Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

This isn't the monsoon yet, but gives ya that lovin feeling. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
East Mesa here. 202 and Brown. Lots of wind and blowing dust. My pool was a mess. lol.
Wind died down after an hour or so, I swept and brushed the pool and now life is good again.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:57 AM

568 posts, read 1,205,680 times
Last year I was such a heat-wimp, but so far this year I feel like a champ: 'Bring it on!' I bluster in my imagined self-image, as I sit in my air-conditioned study with the fan running. But will my swagger survive through the swelter and September swoon? It's so easy, isn't it, to feel cocky in June?!

Seriously, though, I imagine my ancestors on my grandmother's side, who were pioneers (some might say invaders, but please let's leave politics aside for now) traveling westward...wagons, wind, dust, heat. And tangible, ever-present, immediate fears, circling the wagons, circling the wagons, waiting for something to go wrong. Think of them what you will but they must have had a certain toughness that I lack. I wish I could conjure it at will. For all our modern fear of nuclear obliteration and even terrorism, these dangers somehow seem remote in comparison, living here in our dusty, laid-back village of millions. Swimming pools, AC, and ice-skating rinks. Let's face it: we've got it easy.

And then I think of our soldiers, somewhere out there in God knows what dusty backwater of Afghanistan, carrying heavy equipment, having to worry about roadside bombs, and the loved ones they left at home. Who am I to complain? And yet I am weak, so forgive me if I do. My madness I blame on the heat!

Thus, I pray for the wettest of wet monsoons this season, a deluge of Cambodian proportions, of mud and flood (albeit it with no property destruction, no hail, no stuck vehicles or passengers, please, but awesome non-harmful lightning for our desert photographers, yes, that would be nice!). Let the sopping Bermuda grass reign supreme (you know it wants to!), let it encroach and roam freely over our chalky, cracked feet, our park benches, and pavers as if it were creating some desert version of Angkor Wat. I beseech the Rain Gods for the gallons to stream the dust from my car, to dissolve the corrosive salts that eat at my trees, to slop my perfectly coiffed hair that I spent 30 minutes blow-drying for no apparent reason. I hereby petition the clouds to stop hoarding their liquid bounties, to grow dark, plump, and bloated, and to hover like helicopters over CenPho, as if they were a fire crew dumping bladderfulls of relief on our infernal rooftops. I want them to spend and pi$$ like John McCain's drunken sailors; in short, I want them to be Epic-Diluvial. So epic that they make the national news in Cambodia, or Seattle, or...at the very least, that they cause the start of a new thread right here on the Phoenix CD!

Old 06-17-2012, 04:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Last year I was such a heat-wimp, but so far this year I feel like a champ: 'Bring it on!' I bluster in my imagined self-image, as I sit in my air-conditioned study with the fan running. But will my swagger survive through the swelter and September swoon? It's so easy, isn't it, to feel cocky in June?!

Seriously, though, I imagine my ancestors on my grandmother's side, who were pioneers (some might say invaders, but please let's leave politics aside for now) traveling westward...wagons, wind, dust, heat. And tangible, ever-present, immediate fears, circling the wagons, circling the wagons, waiting for something to go wrong. Think of them what you will but they must have had a certain toughness that I lack. I wish I could conjure it at will. For all our modern fear of nuclear obliteration and even terrorism, these dangers somehow seem remote in comparison, living here in our dusty, laid-back village of millions. Swimming pools, AC, and ice-skating rinks. Let's face it: we've got it easy.

And then I think of our soldiers, somewhere out there in God knows what dusty backwater of Afghanistan, carrying heavy equipment, having to worry about roadside bombs, and the loved ones they left at home. Who am I to complain? And yet I am weak, so forgive me if I do. My madness I blame on the heat!

Thus, I pray for the wettest of wet monsoons this season, a deluge of Cambodian proportions, of mud and flood (albeit it with no property destruction, no hail, no stuck vehicles or passengers, please, but awesome non-harmful lightning for our desert photographers, yes, that would be nice!). Let the sopping Bermuda grass reign supreme (you know it wants to!), let it encroach and roam freely over our chalky, cracked feet, our park benches, and pavers as if it were creating some desert version of Angkor Wat. I beseech the Rain Gods for the gallons to stream the dust from my car, to dissolve the corrosive salts that eat at my trees, to slop my perfectly coiffed hair that I spent 30 minutes blow-drying for no apparent reason. I hereby petition the clouds to stop hoarding their liquid bounties, to grow dark, plump, and bloated, and to hover like helicopters over CenPho, as if they were a fire crew dumping bladderfulls of relief on our infernal rooftops. I want them to spend and pi$$ like John McCain's drunken sailors; in short, I want them to be Epic-Diluvial. So epic that they make the national news in Cambodia, or Seattle, or...at the very least, that they cause the start of a new thread right here on the Phoenix CD!
Wow, now I need a cigarette. lol
Nice post

Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Wow, now I need a cigarette. lol
Nice post
And a drink... Whew!! lol

Old 06-17-2012, 04:31 PM

107 posts, read 201,839 times
What's going on with all the dust storms in phoenix? It seems like you guys are really having a lot of these storms since last year and it seems to be carrying over into this year. Why is this happening? Does anybody know? Just wondering because they look really eery!!! Be careful everyone. Have a good summer and try to stay cool!!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcin View Post
What's going on with all the dust storms in phoenix? It seems like you guys are really having a lot of these storms since last year and it seems to be carrying over into this year. Why is this happening? Does anybody know? Just wondering because they look really eery!!! Be careful everyone. Have a good summer and try to stay cool!!
There's nothing unusual about seasonal dust storms in Phoenix, and they're not "carrying over."

Old 06-17-2012, 11:11 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
I just looked at the 14 day forecast as we are heading down next Wednesday and it's forecast to hit 122 degrees on June 27th
It rare to hit 120+ on Earth. Plus forecasting for temperature is only reliable for about 72 hours into the future, anything after that is fair at best.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
It rare to hit 120+ on Earth. Plus forecasting for temperature is only reliable for about 72 hours into the future, anything after that is fair at best.
I beg to differ, it seems there are many places on this rock we call home that regularly hit and exceed 120 degrees. As for the "extended" forecasts even 72 hours is a stretch.

Death Valley, California-This hot area in California can regularly reach temperatures of 134 degrees and can be found in the Mojave Desert.

Dasht-e Lut, Iran- This hottest place is also known for its salt flats, its high dunes, and the distinct possibility that no living creature can possibly survive here. Temperatures here can reach well past 150 degrees
Rub’Al Khali, Saudi Arabia-The temperatures in this hottest place on Earth can often reach more than 130 degrees, making it incredibly inhospitable to most forms of life (except for a few).

Tirat Zvi, Israel-This hottest area, which can regularly reach temperatures of over 120 degrees

Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 AM

800 posts, read 1,910,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post

What this post needs is just a little more cowbell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area