Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:42 PM

33 posts, read 81,618 times

Advertisements

My friend's family has owned property nearby for years. They tell us stories of seeing hikers going ill prepared into the mountains. A gallon of water is not enough; not in this hot desert it isn't. If you go out there, pack granola bars, trail mix, plenty of water, gps as mentioned before, appropriate clothing, boots (not sneakers or sandal type shoes) and tell people where you are going.

We know the story of the Lost Dutchman well, but really do not believe in all the hocus pocus. However, there has been some strange deaths near that way that need to be investigated. For one, there is record of hermits living in the caves/area camping out. This is all common knowledge for anyone that spends a decent amount of time out there and nearby.

If you go, have a route and stick to it. Plan accordingly, these deserts are no joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
Wouldn't someone hiking in these mountains carry a cell phone in case they got lost, or would it not work??

Old 07-07-2012, 11:30 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,667 times
I rode my motorcycle out to the Coke Ovens south of Superior a few years ago. with a group of about 10 others. We were very well prepared - fuel, water, food, guns, tools, gps, you name it, we had it. It was the day after Thanksgiving and it was still hot as hell out there and took us a solid eight hours to ride 30 miles in that terrain. One guy's bike broke down and had to be left there overnight, and several of us had other major issues. It was dark when we were riding out of there and we saw all kinds of critter tracks. No cell phones worked out there. We were all pretty shaken up by that experience. I can't imagine going out there on foot in the summer and all alone. That's a suicide mission. I would love to do some more exploring out that way, but will never do it alone and without more than adequate preparation.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 AM

112 posts, read 262,640 times
Unless you have a satellite phone, a cell phone is likely to be an expensive paper weight when you get out there.

As far as the 'hermits' who hang out in the caves - are they armed or likely to have bad intentions for anyone who stumbles across their domain? Sounds crazy, but I suppose it's possible they may do something if they feel like they are being bothered and have a chance to "get away with murder."

Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfromcornwall View Post
My friend's family has owned property nearby for years. They tell us stories of seeing hikers going ill prepared into the mountains. A gallon of water is not enough; not in this hot desert it isn't. If you go out there, pack granola bars, trail mix, plenty of water, gps as mentioned before, appropriate clothing, boots (not sneakers or sandal type shoes) and tell people where you are going.

We know the story of the Lost Dutchman well, but really do not believe in all the hocus pocus. However, there has been some strange deaths near that way that need to be investigated. For one, there is record of hermits living in the caves/area camping out. This is all common knowledge for anyone that spends a decent amount of time out there and nearby.

If you go, have a route and stick to it. Plan accordingly, these deserts are no joke.
Hermits in caves hiding out? Never heard that one, that's bizzar....people are actually living out there?

And everything is hocus pocus until it is proven. Maybe one day someone will run across the lost dutchman ooooooo.......spppookkyy hahahaha

Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM

701 posts, read 1,096,921 times
I was out in the Superstitions hiking with a group once, and one guy in the group got heat exhaustion and couldn't stand up anymore. I don't think most people realize just how quickly you go from "I'm a little warm" to not being able to stand up. Obviously, once you can't stand up, with the sun overhead, there isn't much hope. If he hadn't been in a group, this guy wouldn't have lived either.

Btw, as far as cell phones go, you can buy an emergency beacon these days: Personal Locator Beacons at REI - FREE U.S. STANDARD SHIPPING No minimum purchase!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 AM

7,169 posts, read 9,224,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Hermits in caves hiding out? Never heard that one, that's bizzar....people are actually living out there?

And everything is hocus pocus until it is proven. Maybe one day someone will run across the lost dutchman ooooooo.......spppookkyy hahahaha
In college in the 70s, I used to backpack in the Superstitions occassionally. I did hear from one of my friends that there were places, I forget where, that over protective prospectors would fire warning shots at strangers getting too close to their digs.

