Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
And just because a website says something doesnt make it true. So wheres the evidence???? From my view and according to several news outlets in AZ, Phoenix's population is reaching its peak, and people are actually beginning to MOVE OUT of Arizona for better economic opportunity elsewhere. Phoenix IS a revolving door. For every five people who move to PHX, 3 leave after 5 years. Thats the truth. In fact, I used to to have many friends here since I moved to AZ in 2006, but Ive sadly witnesses them move out (usaully due to a better job elsewhere). Its getting to the point where I hardly know anyone in PHX anymore.
People move. The retention rate - percentage of those who move in and stay for at least five years - in AZ is around 60% according to census data. In fact, it is the highest of any metro. Part of the reason for that is the relatively high number of relocations for retirement, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 AM

28 posts, read 61,490 times
Job hunt drives Arizona workers away

Actually this is an article from 2 weeks ago in the AZ Republic. The rate of people moving here is dropping due to the pay scale and opportunities.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM

170 posts, read 325,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I'll say the same to you. Show us the evidence. If you're going to say that we are losing residents, then where did you find that information? Once again, generalizations. "I've never seen", "Phoenix serves no functional purpose to the US economy", Phoenix is a "never will be".Generalizations.
If, as you say, Phoenix is built on serving the retirees, what the hell is wrong with that? They have most of the money. Better to drop some of it here than someplace else like Belize or Mexico.
As for me, I'll certainly accept a retirees money for my product or services.
I guess you live in a fantacy world. Your own newspaper (AZ Republic) did a story like 2 months ago on how people were not moving to AZ anymore, and how people were starting to leave for better economic opportunity elsewhere. The same was true for the large Mexican/illegal population too. Just do a little search.

1. Whether you like it or not, Phoenix and Arizona are retirement places. Period. The Census knows it. America knows it. And Arizonans know it. That being said, as a retirement community, Phoenix is WEAK in attracting and keeping young workers trying to build their career. Its not a coincidence why Arizona's economy is vastly different than CA or points East. And its also not a coincidence why people are leaving AZ or work elsewhere.
2. Its also fact that Phoenix does not serve any functional purpose for the US economy. Most American cities are known by what they do. Examples. San Fran and NY are major financial and trade centers. LA is a center for trade, media and motion pictures. Phily and Boston are major centers for education, healthcare, finance and insurance. Detroit is the auto manufacturing center. Washington DC is the political center (lots of $$ too). Houston is the leading center for energy, healthcare and big oil. Vegas is the entertainment/gaming center. Chicago is a bit of everything. So what about Phoenix??? Nothing. Compared to those places, Phoenix doesnt have an economy and doesnt do anything or make anything. While many cities produce, Phoenix consumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People move. The retention rate - percentage of those who move in and stay for at least five years - in AZ is around 60% according to census data. In fact, it is the highest of any metro. Part of the reason for that is the relatively high number of relocations for retirement, of course.
60% is a FAILING grade and nothing to brag about. I also doubt its the highest in the country.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 PM

391 posts, read 840,902 times
Quote:
I guess you live in a fantacy world. Your own newspaper (AZ Republic) did a story like 2 months ago on how people were not moving to AZ anymore.
I deleted all your baseless facts, but kept one, with no real evidence to back anything up. Good job.

I provided you enough info to show Arizona isn't going anywhere and the type of goods people buy outside of this state, we do export believe it or not. I even provided you a comparison between Marcopa county and Los Angeles county as far as growth. Both were very small in 2011.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-13-2012 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation in the forums is not permitted. Please read the Terms of Service.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:34 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
I guess you live in a fantacy world. Your own newspaper (AZ Republic) did a story like 2 months ago on how people were not moving to AZ anymore, and how people were starting to leave for better economic opportunity elsewhere. The same was true for the large Mexican/illegal population too. Just do a little search.

1. Whether you like it or not, Phoenix and Arizona are retirement places. Period. The Census knows it. America knows it. And Arizonans know it. That being said, as a retirement community, Phoenix is WEAK in attracting and keeping young workers trying to build their career. Its not a coincidence why Arizona's economy is vastly different than CA or points East. And its also not a coincidence why people are leaving AZ or work elsewhere.
2. Its also fact that Phoenix does not serve any functional purpose for the US economy. Most American cities are known by what they do. Examples. San Fran and NY are major financial and trade centers. LA is a center for trade, media and motion pictures. Phily and Boston are major centers for education, healthcare, finance and insurance. Detroit is the auto manufacturing center. Washington DC is the political center (lots of $$ too). Houston is the leading center for energy, healthcare and big oil. Vegas is the entertainment/gaming center. Chicago is a bit of everything. So what about Phoenix??? Nothing. Compared to those places, Phoenix doesnt have an economy and doesnt do anything or make anything. While many cities produce, Phoenix consumes.

60% is a FAILING grade and nothing to brag about. I also doubt its the highest in the country.
Oh my krock...prove it with a link.....your relatives in WI obviously did not want you....we are not the east coast thank god, and people that hate it here need to go, not just come back reincarnated....I like my air....

Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 PM

272 posts, read 609,202 times
Moderator cut: snip

Looks like we'll be adding "2" to the July-Sept Phoenix immigration numbers - our house in Chicago is under contract.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-14-2012 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: Please read the Terms of Service abou this topic.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:29 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Hey,
Well said Grannyroost.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM

371 posts, read 378,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsesta1687 View Post
Job hunt drives Arizona workers away

Actually this is an article from 2 weeks ago in the AZ Republic. The rate of people moving here is dropping due to the pay scale and opportunities.

That's interesting, sounds like a similar story to a unemployed Florida resident. From what I'm hearing, Phoenix may pick up more opportunities from California in the future since they are losing companies due to the high cost of doing business. Motorola is down here too, a friend of mine worked there for a while and got laid off with downsizing, he can't find work and will probably be moving out of state soon.

A lot of people moving to Florida, but a lot left as well. Retirees love it here and AZ as well. I might be one of those people relocating to Phoenix, if all goes as planned, but I won't be retired. The lack of other jobs there concerns me but I'm hoping things change in the next few years with an influx of companies from CA.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 PM

117 posts, read 160,491 times
Arizona is No. 1 for start ups. If that is not workers trying to "build their career" I don't know what is.

10 most entrepreneurial states - Arizona (1) - CNNMoney

Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 PM

484 posts, read 970,169 times
^wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area