Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Just be careful of what you hear/read about the Phoenix area or Arizona in general. The pictures are always manipulated in Photoshop to remove the air pollution Its one thing to read about Phoenix in the Relocation Guides and other books, and usually another to actually live there. Like you, I also thought I wanted to live in AZ, but now counting down the months when I get to leave. Halleluyah! I am moving back to the Midwest where the quality of life is much better. I grew up in the Midwest and see the huge difference. I am saying this just to forewarn you. Yes, you should be concerned about the heat. Weve already broken 5 records since mid May alone. The heat is dangerous, oppressive and a relentless beast that will keep U indoors until late October. The climate here is not as good as you think.

We get that you hate it here, you've posted the same essential complaints every time. NO place is for everyone, this isn't for you, best wishes elsewhere.

Funny, we've had some unseasonably cool days this spring too, but you don't want to talk about those.

While the climate may keep YOU indoors May through late October, that's either your actual choice or more pure exaggeration, and millions of people cope with the heat better than that. Many trade off the heat for what they no longer have to shovel or travel through in the winter, so on balance, yes, they may say it's "nice". Most DON'T stay indoors six months out of the year. More exaggeration. No one can speak for anyone else on that person's opinion of the weather/climate here. Everyone's response to it is entirely personal. And, no one can predict for someone else what their reaction will be when they come here. The OP will find out for herself how she adapts (or doesn't). Good luck with your move away.

Last edited by observer53; 06-04-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
the night time weather was great in May.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 PM

33 posts, read 70,656 times
I moved to Phx last year. I think its a great place, I don't find it polluted and other bad things said. Vistancia is a very nice place. I might but something there too. The heat is bearable and not as bad as people say. The scenery is a bit different, its not green being a desert. I like it. Initially I did not like it, but then I adapted and could'nt think of living anywhere else.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 PM

272 posts, read 608,878 times
... and I'm moving from the Midwest BACK to Phoenix.

The heat is tolerable. You WILL find yourself avoiding anything outdoors in the summer during the hottest part of the day (around 11a-4p), but the evening hours (once the sun goes down) are pleasant, and early mornings are IMHO very comfortable.

Everyone's different. You may find that you can't stand the heat, that it's no big deal, or that you're somewhere in between. You really should try to spend at least a couple of weeks during the summer in Phx before committing to a move.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,534 times
There are lots of extended stay suites here you can stay in while you check things out. Budget Suites, Legacy Suites, Intown Suites. For a little over $200 a week you can have a furnished 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen (bring your own towels, linen and dishes). lots of people who need a short term no lease apartment stay in them. You fill out the paperwork and can move in in about 30 minutes.

Lots of areas offer a decent home for $250,000, but i would stay in a suite for a few months and see what areas you like first. Peoria is ok, but there are other areas that may have more to offer you that are more centrally located. It's a little more working class there, and it is close to the retirement areas. very little night life, and besides the Arrowhead Mall area on Bell Rd, not much happening out there. You may find west Chandler or the Ahwatukee area of Phoenix more sophisticated. Maybe even South Scottsdale or Tempe if you want to be in closer proximity to more things to do.

The heat is not restrictive here. it is dry heat, and a 103 degree day here feels like about 90 degrees in the Midwest. We get little rain here, so it is sunny virtually every day. July and August are the worst months, when it's monsoon season, and we may get occasional duststorms and rain, but that usually happens after 5 or 6 PM.

It gets light here at 5 AM and dark before 8. Heat doesn't stop people from going outside year round here like snow does in other areas. Evenings and morning hours before 11:30 are fine for outdoor activities. Just drink water if outside doing activities in the summer during the heat of the day. Most people just go from their air conditioned car inside anyway, so people wear their dress clothes to work just like anywhere else.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 AM

28 posts, read 61,439 times
I'm with normcrok. We moved to the Arrowhead area from NJ last August and are leaving in July to go back to NJ. Aside from the blistering heat, which is overwhelming, the reasons are two-fold. One, we picked this area because it is considered upper class and the school was known to be good. It's not or maybe I'm biased coming from the east where academics are stressed and comparing the two the deficiencies in AZ school system is incredible. Secondly, coming from the east this upper class neighborhood seemed more than reasonable to live in. If you pick here be sure to have a well paying job. The big misconception about AZ is that the cost of living is cheaper. It's not. The only thing that's cheaper here is the housing and property taxes. Otherwise the heat will drive your electric bill upwards to hundreds of dollars depending on the size of your house. The sales tax is high here, 9.5 percent on food, clothes, just about everything. This to me is a great place to live if you're a snowbird or part time resident. Jobs pay very lousy here, very. If you're not worried about a school system or work then this is a great place to be. I love Arrowhead. It's a beautiful neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area