Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 PM

40 posts, read 82,177 times

Advertisements

Hi

I made the huge from Alaska to Phoenix, Arizona a little over 2 weeks ago. So far everything is going well. When I arrived, things moved pretty fast as I made the decision to adopt an 8 wk old puggle who melted my heart. In a matter of a couple days, I quickly got unpacked and went on several shopping trips to get furniture and things for my apartments. I went through and puppy proof my apartment and got ready for him to come home. I had about a week to get things ready because he was only 7 wks old at that time. I will start teaching in August so I have some time to enjoy the heat and sun and play with my puppy.

I had the opportunity to visit the DMV on Friday. That is one crazy place. It was so easy to transfer my license and registered my car. The wait was insane. The best part is that it lasts until I am 65. The drivers are a piece of work.

thanks
jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Welcome to the valley! Good news is that you came at the worst of the heat. The rest will be a piece of cake. I imagine you are completely thawed out now. lol
I hope you enjoy our sun, if you are from Alaska, you're long over do for some genuine vitamin D. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Need any advice, let us know.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
Welcome you and enjoy your new addition!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountryski View Post
Hi

I made the huge from Alaska to Phoenix, Arizona a little over 2 weeks ago. So far everything is going well. When I arrived, things moved pretty fast as I made the decision to adopt an 8 wk old puggle who melted my heart. In a matter of a couple days, I quickly got unpacked and went on several shopping trips to get furniture and things for my apartments. I went through and puppy proof my apartment and got ready for him to come home. I had about a week to get things ready because he was only 7 wks old at that time. I will start teaching in August so I have some time to enjoy the heat and sun and play with my puppy.

I had the opportunity to visit the DMV on Friday. That is one crazy place. It was so easy to transfer my license and registered my car. The wait was insane. The best part is that it lasts until I am 65. The drivers are a piece of work.

thanks
jennifer
You sound like you have the right temperament to be happy and successful here Jennifer. I found out the hard way with DMV about efficiency. I know the TOS here doesn't allow bashing a specific location/business. So I will stick to the positive. Any future DMV dealings, go directly to the Tempe DMV at 1703 Larkspur near the Scottsdale line just south of McKellips. By far the most efficient location I have found.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times
I'm a warm weather water guy from NY and got sick of the cold and snow too. If you are from Alaska, I imagine you like skiing. Check out Mount Lemmon near Tucson. Goes from 60 in Tucson to 30 and plenty of snow there and it's a 20 mile drive from Tucson. Imagine. You can ski and then swim outdoors within one hour just by going from 9000 feet to 2500 feet some winter weekend in Tucson.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
Just was swimming with some folks from Oregon who leave tomorrow, and the heat is killing them as well as the cactus, no green grass and too much beige in the NW Valley area. Sooo, if you can handle it so far--at the very worst of the summer--then you will make it here. Me? I've been here 2 years in August and still love it here. The heat for 2 months when I hide is tolerable considering in Chicago you stay in more or less for 5 months of the year due to the now. I like the trade-off here better.

Glad you like it here! Phoenix welcomes you with both arms I am sure!!!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 PM

11 posts, read 22,967 times
Welcome to Phoenix!

I too am from and came from Alaska (Wasilla). What part are you from?

PS, get ready for the worst part of the year comin up!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:26 PM

40 posts, read 82,177 times
Hi

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes. I came from Valdez, AK. After spending last winter with over 400 inches of snow, I was ready to leave Alaska by March.

I used to love skiing until I messed up my knee. After two knee surgeries, I can no longer go downhill. I still go crosscountry skiing.

I can't wait for the monsoon season. What is it anyways? My understanding is that it is rain, lightening, wind and dust storms. What do you do during them if you are driving.

thanks
Jennifer

Old 07-02-2012, 10:41 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountryski View Post
Hi

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes. I came from Valdez, AK. After spending last winter with over 400 inches of snow, I was ready to leave Alaska by March.

I used to love skiing until I messed up my knee. After two knee surgeries, I can no longer go downhill. I still go crosscountry skiing.

I can't wait for the monsoon season. What is it anyways? My understanding is that it is rain, lightening, wind and dust storms. What do you do during them if you are driving.

thanks
Jennifer
Pull over and enjoy the show.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM

11 posts, read 22,967 times
Valdez? Dang, lol. Id move too, no offense

We dont get a lot of rain in downtown Phoenix but man, when it rains it pours. If you want a real show head down to Tucson during the monsoons. Ill never forget the wicked storms that used to go on down there. It would look like WW2 in the night sky x100000.

As far as the dust storms, absolutely disgusting. Valley fever beware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area