Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
how exhausting... why are HOAs so popular in Phoenix?
I can't give a Phoenix-specific answer, but many growing counties lacked the funds and resources to build and maintain the infrastructure, plantings, etc. that new subdivisions would require. Hence they "outsourced" (some of) it to private homeowners' associations, who are funded not by property taxes but by association fees. (Maybe the existing inhabitants of the county felt it would be unfair that THEY would have to pay for the new development?)

Gated communities are a natural outgrowth of homeowners' associations, as in addition to feeling safer, homeowners do not want outsiders using things THEY paid for.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
What I loathe is paying for something that should be free... an added expense. Are people in Phoenix so inconsiderate of their neighbors that they'll do whatever they want unless some paid for group calls the law on them?
Not all of them are that inconsiderate, but enough are that it's a problem. There's a pervasive attitude in the U.S., but especially in the Southwest, that the freedom to do anything one pleases is a God-given American right. Heaven knows it's a very attractive proposition. It's a hallmark of what drove many pioneers to settle lands not naturally conducive to human inhabitants (like Phoenix ).

It worked great when houses were ten miles apart. Unfortunately, the more people you get in a given space, the more this "freedom" — often taken to an extreme — has a negative impact when neighbors aren't ten miles away. Perhaps it's normal for Americans to chop down the natural vegetation and park an RV, a boat, and six cars on blocks in the newly emancipated front yard. But the minute those folks are outnumbered by people who would rather look at manicured landscaping (and judging by rjrcm's MLS numbers they are about 3 to 1 today), HOAs enter the picture.

As Bummer suggests, people who "loathe an HOA" ... should "avoid them at all costs." It will limit your choice of houses, but getting the place that's right for you will help you avoid future pain.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times
Quote:
what is wrong with point a car head first towards the street?
Oops, I mean head first toward the sidewalk.

They park their car in the same way you would in a store parking lot, so that the front of the car is pointing toward the curb/sidewalk and the rest of the car is sticking out in the street. You're supposed to park cars parallel to the sidewalk.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM

286 posts, read 639,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Oops, I mean head first toward the sidewalk.

They park their car in the same way you would in a store parking lot, so that the front of the car is pointing toward the curb/sidewalk and the rest of the car is sticking out in the street. You're supposed to park cars parallel to the sidewalk.
Oh, I get it... and I understand that.. Having lived in Socal for a number of years I've seen that as well.. especially Saturday mornings when the fever of Yard Sale maniacs are scowering the landside. And, I can understand it when you have a mix of many different cultures who think it's perfectly normal and perhaps it is in their native country.

Moderator cut: crude

Ok, I feel better now..... well, not really...

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-21-2012 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I think the OP 's question has been answered. Beyond that, there are already many threads in this forum on the pros and cons of HOAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area