Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:30 PM

73 posts, read 151,787 times

Advertisements

Lots and lots of call center work out here, up in North Phoenix it seems to be that working at Discover Card or American Express is a right of passage. You might also want to check out Desert Schools, Cox, Go Daddy, Ipower, and Petsmart. There are tons more, but those are the ones I know off the top of my head. Be very VERY wary of craigslist call center jobs, a lot of them are scams and either won't pay you or won't have the money to cover the checks they write. It's kind of miserable work, but easy to get into if you have previous experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:53 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,694,364 times
Hey, I was at a Chipotle and overheard the manager talking to a customer telling him that they were hiring and no degree was needed. I was also walking with my wife into a Fatburger and right smack in the middle of the door was a sign that said, "We are hiring!" not sure if you like fast food jobs, but just thought I'd share that these companies are hiring. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,134,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Hey, I was at a Chipotle and overheard the manager talking to a customer telling him that they were hiring and no degree was needed. I was also walking with my wife into a Fatburger and right smack in the middle of the door was a sign that said, "We are hiring!" not sure if you like fast food jobs, but just thought I'd share that these companies are hiring. Good luck!
LOL, I hope degrees are not required for Chipolte.

I see signs all the time at fast food places. I also have friends who have been out of work forever. I guess the two don't mix. Sure, some are professionals, but something IS better than nothing.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 PM

148 posts, read 279,070 times
Hi Adele,

I totally agree with Las Vegas Drunk about the CNA/PCA/HHA gig. While I was living in Arizona, that is what I did at the start. I am actually glad I went the health care route instead of fast food, call centers, warehouses, security (although I had done them all previously and have nothing against a hard days work, whatever the job).

1) It helped me decide on a health care occupation. I was one of those people who was scared of blood, gore, and other bodily fluids. I worked with nurses, respiratory, physical therapists, etc and began to understand what their jobs entailed. Basically, it helped me decide that I had what it takes to work in a health care occupation!

2) I had worked in all settings over 5 years: hospital, nursing home, and home care (through a staffing agency once I had my CNA license and enough experience). The Home Care jobs, (some of which were overnight like Las Vegas Drunk had) allowed me ample time to study, and in some cases sleep. I must admit, the hospital and nursing home jobs were backbreaking at times due to staffing issues, but they still paid a bit more than minimum wage. I had one assignment, where I worked four 12 hour shifts per week staying with a wealthy elderly female patient who wanted 24-7 care (only males BTW ). It was a cake walk!! It eventually was my only job at the end while I was finishing up school there. It only required taking her to the store, light housekeeping, personal care, and making sure she took her meds. And since I was a captive audience, I got more school work done than I would have at home

3) Again, these jobs pay more than minimum wage, offered benefits, and in the case of the hospital, would actually help pay for your education!!

I actually enjoyed my adventure in AZ and do not regret the 7 years I was there. I am an RN with a Bachelors Degree now, in part, thanks to my humble start in health care back in 1993. I love nursing, it is rewarding work to me, one can get a job anywhere, work in a variety of settings...and in AZ, experienced nurses make well over $30 hr. From what I understand, Arizona still needs tons of experinced nurses.

I also agree with Las Vegas Drunk in another aspect. If at all possible, avoid roomates or renting rooms like the plague. There are too many people with major problems with mental illness, drugs, alcohol, money, etc. Yes, there are many good people out there too, but how do you sift through all the baggage. And in some cases, a person might start off as a friend, but when you move in with him/her, things can quickly change for the worse... I too had my share of horror stories and prefer my solitude over needless drama and being used...

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by carrob; 05-24-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM

196 posts, read 262,257 times
Default where to look for a job in az

where is a good place to look for a job to get an idea of what jobs are available in az. what newspapers or online places.
or maybe a name of a headhunter place to help people find a job. i will be around the phoenix, scottsdale, chandler, gilbert area. i am trying to get an idea of what area to set up when i get to az bc chances are i will be stuck wherever i go since i will need to rent- hotels are too expensive. these cities do not look that big on a map but i'm sure they are huge cities.
even if someone has another idea of places with a lot of job opportunity. i'm looking for entry level job, no healthcare. i am working towards an aa degree in organizational management. just a fyi! 10 yrs customer service experience but do not want to make that my career but can work it for a little while while in college.
thanks for everyones help. this site is the BEST! a lot of great helpful people.

