Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
U think AZ is better? Arizona can also be depressing with the awful desert climate, no jobs, and 'nothing. to do. [mod cut-- off topic] Life is no better in AZ.
That's simply your opinion. There's those that agree with you, and those that don't, who on balance like it here, or are relentlessly positive about it. No one who lives here is going to "change sides of the fence" based on what you say, or what some overly positive poster says.

And, those who've never been here should take the overly negative AND the overly positive opinions with a grain of salt, and make their own decisions. It's impossible to say in advance how anyone will feel about metro Phoenix or any other area. A move works out for some, doesn't work out for others. For the umpteenth time, no place is for everyone, no place is perfect, and everyone's got an opinion. The OP will have to make her own choices, like everyone else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 PM

129 posts, read 304,741 times
Quote:
U think AZ is better? Arizona can also be depressing with the awful desert climate, no jobs, and 'nothing. to do. [mod cut- off topic] Life is no better in AZ.
Where exactly do you live? Apparently, it's the most magnificant paradise in the world. And if you do live in AZ, why don't you follow this girls lead and find somewhere that you think will make you happy.

Seriously, if people aren't happy where they are living, go for your dream and try different places out! She may move to AZ and hate it, but at least she will be able to say that she actually left to try something new and different than what she's used to! And I don't know her circumstances, but I'm sure if it doesn't work out for her, she can always go back home. As those of us from small, midwestern towns know, everything will be exactly the same if you ever need to go back.... Or a walmart will come and destroy everything.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 PM

272 posts, read 608,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That's simply your opinion. There's those that agree with you, and those that don't, who on balance like it here, or are relentlessly positive about it. No one who lives here is going to "change sides of the fence" based on what you say, or what some overly positive poster says.

And, those who've never been here should take the overly negative AND the overly positive opinions with a grain of salt, and make their own decisions. It's impossible to say in advance how anyone will feel about metro Phoenix or any other area. A move works out for some, doesn't work out for others. For the umpteenth time, no place is for everyone, no place is perfect, and everyone's got an opinion. The OP will have to make her own choices, like everyone else does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natsherr View Post
Where exactly do you live? Apparently, it's the most magnificant paradise in the world. And if you do live in AZ, why don't you follow this girls lead and find somewhere that you think will make you happy.

Seriously, if people aren't happy where they are living, go for your dream and try different places out! She may move to AZ and hate it, but at least she will be able to say that she actually left to try something new and different than what she's used to! And I don't know her circumstances, but I'm sure if it doesn't work out for her, she can always go back home. As those of us from small, midwestern towns know, everything will be exactly the same if you ever need to go back.... Or a walmart will come and destroy everything.
Touche.
Members can post their OPINIONS concerning any city.
They Are Opinions.
They Are Not Laws.

My father calls the Valley "God's Country". That's not hyperbole - he really feels that way.
Me? I can see the good and the bad. I think, FOR ME, the good outweighs the bad.
For others, the equation may balance differently. Doesn't make them wrong, or foolish, or shortsighted.
It makes them individuals, with wants and needs that do not match mine.

I cannot understand the "Alpha" mentality behind "My opinion is the ONLY one that counts". Jeeze...

Oh, and by the way - Maui is God's Country.
I just can't afford to live there...

Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM

196 posts, read 262,758 times
Quote:
Good luck on your move!!! I hope everything works out for you! I wanted to say (in regards to the job search), I like the website indeed.com. It gathers jobs from all the other posting sites and it's really easy to use.

I drive through your area of Kentucky one to two times a year going from Memphis to NE Ohio. I normally stay in Elizabethtown because it's about half way. I can completely understand your desire to move! The "midwest" can be so depressing with it's annoying weather, lack of jobs, and nothing to do! Everyone in a small town knows everyone else and they know ALL of your business! Also, I think the scenery of the desert is a nice change from corn fields and trees (some people may think this is crazy).

