Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 PM

570 posts, read 999,152 times

Advertisements

Driving from one end of the valley to the other can take up to an hour, sometimes longer, depending on the time of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,491,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
Driving from one end of the valley to the other can take up to an hour, sometimes longer, depending on the time of day.
If the I-10 or the 202 are backed up because of accidents and whatnot it can take up to an hour just driving from Avondale to Tempe as I do every weekday.

Add duststorms or rain to the mix and it can take longer, many people don't know how to drive too well here when the weather is bad.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Another interesting fact I read somewhere (might have been here on CD) was that the size of Maricopa County (in sq. miles) is larger than the entire state of New Jersey!
I tell newcomers a similar thing on the Tucson C-D forum. Pima County is almost identical in size to the state of Connecticut. It gives people, especially from the East, some perspective. Many people coming to Arizona from afar think that anything in Pima County is "Tucson." In fact, the City of Tucson is a tiny portion of Pima (226 sq. miles of Pima's 9,188 sq. miles) and contains less than half of the county's population.

Readers don't improve their education much looking at Wikipedia either. Wikipedia lists the population of "Tucson Metropolitan Area" as 3 million while at the same time listing the population of Pima County as less than one million (which is the more correct figure as it was hovering near a million five years ago, but has since gone down rather than up).

Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM

800 posts, read 1,906,299 times
Apparently many people from out of state have NO idea how big the Valley is, as I often get emails from people telling me they want to buy a house in either Surprise, Maricopa, Buckeye, or San Tan Valley, yet they are unsure where they will be working when they move here.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM

97 posts, read 228,840 times
The Valley of the Sun is vast. One actually needs to see a view from space to see what metro Phoenix is. I have seen the images several times, here is one place you might search: Watching the World Go By : Feature Articles and here: The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth

This one isn't very good - but you can see, 'Phoenix' is one big amoeba shaped metro area: http://www.rudepalace.com/img01/cities-by-night20.jpg The various cities that make up the Valley just run together. Late at night I've driven at 75 mph for an hour - and never got out of town !

Moderator cut: off topic

They have many stunningly beautiful images of our little planet, enjoy !

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-05-2012 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 AM

8,029 posts, read 12,217,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Apparently many people from out of state have NO idea how big the Valley is, as I often get emails from people telling me they want to buy a house in either Surprise, Maricopa, Buckeye, or San Tan Valley, yet they are unsure where they will be working when they move here.
Yes, and chances are that if they buy in one of those far flung suburbs, their commute time to work is going to be a pain in the rump ... that is, if they even have a job lined up before they move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Century25 View Post
The Valley of the Sun is vast. One actually needs to see a view from space to see what metro Phoenix is. I have seen the images several times, here is one place you might search: Watching the World Go By : Feature Articles and here: The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth
The satellite maps you can get from NOAA, as well as the ones they show on the TV weather segments, also give an idea how vast the nation's metro areas are. Looking at the image of Phoenix from space, you can pretty much pinpoint where that dreaded heat island is located!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 AM

8,029 posts, read 12,217,664 times
For those who think Phoenix is still some small or mid sized laid back resort city, read these statistics:

Phoenix metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
As of April 1, 2010 the Census Bureau reported that the two-county metropolitan area had a population of 4,192,887, making it the 14th largest metro area in the United States, just behind the Inland Empire of California and ahead of Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue area of Washington. Metro Phoenix grew by 941,011 people from April 2000 to April 2010. It is home to more than two-thirds of Arizona's population.
Phoenix Traffic
Quote:
Metro Phoenix is one of the most heavily congested regions for automobile traffic in the nation, as is shown consistently in various national transportation studies.
Quote:
According to another traffic study by the Texas Transportation Institute, the TTI ranked metro Phoenix #6 out of the top 20 most congested cities as measured by the number of hours commuters endured in extra travel time during rush hour traffic... the TTI determined metro Phoenix residents waste approx. an extra 61 hours per year traveling in local rush-hour traffic.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:00 AM

3,820 posts, read 9,438,571 times
Last time I was back in Phoenix for work I had to visit all of the RV parks & service centers which for the most part are on the edge of town. Based myself over by Metrocenter Mall and it took about an hour to get to the western edge and about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to the edge of Apache Jct. So to get from one edge of town to the other edge of town will take over two hours of city driving.

Moving back to Phoenix because I am in sales and can find more potential clients within a 10 mile radius of my house than I can driving 6 hours either way of my current location.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 PM

391 posts, read 786,340 times
the only absolute about traffic is that the flow is determined by the lowest contributor. If someone decides a dust storm/accident/whatever, is worthy of their slowing down, then they determine the rate traffic will flow. Drives me crazy but thats life.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 PM

582 posts, read 1,479,069 times
Someone moving here from other major metro areas such as Chicago, LA. The Bay Area, Houston, etc. won't find the traffic here all that stifling. They can easily deal with a metro area of 4.5 million people.

Many of the Midwesterners who come here from North and South Dakota, and who consider Sioux Falls or Fargo big with 200,000-240,000 people, may have some adjusting to do.

Phoenix with it's grid like layout of all numbered streets ( many locals here have gotten around for years on surface streets) is the easiest town to navigate in the country. It's very hard to get lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area