U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is the best East valley city/town/area to live?
Tempe 6 11.54%
Scottsdale 14 26.92%
Mesa 2 3.85%
Chandler 12 23.08%
Gilbert 10 19.23%
Queen Creek 2 3.85%
Apache Junction 0 0%
San Tan Valley 3 5.77%
Other (specify) 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM

1,968 posts, read 2,742,766 times

Advertisements

I decided to do two polls: one for the East Valley and one for the West Valley. Here is the East Valley one here. Note that I included Scottsdale and Apache Junction, which are not always included.

I would probably say Gilbert, not just because I live there, but it has a nice balance of price and location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,547,945 times
Depends.

I would pick Chandler for the good public schools and nice variety of neighborhoods.

Gilbert for the safe family-friendly neighborhoods.

Tempe for the urbanity and nightlife.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM

17,431 posts, read 20,654,290 times
Chandler. Has everything Gilbert does and is more diverse, more tolerant, more convenient, and more upscale (mostly).

Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,715,367 times
It is no contest. Scottsdale by far, especially the far north part.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM

14,117 posts, read 17,529,432 times
Tempe for all of it. The north part for the cultural and entertainment aspects, and the rest of it for neighborhoods, great parks & recreation. Add to that the whole city's diverse population. Great quality of life.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 PM

9,138 posts, read 9,926,596 times
This is a really tough question because I like aspects of many of these cities. I love the entertainment options of Scottsdale. I love the public schools, cultural diversity, geography and jobs with Chandler. I love the safety, cleanliness and homogenous upscale element of Gilbert. I love the political environment, university elements and communities of Tempe. There are also things I don't like about each city. Scottsdale schools could be better and I hate the geography in Scottsdale (pure barren desert) and some of the people can be pretentious. I don't like the conservative politics and fervor of Gilbert. Tempe has many areas that are old and kind of run down and the entertainment options has taken a hit there. Chandler has some really scary parts (areas near downtown Chandler), not as liberal as I would like it to be and it seems like crime has increased there.

Ultimately I voted for Chandler because it has a little bit of everything: great schools, jobs, geography(lakes, trees), cultural diversity, shopping and entertainment(bars) and upscale elements but it was a close decision between Chandler and Scottsdale.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:30 AM

344 posts, read 314,121 times
I picked Mesa only because I really like Las Sendas. Also the fact that its very convienent to all the loops so easy access anywhere. Plus its close to the recreational stuff in the east. If Las Sendas had what I was looking for, I would have bought there.

Probably should have chosen Chandler as the best all around. I really like Scottsdale too but don't see the big attraction.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:08 AM

3,539 posts, read 4,618,352 times
Scottsdale would be my first choice for the high end shopping, dining, and the nightlife. However, it's not all upscale or snooty like some people envision it. The city boundaries extend a long way north to south, and the population is nearly 300,000, so there is really quite a bit of diversity when comparing different parts of north Scottsdale to the McCormick Park area, downtown, Old Town, and the south side. It has also been ranked as America's most livable city.

Tempe would be my second choice because much of the city is condensed, and the Mill Avenue district is a prime spot for nightlife, especially on the weekends. It doesn't look or feel like just another ordinary suburb ... it has character in the form of diverse neighborhoods, and an active downtown area.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,490,322 times
You left off the best. Ahwatukee. Considered 2nd best to Scottsdale, only more centrally located and great for commuting almost anywhere, with stores and restaurants galore, good schools, and beautiful backdrop of mountains.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:36 PM

1,968 posts, read 2,742,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
You left off the best. Ahwatukee. Considered 2nd best to Scottsdale, only more centrally located and great for commuting almost anywhere, with stores and restaurants galore, good schools, and beautiful backdrop of mountains.
Ahwatukee is part of the City of Phoenix. I only listed locations that are recognized by the Census Bureau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area