Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:32 PM

272 posts, read 608,803 times

Advertisements

I'll concede - one 2- or 4-top an hour is a piece of cake for a competent server - if things go according to plan.

I've also seen many experienced servers end up in tears after the way they were treated by a single table with a party of four.

There's a lot more to serving than taking an order and delivering it to the table.
I did it for years. I don't do it anymore. I got tired of dealing with the aforementioned "parties of four".

All I ask is that you keep that in mind before pronouncing misconceptions concerning the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM

358 posts, read 470,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Why shouldn't they? Because, for the most part, it is an entry level "unskilled labor" position, that's why.

I'll post the definition of unskilled labor from dictionary.com for you. It's not a derogatory term, it just means they didn't have to invest any time or money in training or education to get the job like many of us do.

unskilled labor 
noun
work that requires practically no training or experience for its adequate or competent performance.

However it does require a fair amount of talent and skill to be picked up quickly and executed with panache. Not that I agree with you but even if I did; so what?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 PM

Oh - and an "unskilled" (by your definition) bartender would last approximately 30 seconds in any decent, relatively busy establishment. An "unskilled" server would last up until the first screwed-up order (maybe the second, if the manager was feeling especially charitable).

I hired not one server or bartender with less than a couple of years experience. Anyone without experience started as either a busser, barback, or in banquets (where you are pretty much just hauling food without spilling it on anyone...).

Serving is like many other professions. You start at the bottom (local diner/watering hole), with commensurate low pay. If you're good (and lucky), you'll end up with some busy shifts, and make a little money. You move up from there.

You don't walk in off the street, with no experience, and start serving at the Ritz-Carlton (or insert your favorite mid- to high-end restaurant's name here) - not if the manager wants to keep THEIR job for long, that is.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM

358 posts, read 470,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Oh - and an "unskilled" (by your definition) bartender would last approximately 30 seconds in any decent, relatively busy establishment. An "unskilled" server would last up until the first screwed-up order (maybe the second, if the manager was feeling especially charitable).

I hired not one server or bartender with less than a couple of years experience. Anyone without experience started as either a busser, barback, or in banquets (where you are pretty much just hauling food without spilling it on anyone...).

Serving is like many other professions. You start at the bottom (local diner/watering hole), with commensurate low pay. If you're good (and lucky), you'll end up with some busy shifts, and make a little money. You move up from there.

You don't walk in off the street, with no experience, and start serving at the Ritz-Carlton (or insert your favorite mid- to high-end restaurant's name here) - not if the manager wants to keep THEIR job for long, that is.
If I could rep you 1000 points for this I would!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Mods (and everyone else) - sincere apologies for derailing this thread.
I'll keep my mouth shut...

Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
This is a very interesting discussion that perhaps deserves its own general thread in another forum, but let's try to steer back to the question(s) asked by the OP.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley James View Post
If I could rep you 1000 points for this I would!!!
Thanks.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 PM

681 posts, read 1,559,938 times
I'm only an occasional resident, but I tip the same pretty much everywhere in Canada / USA:

Waiters/waitresses/bartenders: 15% for decent service 18-20% for great service and 30-40% for breakfast service as the bill is never high and the server spends a lot of time re-filling my coffee!

Your table at a buffet whether you are served drinks or not: As a rule, don't do buffets... except at hotels where there is a complimentary breakfast. I usually leave a couple of dollars on the table.

Car wash personnel: $2-$5
Hairdressers/barbers/nail techs: 10-15% (I have my hair done by a lady who works out of her house)
Therapeutic massage/spa services: $10-$15
Valets: $5
Cab Drivers: Usually 20%
Hotel Maids: Typically don't tip unless I'm somewhere where it's clear their only income is tips... this one always makes me feel a bit guilty, but I stay in a lot of hotels.
Skycaps/Bellcaps: $1/bag
Other: Pizza Guy - 20%

Do you still tip if the service is terrible, or tip extra well if the server is fabulous? I usually leave 10% if service is terrible.

Do you tip the same in other areas where you know the servers are paid well already? I never really know which areas servers are paid well... other than Europe and Australia... in those continents, I don't tip or just round up to the nearest whole unit.

If you work in a service industry, what do you think is fair? I worked in the service industry while attending university, so I get it. Serving is FAR from an easy job (to do well). I think with the state of the economy there are many people who are working in these positions trying to support families. Also...many people WITH university degrees who can't get a job in their "field" - so don't assume they are uneducated. I say if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
...If you work in a service industry, what do you think is fair?
15-20% is considered "normal" throuout the industry (large cities like NY, Chi, LA excepted - 18-21% is closer to the average in those locations). When I was in AZ, 12-15% was average - but that was 15 years ago.

When I was in the business, I'd work hard to raise that percentage - but I never EXPECTED more than that. For me, 15-17% average was satisfactory; 19% put a grin on my face. Anything over 20% was a REALLY good day.

A 10% tip (or less) is usually considered a negative comment on the server's performance - but "stiffing" the server is considered a negative comment on the patron (and if you think the servers don't remember a "stiff", just try dining at that restaurant again - you'll be lucky if you get your food by Thursday...).

Quote:
I say if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.
Thank you.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM

255 posts, read 514,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
Do you still tip if the service is terrible, or tip extra well if the server is fabulous? I usually leave 10% if service is terrible.
I do not agree that we should tip if service is terrible.

For example, there was one time where the server just threw the dishes at our tables, not responding to our requests while chit-chating with his buddies at the bar. We discussed about the tip and decided on $0. The meal was $80. If we gave an $8 tip, what would that say? That what he was doing was fine? That he would get a tip by mistreating customers?

No and no. A tip is a "thank you", and we did not want to thank him for his bad service. And no, we never went back to the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area