Last edited by observer53; 06-08-2012 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: Mod Note: Threads merged

Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM

391 posts, read 838,594 times
Careerbuilder and, weirdly enough, craigslist. There are call centers galore and you have experience so they will dig that. Between going to school, working at a call center, and doing internships, you should be set. I'm only assuming you are going into IT is why I say internships.

As far as living, there are a lot of very affordable places throughout the valley. You need to pick where you want to call home. Hoping to live and work in Tempe will be hard in finding a call center job.

There will be many others to help you out and welcome to Phoenix.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:21 PM

196 posts, read 262,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
Careerbuilder and, weirdly enough, craigslist. There are call centers galore and you have experience so they will dig that. Between going to school, working at a call center, and doing internships, you should be set. I'm only assuming you are going into IT is why I say internships.

As far as living, there are a lot of very affordable places throughout the valley. You need to pick where you want to call home. Hoping to live and work in Tempe will be hard in finding a call center job.

There will be many others to help you out and welcome to Phoenix.
thanks kremit. i was told not to look at craigslist--scammers. i'm actually trying to get away from call centers. but will do it if i have to. i plan to branch out after i graduate but wanted an idea of a good place to live. i will go anywhere. just do not want to move somewhere and not get a job. gotta pay whatever the rent is.
not doing it. i'm doing online classes.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 PM

391 posts, read 838,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
thanks kremit. i was told not to look at craigslist--scammers. i'm actually trying to get away from call centers. but will do it if i have to. i plan to branch out after i graduate but wanted an idea of a good place to live. i will go anywhere. just do not want to move somewhere and not get a job. gotta pay whatever the rent is.
not doing it. i'm doing online classes.
I only said craigslist because a lot of customer service jobs will post there. But if you feel craigslist is creepy, which I understand, stick with the typical online job sites. I know you are trying to avoid call centers, but there are many in the valley.

As far as somewhere to live. It depends what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:21 PM

170 posts, read 324,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
i have no choice. in az you have to have an az address before employers can even consider you. so ur comment "DONT MOVE ANYWHERE WITHOUT A JOB FIRST." is not valid. i haev heard that from a lot of people in az. ur comment that "land of losers and non-ambitious people." is a sad understatement. y?? small towns suck. bigger towns have better class of people. .
You are preaching to the choir. I lived in a small town for a while and honestly hated it. Small, boring, dead, etc. I know about that. But you DO have a choice. I mean with 49 other states and so many other cities, why the Phoenix area? Since yer in KY, U should consider closer places like Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Indianapolis, Nashville, Columbus OH, St. Louis or Houston. But Phoenix? You make such generalizations about people and small towns/big cities [mod cut-- rude] . Bigger towns DO NOT necessarily have a better class of people. Large cities in some ways can be just as bad and depressed as small towns. People R people no matter where you go. You sound really young and inexperienced. I am 30 and have been around the block a lot and learned a lot. My arguments are NEVER invalid. At least try researching some places before moving.

Last edited by observer53; 06-08-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM

131 posts, read 343,663 times
Quote:
where is a good place to look for a job to get an idea of what jobs are available in az. what newspapers or online places.
or maybe a name of a headhunter place to help people find a job. i will be around the phoenix, scottsdale, chandler, gilbert area. i am trying to get an idea of what area to set up when i get to az bc chances are i will be stuck wherever i go since i will need to rent- hotels are too expensive. these cities do not look that big on a map but i'm sure they are huge cities.
even if someone has another idea of places with a lot of job opportunity. i'm looking for entry level job, no healthcare. i am working towards an aa degree in organizational management. just a fyi! 10 yrs customer service experience but do not want to make that my career but can work it for a little while while in college.
thanks for everyones help. this site is the BEST! a lot of great helpful people.
jobing.com is a really good site for phoenix area jobs, found a few myself on their. Also why not healthcare? You don't have to be a Dr. or Nurse to work in healthcare... I work for a hospital and never have to step foot in there if I dont want to. Lots of heathcare IT and admin jobs out here.

Last edited by imartin26; 06-08-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area