U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM

3,294 posts, read 2,866,628 times

Advertisements

AzKicksIt interview with Tim Thomas (one of the club owners):

AzKicksIt Podcast with Garrett & Odeen Featuring Jose E. Garcia, Tim Thomas & Rick Schantz | Azkicksit.com

Two interesting tidbits in the event you don't have time to listen:

- hoping to draw MLS preseason games

- hoping for MLS expansion in 5-10 years

They are also looking all over the valley for a home facility but hoping for a central location.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 PM

I was part of a group that had the opportunity to meet the ownership group for a Q&A earlier today. They let us in on some of the details but asked us not to divulge anything at this time as they intend to officially go public in the coming weeks with all the details. Nothing top secret that would spoil anything but I will respect their wishes. My honest opinion is that they have a solid group and they appear to be willing to do what it takes to make this USL Pro franchise a success.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Davey Robertson will be manager of Phoenix City FC.

azcentral.com blogs - Jose Garcia's soccer blog - JoseGarciaSoccer - USL Pro Valley team names coach, reveals team name

Old 07-16-2012, 09:29 PM

9,122 posts, read 9,884,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
They couldn't think of a better name than Phoenix City FC

Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 PM

7 posts, read 3,818 times
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here.
Glad soccer is being bantered about in a city forum. Good stuff. Anyway, just wanted to let y'all know that we exist. We, as in, the Phoenix pro soccer club supporter's group, La Furia Roja/The Red Fury 1881. We started the group in anticipation of a team like this. (Side note: "Phoenix City FC" isn't bad. It's not the best. But it's better than a lot of names they could have gone with that other teams ultimately decided on.)

We had an exclusive meeting with the new ownership group and learned a lot of things that aren't public yet, much of that we posted in our members-only group page on facebook.

A little bit more about us: Our aim is to support this new team (given it actually happens, lol) to the fullest and help the fan base and sport grow in the Valley. We are akin to The Angel City Brigade of the LA Galaxy, Timber's Army of the Portland Timbers, Emerald City Supporters of the Seattle Sounders and Sons of Ben of the Philadelphia Union. Our mission is to create a unique atmosphere at matches -- waving flags, signing, chanting, jumping and creating and unveiling banners/tifos.

We are not hooligans. We adhere to our own code of conduct. To view that and any information and if you are interested in joining us and our cause, check out our facebook page (facebook.com/LFR1881).

Here are a couple of videos of the kind of atmosphere we aim to create once this team begins to play matches: The Timbers Army reacts to the first Timbers goal vs. LA - YouTube and Best MLS fans 2011 - YouTube

We've gone from 20 members to 125 (though, admittedly, not all of them active) in just four months of existence. So we're stupid excited about everything that's happening.

Viva futbol.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
They couldn't think of a better name than Phoenix City FC
The ownership group is half European. I am happy we have a traditional football club name. Another proposed name, I heard, was Arizona United. Yeah. I'm glad they went with Phoenix City FC.

Other suggestions were Phoenix 1881 FC, Phoenix FC, Phoenix SC, Phoenix Valley SC and a few others but the ownership had already registered the name and some of the proposed names (and other options the came up with) were already registered. It's not as easy as you think.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 AM

9,122 posts, read 9,884,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's not as easy as you think.
It's not easy to think of a name other than Phoenix City FC, Phoenix SC, Phoenix Valley SC and Arizona United, yeah the task seems so complex

There are the Antigua Barracuda FC, Charleston Battery, Charlotte Eagles, Dayton Dutch Lions, Harrisburg City Islanders, Los Angeles Blues, Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Richmond Kickers, Rochester Rhinos and Wilmington Hammerheads.

The only team with a name as lame as ours is the Orlando City. At least the other cities attempted to come up with a unique name.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-17-2012 at 01:11 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's not easy to think of a name other than Phoenix City FC, Phoenix SC, Phoenix Valley SC and Arizona United, yeah the task seems so complex

There are the Antigua Barracuda FC, Charleston Battery, Charlotte Eagles, Dayton Dutch Lions, Harrisburg City Islanders, Los Angeles Blues, Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Richmond Kickers, Rochester Rhinos and Wilmington Hammerheads.

The only team with a name as lame as ours is the Orlando City. At least the other cities attempted to come up with a unique name.
Rhinos and Hammerheads are terrible and I'm glad this group didn't go that route. Also, there was the name registration issue. Some names were already taken and they opted for a classic football style that was available.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 AM

745 posts, read 972,014 times
Thanks for keeping with the updates Bondurant! Looks as though my "guess" of 5-7 years wasn't too far off. I too agree, that no matter what the "commissioner" says, there's simply no way MLS will have a Phoenix team in < 3 years, and even that is almost a pipe dream. But 5 years isn't too bad, I can live with it. I'll still be attending the Phoenix city FC games.
Although, I wish they would have dropped the "city" part. oh well. Cool that their Director is affiliated with Sereno!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM

603 posts, read 431,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedFury1881 View Post
...and Sons of Ben of the Philadelphia Union.
I'm only an occasional soccer fan, but I've got a bunch of S.O.B. gear because their fans and gear are awesome (it's certainly not because of how well the Union are playing). I hope you guys follow their model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area