I went to Phoenix once when i was about 14 and then again last September (I was 26) and I fell in love! I am planning on moving there next summer if my plans go accordingly. Please keep us up to date on your "adventure"!
Etown, that is like 45 mins away from me. Too far to work but the decent area since there might be jobs. however, i hate the area and the things that **** me off so bad. long story. my grandparents lived in peoria, az and i fell hardcore in love with az about 5 yrs ago. its taken me a long time but i'm going for my dreams. things seem to be opening up as a path for me to take.

good luck with your trip too next summer. hopefully i will still be there. i dont have enuf money to last a yr but if i'm still there, then i made it.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
I just wanted to add that I have seen a ton of help wanted signs these days at most retailers. Pier One, Target, Walmart, Costco, fast food places, etc. If you're just looking for entry level type jobs just to make some income, retail should offer plenty of opportunities. I live in the NW valley and love it up here. I don't like the heat(I'm originally from the east coast) but I still like AZ and all it has to offer. I think it's a great state! Good luck with your move!
Exactly the jobs i wanted to hear that need help. Perfect post. az does rock. thanks again.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
U think AZ is better? Arizona can also be depressing with the awful desert climate, no jobs, and 'nothing. to do. [mod cut- off topic] Life is no better in AZ.
sure az mite not b for everyone. sounds like u need to leave az and not comment to my posts. i have been there to az for yrs and like it out there. if ur that unhappy... I INVITE YOU TO KENTUCKY AND STAY IN MY CRAP TOWN (NOT CITY). you can drive 45 mins to an hr each way and pay for gas...THEN U CAN COMMENT BACK TO MY POSTS! but who knows u might like what I call crappy humid weather. o and good luck finding a job. i'm not picky. i'll b super glad just to leave this god awful state. just my opinion.

have a great day!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much for this post. it is right on my topic. i'm just so disgusted with small towns and the sticky humid weather here in ky. among other things that are ruining me as a person. i hate being mad all the time. az when i visited there..all my life.. i was actually relaxed. its my state- just need to find the jobs and make it work. and yes, for the record i can come home but y when there are no jobs or anything here. forget that. i have never wanted something so bad in my life. "a life in arizona." no snow winter, heck yeah!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:51 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
sure az mite not b for everyone. sounds like u need to leave az and not comment to my posts. i have been there to az for yrs and like it out there. if ur that unhappy... I INVITE YOU TO KENTUCKY AND STAY IN MY CRAP TOWN (NOT CITY). you can drive 45 mins to an hr each way and pay for gas...THEN U CAN COMMENT BACK TO MY POSTS! but who knows u might like what I call crappy humid weather. o and good luck finding a job. i'm not picky. i'll b super glad just to leave this god awful state. just my opinion.

have a great day!
Good for you. I always felt the same way about Las Vegas. I was told by everyone not to move here, I am going to hate it, etc. I made the choice 6 years ago to move here and I love it. I am glad I did not listen to the haters. I hope everything works out for you on your move to Phoenix, and then you will be able to look back years later on how happy you got out of that horrible Kentucky town.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Good for you. I always felt the same way about Las Vegas. I was told by everyone not to move here, I am going to hate it, etc. I made the choice 6 years ago to move here and I love it. I am glad I did not listen to the haters. I hope everything works out for you on your move to Phoenix, and then you will be able to look back years later on how happy you got out of that horrible Kentucky town.
in my eyes ky is among the worst bc i hate the humidity and stickiness and mildew. az is clean bc it is not moist air. but what i dont like others may love. so as long as everyone is happy and achieves their dreams thats all that matters.
i'm glad ur happy. i only live once and i want to see about making a good life in my dream state.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM

20 posts, read 30,762 times
There are not any jobs that will enable you to live life as a normal human being here. most jobs posted don't even exist or just a tool to keep HR people employed. I have seen the same job posted for 8 months, and others every other 2 weeks. To top it off most companies do not have a clue about how the interview process works in the real world. The inmates are definitely running the asylum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area