On one such trek I talked to some prospectors. They were armed of course. They were convinced they had found the old Peralta mine. The problem was the mine was deep and the lower levels were flooded. At the time, around 1980, the price of gold was about $800/ounce. So they were trying to find investors to come up with enough money to pump the mine out. Never saw them again so have no idea how they came out.

The Superstitions are beautiful. Well worth the trek. Listen to the wind flowing thru the canyons sometime. But I agree with those who advise better preparation. Heat prostration, exhaustion, dehydration is no joke. Something as simple as a sprained ankle could have you spending the night on the trail. Which is not the end of the world if you're prepared.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
In college in the 70s, I used to backpack in the Superstitions occassionally. I did hear from one of my friends that there were places, I forget where, that over protective prospectors would fire warning shots at strangers getting too close to their digs.

On one such trek I talked to some prospectors. They were armed of course. They were convinced they had found the old Peralta mine. The problem was the mine was deep and the lower levels were flooded. At the time, around 1980, the price of gold was about $800/ounce. So they were trying to find investors to come up with enough money to pump the mine out. Never saw them again so have no idea how they came out.

The Superstitions are beautiful. Well worth the trek. Listen to the wind flowing thru the canyons sometime. But I agree with those who advise better preparation. Heat prostration, exhaustion, dehydration is no joke. Something as simple as a sprained ankle could have you spending the night on the trail. Which is not the end of the world if you're prepared.
Back in the 1977, a group of us found a mine shaft that was filled with water - made a nice swimming hole and party place. A prospector showed up - long beard, scruffy with his mule and shot gun - encouraging us to depart. No shots were fired, but we left in a hurry!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM

246 posts, read 400,862 times
My wife and I like hiking in the Superstitions, but we never even think about going out there in the hot months. I don't know why anyone would. Just too much heat and sun and if something goes wrong things can get really bad really quick when you're a ways from the trailhead on a really hot day and there's almost no shade out there. Also, if the hiker was trying to get near Weaver's Needle, that's a good long hike from First Water trailhead. IIRC, the Black Mesa loop, which is one of the main ways to get down by Weaver's Needle from that side, is about 10 miles altogether. I'd never try doing that in the summer heat.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,003 times
I lived in Arizona for 30 years and never made it to the Superstitions. I heard all the stories and very much enjoy the lore.
The only connection I have with the Superstitions is a song/poem I wrote for a lady named Fiona. She mentioned she had never heard a song with her name in it. So, I wrote one for her. It's called "My Sweet Fiona" and she is the one to get lost in Arizona - in the Superstitions.
I hope it's ok to share it here, rather than in the writing section. ( I actually prefer to share my works in related threads.)
MY SWEET FIONA

We went searching for the Lost Dutchman's mine
My sweet Fiona and I
Looking for treasure buried 'neath the Earth
was a dream we had to try

Our journey led us west to untamed land
once the home for wildlife
Now we trod a path traveled yet again
Me and Fiona, my wife

Knapsacks on our backs, we hiked desert trails
til the sun shone bright at noon
Then we stopped to rest in the heat of day
awaiting the bright, full moon

With moonlight as our guide, we climbed the hills
Not speaking, we hiked along
I turned to her - to lend a helping hand
But sweet Fiona was gone

My precious one Fiona
got lost in Arizona
searching for the gold
In them thar hills
My precious one Fiona
belongs to Arizona
her spirit wanders
in the canyons still

A long night's search til the dawning of day
And no Fiona in sight
Shattered dreams of gold in them thar mountains
lost with Fiona that night

Without my sweet Fiona I went home
A bitter end to our dream
No showers of gold dust, no mountain tamed
Nothing left for me it seems

Now I hear it is said, as rumors fly,
That the mountains just aren't right
I haven't heard them say...but I believe
Fiona's songs welcome night

They say on a clear night you can hear her call
A sad echo fills the air
My sweet Fiona singing to the moon
Lovely, sweet Fiona fair

My precious one Fiona
Got lost in Arizona
searching for the gold
in them thar hills
my precious one Fiona
belongs to Arizona
her spirit wanders
in the canyons still

(c) Copyright 1998
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area