnt called the Mississippi of the West for nothing. My suggestion is to go to college--anywhere--first and THEN worrry about a job. AZ wil suck for you.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
You wont find it any better in AZ either. This place epitomizes low wages, no economic opportunity and no career advancement. AZ's economy is driven by minimum wage labor where flipping burgers and working at Walyworld is commonplace (Walmart is Arizona's largest employer). DONT MOVE ANYWHERE WITHOUT A JOB FIRST. ARIZONA IS A DIFFICULT PLACE TO FIND A CAREER JOB. I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO LEFT AZ BECAUSE THEY COULDNT FIND A GOOD JOB. You seriously need to do the research. AZ is also the land of losers and non-ambitious people. AZ isnt called the Mississippi of the West for nothing. My suggestion is to go to college--anywhere--first and THEN worrry about a job. AZ wil suck for you.
You have to remember she is coming from a tiny town in Kentucky. Phoenix may or may not be the best place for her to move to, but Phoenix no doubt would be a big improvement from where she is now. I never had a career job, but I never had a problem finding work when I was there.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
If you read her posts, she's not looking for a career job at this point, but something to pay the rent while she finishes online classes, and then go from there. As noted below, she's coming from a VERY different environment with far fewer opportunities to find a suitable steady job. We know you hate Phoenix, but not everyone shares your view. If she wants to get out of where she is and come here, makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You have to remember she is coming from a tiny town in Kentucky. Phoenix may or may not be the best place for her to move to, but Phoenix no doubt would be a big improvement from where she is now. I never had a career job, but I never had a problem finding work when I was there.
Exactly. You actually read her posts.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 PM

196 posts, read 262,797 times
observer53... thanks for talking based on my past posts. awesome.

also thanks everyone else out there for their responses. it is true tho. some people like KY- i hate it... some ppl hate phx I love it, which is y that it has been my vacation spot for a few yrs and y i have chose to make az my home.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
normcrok8,
"AZ will suck for you." Seriously??!!! How on earth can you possibly know that will be the case for her? You make some valid points (go to college, do the research, don't move without a job), but then your disdain for AZ creeps through and taints what you say: (AZ is also the land of losers and non-ambitious people)

I really hope your new home helps you heal from your traumatic experience here in AZ. Peace.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
observer53... thanks for talking based on my past posts. awesome.

also thanks everyone else out there for their responses. it is true tho. some people like KY- i hate it... some ppl hate phx I love it, which is y that it has been my vacation spot for a few yrs and y i have chose to make az my home.
Hi adele,
I have read your post and am happy you are eager to move to AZ. I am also happy that, for the most part, the people on this thread have been kind and helpful, with the exception of one!

You mentioned that you have vacationed out here for the past few years, but other than a change of life from the small town where you live, what else is driving you to move across the country? Do you have family or friends in the area? Having been a person who has moved a lot I know what it's like to do it good...and bad. You definitely want to have some things in place (savings, job offer or job, transportation and a good idea of the area before relocating).

I also understand what it's like to feel trapped someplace. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
i have no choice. in az you have to have an az address before employers can even consider you. so ur comment "DONT MOVE ANYWHERE WITHOUT A JOB FIRST." is not valid. i haev heard that from a lot of people in az. i can move around to see if there is better opportunity within the state. and also ur comment that "land of losers and non-ambitious people." is a sad understatement. y?? well imagine living in a small freaking town where every single person u know or run into which is a lot are all druggies and bums who sponge off their parents. small towns suck. i have resorted to no talking to anyone anymore. when i tell them that i am moving they have the nerve to tell me, "i wish i had ur determination" now what the heck is that. its called grow a pair and get off ur butt and make some changes. things do not just fall in ur lap. i mean wake up. bigger towns have better class of people too but there are bums there as well. small towns u see it more bc the population is like 10k in 2009. hopefully u catch my point. also in small towns if ppl do not have juice on u they make it up since there is nothing else to do. its sad. i will never live in a small town again. forget it. dont believe me, move to a almost secluded small town-- u will be begging to go back to phx.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Hi adele,
I have read your post and am happy you are eager to move to AZ. I am also happy that, for the most part, the people on this thread have been kind and helpful, with the exception of one!

You mentioned that you have vacationed out here for the past few years, but other than a change of life from the small town where you live, what else is driving you to move across the country? Do you have family or friends in the area? Having been a person who has moved a lot I know what it's like to do it good...and bad. You definitely want to have some things in place (savings, job offer or job, transportation and a good idea of the area before relocating).

I also understand what it's like to feel trapped someplace. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.
i am basically starting my life over. i have been undecided since high school as to what i wanted to do with my life and a yr ago it clicked. i said i must leave these bums and no job opportunity. i am the woman who lives at work bc she has no life, i feel like that is in my future. i have no fmaily out there anymore and no friends in az. its all me moving out. i have a few job ideas, i have a car, and little bit of savings.
i mainly want to move to where i have job opportunities while i finish up college and then look for a career. its an aa degree btw.
i just have to get out of KY, its too blah... n one cares about anything. i will not go into all that but u might see that in my other posts about how everyone pushes things off to someone else. its sad. i need a change.
plus i cannot relax bc of all the stress that others put on me, yeah it does not concern me but i still get stressed out. people need to take charge of their lives. plus, i love underground pools (i say that bc here in ky, they have above pools and they are gross) sunshine. i hate the rain-- rain makes things nasty and moldy. getting sick thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area