Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:50 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,296 times

Advertisements

Another thing to remember is air quality. The winds blow into the valley from the west about 90% of the time. That means the most polluted air is found in the central phoenix and east valley, as the currents gather all the polluted air from the valley and push it east. Therefore the cleanest air is found in the west valley, west of 99th Avenue all the way to the White Tank Mountains.

During winter, the polluted "inversion" smog cloud can be seen sitting over the Central and Eastern Valley of Phoenix. The smog cloud starts around 99th Avenue, heads east all the way to eastern Mesa, then north to Deer Valley Airport and then south to South Mountain. That is where the smog cloud sits during fall - spring. Aerial photos and shots from the White Tank Mountains, South Mountain, Superstition Mountain shows the area the smog settles in.

Besides areas like north Phoenix/Anthem, the west valley still sees the highest diurnal temperatures from day to night. So it cools off more at night in the west valley than it does in Central and Eastern Phoenix.

Lastly, 95% of all Haboob/dust storms come from the southeast valley areas like Casa Grande and hit the Chandler, Mesa, south & Central Phoenix areas more than they do hit the western most valley area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:18 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
If you're just going to the store, why the big hurry? Why would it matter? What's a few more minutes in traffic?
If you can afford new homes, big vehicles,etc., then why are people worried about some gas money?
Most people in PHX don't work, so it's baffling how they have a problem with traffic.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:16 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
Well, I meant, the Dicks would bring a couple hundred jobs to people, but we wouldn't be able to shop there or anything. So to me, it serves the purpose of giving jobs, but not really anything else to anyone else around. It would be cool if we could pick up items there ourselves though and save shipping charges on orders from Dicks.
There is one at Arrowhead. But give it time, with the highway and the rooftops will come every imaginable chain store. It's going to be wall to wall, mall to mall from Goodyear to Surprise in 10 more years.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 AM

7,177 posts, read 9,225,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
If you're just going to the store, why the big hurry? Why would it matter? What's a few more minutes in traffic?
If you can afford new homes, big vehicles,etc., then why are people worried about some gas money?
Most people in PHX don't work, so it's baffling how they have a problem with traffic.
"Most people in PHX don't work"!? Huh? Where do you get that from?

"What's a few more minutes in traffic?" Most people I know don't really enjoy driving in heavy traffic.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There is one at Arrowhead. But give it time, with the highway and the rooftops will come every imaginable chain store. It's going to be wall to wall, mall to mall from Goodyear to Surprise in 10 more years.
This is quite true and is a bittersweet ending. While I think we'll enjoy some good appreciation on our house we currently enjoy being surrounded by the farms that will soon be gone.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
The WalMart on the west side of the 303 is already built and opened last month. The east side of the 303 is still yet to be determined, hence "market driven", meaning if the market demands another WalMart (if busy enough) , they will build another one.
Oh. Well... that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Two walmarts right next to eachother? Psh. I'm a lil disappointed the walmart there is smaller than usual ones and isn't 24 hours, but we don't need 2 of them so close together. I'd rather they built a bookstore or somewhere I can go lounge and read.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
"Most people in PHX don't work"!? Huh? Where do you get that from?

"What's a few more minutes in traffic?" Most people I know don't really enjoy driving in heavy traffic.
I think the assumption that most don't work anyway, is pretty good. We still have a high unemployment around, (so I guess we could say, maybe 1 in 5 between 16-65 yrs old don't work), then we still have the all the elderly that obviously don't work.

I work from typically 3am-11am, and when I get off and do some shopping before heading home for the day, I see so much traffic (out in west Surprise) that I just can't help muttering "doesn't anyone friggin work anymore?!" ha. There should not be that much traffic at noon.

Oh, but then we also have wives who choose to not work too.

So, really, I guess it's quite a lot of people out here, overall, that don't work. If you ask me.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Quote:
Oh. Well... that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Two walmarts right next to eachother? Psh. I'm a lil disappointed the walmart there is smaller than usual ones and isn't 24 hours, but we don't need 2 of them so close together. I'd rather they built a bookstore or somewhere I can go lounge and read.
there won't be two Walmarts together.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:15 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,296 times
Quote:
They won't be across the street from each other, they would be separated by a few miles. Places like Prescott have 2 Walmart's with a 3rd one going in by 2013.

If you look at the west valley there is a WalMart on I-10 and Dysart and then another one at I-10 and Estrella Parkway, only 3.5 miles from each other. In addition there is ANOTHER WalMart on Indian School which is only 3 miles from the Dysart one. So in essence you have THREE WalMart stores all within a 3.5 mile radius of each other.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
They won't be across the street from each other, they would be separated by a few miles. Places like Prescott have 2 Walmart's with a 3rd one going in by 2013.

If you look at the west valley there is a WalMart on I-10 and Dysart and then another one at I-10 and Estrella Parkway, only 3.5 miles from each other. In addition there is ANOTHER WalMart on Indian School which is only 3 miles from the Dysart one. So in essence you have THREE WalMart stores all within a 3.5 mile radius of each other.
Walmart at I-10 and Dysart is in Avondale. The one near I-10 and Estrella Pkwy is in Goodyear. The store at Indian School and Litchfield Rd is a Neighborhood Market (basically a grocery store similar to Fry's, Safeway, etc). I would assume the individual cities in the west valley may have had a hand on multiple "Walmarts" near each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area