Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 8,165 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have gone through this forum with a fine tooth comb to get some answers on my up coming move to Phoenix. I was so sure I wanted to move to Phoenix (and still want to), but now with all the opposing opinions about Phoenix, I am terrified of moving now! Just a little history: My husband and I live in Wisconsin. We recently visited Phoenix and Gilbert. I have an aunt and a few friends there. We both fell in love with the city so we're planning to move by December 2012. I am not a huge fan of the heat, but I can handle it compared to the blistering winters in Wisconsin. My aunt has a home in Gilbert, which is where we'll be staying until we get jobs (rent free)! Now I am aware everyone feels you should have a job FIRST, but it's been difficult because of us being out of state. We do put her address on our resume, but still no real bites yet. We both work in healthcare as radiologic technologists. We both have full time jobs (which I'm not thrilled with mine) in Wisconsin but we're willing to leave to start a new life in Arizona. I know every city has it's ups and downs and I know the economy doesn't help either...I think I'm just deathly afraid of not making the money I'm accustomed to, or even worse having to settle for a minimum wage job. My gut says still move but my brain says otherwise!!!!! I'm sure I would be afraid with any city but I'm just confused and terrified!!!!! What do you think????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
If you can move out here and live rent free, in a city you "fell in love with" and the job situation doesn't work out, you could move back, or go elsewhere. You don't have children, you don't own a home. Jobs in your field may pick up in the fall, so if your goal is by December you still may get there. How much savings do you have ? (I realize you won't have rent, but you still need other money to live on). How do RT jobs pay here, compared to what you make now?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Are you finding jobs as RT's? There a few schools here for it and I know it got saturated a bit. (I went to RT school for about 6 months before changing majors)

Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
When I got out of the service years and years ago I had the choice of returning to my home state (Wisconsin) or staying in AZ. Went through the same things. My wife and I worried. She even lost the job she had lined up in Tucson for after I got out. I decided to stay, went to school here, got a job in AZ, had a great career making a really good income and retired early to enjoy fishing, travel, and too much time on C-D. We had some tough financial times at times. We stuck to it though. I lost the wife along the way, but she is a very successful business woman in AZ now (oh, well, who knew, LOL). You will never, ever be so free as you are now. There will be mortgages, and cars and kids, and family ties that bind you. Take advantage of your relative freedom. It is a gift that flashes by briefly in one's life and then goes away one day.

To the more practical: Medical is the field to be in and AZ is one of the hottest markets for medical expansion as boomers age and the city grows. It is hard to imagine how you would go wrong in the long view.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:22 PM

211 posts, read 544,044 times
im in your situation also. I have always wanted to move to AZ, I Love the warm weather and sun etc. The east coast im just so sick of the winters and depressing 8 months of year, and i mean real depressing when its cold from Nov-March or April then rains all of May-June and still over in 60s..so summer last july aug sept and its over ..my dream has been to move to AZ and get away for many years now. I went out to AZ in June to see friends and Loved it..loved Gilbert,chandler and scottsdale and did sedona (gorgeous)..We looked at lots of houses while there.
ONE advantage with my east coast home is i could rent it out and move to AZ and the rent would pay for both my East coast home and AZ home. Or i could sell my home on east coast and Own my house in AZ with no mortgage. The decision is very hard to decide. I also am fortunate to have saved alot of money, so even being without a job for a year i would still be finacially fine.
Im in the Hair industry so finding a job cutting hair would not be difficult and ive been doing it for 8 years. Im also contemplating on opening my own Shop. I work for myself now and have been for 8 years and love being my own boss.

so i know how you feel monicajay, my heart says go go before its too late. Im 40 and still young so i figure nothing to loose especially being finacially sound.

i also think you being in the healthcare field you would do fine.

all input would be appreciated

Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
You can find a job easily. The real question you need to address is: are you willing to work a job you don't want and for less money while you search for a better job?

Also, do you have a nest egg you're willing to put on the line?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,165 times
We are willing to take a less paying job while looking in our fields. As of now we have about 13,000 saved. Not much but we're praying we'll find work. The salaries are pretty close between Wisconsin and Arizona. I have been a technologist for over 15 years so I hope I would be compensated for my experience as well. I am finding R.T. jobs in AZ which gives me hope too! Sunni2012, we're close in age, I'm 37; I've been thinking the same way! We're young we might as well go for it!!! Thanks everyone, more feedback would be helpful!!!

Last edited by monicajay; 07-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: adding more comments

Old 07-12-2012, 06:59 PM

784 posts, read 923,064 times
With us now owning a vacation house in the Phoenix area my wife and I inquired in a few positions to test the market.....we both were offered positions after just a couple of weeks of replying to resumes with incomes near or better than we currently have.

If you have marketable skills, knowledge and experience you shouldn't have a problem finding a good job.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
im in your situation also. I have always wanted to move to AZ, I Love the warm weather and sun etc. The east coast im just so sick of the winters and depressing 8 months of year, and i mean real depressing when its cold from Nov-March or April then rains all of May-June and still over in 60s..so summer last july aug sept and its over ..my dream has been to move to AZ and get away for many years now. I went out to AZ in June to see friends and Loved it..loved Gilbert,chandler and scottsdale and did sedona (gorgeous)..We looked at lots of houses while there.
ONE advantage with my east coast home is i could rent it out and move to AZ and the rent would pay for both my East coast home and AZ home. Or i could sell my home on east coast and Own my house in AZ with no mortgage. The decision is very hard to decide. I also am fortunate to have saved alot of money, so even being without a job for a year i would still be finacially fine.
Im in the Hair industry so finding a job cutting hair would not be difficult and ive been doing it for 8 years. Im also contemplating on opening my own Shop. I work for myself now and have been for 8 years and love being my own boss.

so i know how you feel monicajay, my heart says go go before its too late. Im 40 and still young so i figure nothing to loose especially being finacially sound.

i also think you being in the healthcare field you would do fine.

all input would be appreciated
Open a shop up by one of the retirement communities. They love a good salon. You sound pretty well off for a move. I think you'll do just fine. Come put your flip flops on and relax a bit. It's nice.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicajay View Post
Hello All,

I have gone through this forum with a fine tooth comb to get some answers on my up coming move to Phoenix. I was so sure I wanted to move to Phoenix (and still want to), but now with all the opposing opinions about Phoenix, I am terrified of moving now! Just a little history: My husband and I live in Wisconsin. We recently visited Phoenix and Gilbert. I have an aunt and a few friends there. We both fell in love with the city so we're planning to move by December 2012. I am not a huge fan of the heat, but I can handle it compared to the blistering winters in Wisconsin. My aunt has a home in Gilbert, which is where we'll be staying until we get jobs (rent free)! Now I am aware everyone feels you should have a job FIRST, but it's been difficult because of us being out of state. We do put her address on our resume, but still no real bites yet. We both work in healthcare as radiologic technologists. We both have full time jobs (which I'm not thrilled with mine) in Wisconsin but we're willing to leave to start a new life in Arizona. I know every city has it's ups and downs and I know the economy doesn't help either...I think I'm just deathly afraid of not making the money I'm accustomed to, or even worse having to settle for a minimum wage job. My gut says still move but my brain says otherwise!!!!! I'm sure I would be afraid with any city but I'm just confused and terrified!!!!! What do you think????
Well, I'd try it. I'm pretty sure you'll find a job here, we are full of people needing ct's mri's etc. I see jobs posted for those all the time. I don't think you'll have a big problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area