U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 AM

16 posts, read 40,365 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a relatively new or brand new home. But I want to have a non HOA home. I currently have a very nice home, but my HOA is preventing me to do whatever I really need to store on my property, i.e. tow truck, auto race car trailer, diesel trucks, maybe a mancave/workshop, etc.

I currently have 1/4 acre. So I'm looking for something at least around 1 acre or more. I've seen some homes out by I-10 the next exit west of the 85 Gila bend offramp. But that just seems a bit too far for me.

I wouldn't mind around Anthem or Carefree or even Cavecreek area.

I've heard all my family members talking about $300k homes with no hoa's and acre lots near Happy Valley as well. But there appears to be none in that area with no HOA nor near an acre on refin, realtor, etc.

Any suggestions for my search? I'm looking for at least 2800 or so sq ft. prefer 3000+.

I'm using a VA loan if that matters. I've purchased my home around $210k and it's worth about $240k now a year old.

I'm just looking for a place to organize my toys. I'm not a trashy neighbor at all, i'm a bit young, 24, and a disabled veteran from the Iraq war. I have a nice Subaru STi and a nice ass Mercedes E63. I'm getting hassled about a truck parking in my own street with my HOA and I want even more trucks and auto trailers. So I just want out of the whole HOA deal. And the extra $120 a month can go towards my mortgage, which at 30 year loan and 3.5% deals i'm getting right now, would get me into a much better home without suffocating myself!

I'm seeing 2 homes for sale where I mentioned earlier on I-10 and Palo Verde/Sun Valley Parkway. One was for $200k, new home, over an acre, and the other was a $180k home, same builder, yet looked like it didn't have granite counter tops which are really nice especially considering I have them in my current home and love them.

Link to the two homes I like:

I'm just asking for suggestions on where to look specifically, i.e. website. Or if you know any home builders that have huge lots with no HOA's.

30110 W Mckinley St, Buckeye, AZ 85396 | MLS# 4761431
$200k

29919 W Pierce St, Buckeye, AZ 85396 | MLS# 4650551
$180k

That extra $20k could go a long way for me, as that will be what I'm going to profit from my home if I sold it, to help build a concrete fence, pave circular driveway, and r/v gate, I could probably even fit a 32'x32' garage/mancave in that budget as well if I contracted it myself!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 AM

14,198 posts, read 17,750,597 times
Anthem? Carefree? I would forget that. Cave Creek may depend on where exactly you mean. New construction on that size lot in a desirable area without an HOA would more likely be a custom home, at a custom price. Those Buckeye homes may be your best bet, although it looks like the cheaper one DOES have an HOA. Even without an HOA ,still check local zcity or county zoning ordinances.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 AM
F40

826 posts, read 369,671 times
I think you may have a easier time for your self maybe looking at something that is in a unincorporated area, maybe horse peoperty? I think Hoa,s are not going to be your only problem but neighbors also may complain, and the city may hassel you instead of a Hoa.

Thank you for your service. Good luck

Old 07-19-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
I think you may have a easier time for your self maybe looking at something that is in a unincorporated area, maybe horse peoperty? I think Hoa,s are not going to be your only problem but neighbors also may complain, and the city may hassel you instead of a Hoa.

Thank you for your service. Good luck
Well I doubt neighbors would bother me about relatively nice cars and truck neatly parked on my own property. I understand this may be a problem as well, but at least I won't have HOA foreclosing my house because I refuse to pay for a violation or something.

My price is anywhere under $400k, I like the areas east and south or even north of Anthem, specifically carefree and cavecreek area.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantry View Post
Well I doubt neighbors would bother me about relatively nice cars and truck neatly parked on my own property. I understand this may be a problem as well, but at least I won't have HOA foreclosing my house because I refuse to pay for a violation or something.

My price is anywhere under $400k, I like the areas east and south or even north of Anthem, specifically carefree and cavecreek area.
You are talking about getting MORE "trucks", and "auto trailers", etc. Sounds like more than just a few vehicles neatly parked. I would stay out of upscale areas like Carefree (where town ordinances could be a problem, even, assuming you could find something in your price range); Cave Creek would depend on what you mean by Cave Creek. Also, the land is not particularly flat in Carefree and in some places, Cave Creek. Actually, I think the Buckeye area would work really well, or maybe something out in the north of Carefree Highway area east of I-17 (nowhere near Carefree itself-- not sure about new construction in that area, haven't been out there in a long time. But, there are some larger parcels, and it's mostly flat in that area, too.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You are talking about getting MORE "trucks", and "auto trailers", etc. Sounds like more than just a few vehicles neatly parked. I would stay out of upscale areas like Carefree (where town ordinances could be a problem, even, assuming you could find something in your price range); Cave Creek would depend on what you mean by Cave Creek. Also, the land is not particularly flat in Carefree and in some places, Cave Creek. Actually, I think the Buckeye area would work really well, or maybe something out in the north of Carefree Highway area east of I-17 (nowhere near Carefree itself-- not sure about new construction in that area, haven't been out there in a long time. But, there are some larger parcels, and it's mostly flat in that area, too.
I've been looking into that area east of the I-17 north of carefree highway. I don't know what I call that area, but I like it.

I guess Desert Hills? Would this be an ok area for me?

I also went to go look at the two homes today. The one for $180k, the brown one. Seemed a bit beat up. But would be a great fixer uper. The tan peach rust colored one isn't too bad.

But here is what irks me with this neighborhood. I can't find the builder, I guess they went bust, and stopped building houses. I talked to the firemen out there, who basically have a house for a fire station, that looks exactly like that one there, and they said the builder I guess went bankrupt, and stopped building homes. But somehow still own the lots yet won't build anymore? The ones for sale are not new, and they both have no HOA!

Last edited by infantry; 07-19-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I've been looking into that area east of the I-17 north of carefree highway. I don't know what I call that area, but I like it.

I think that general area would be well worth looking in. There may be some homes west of I-17 in that area too, but I'm even less familiar with that side.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Sco

4,261 posts, read 2,248,124 times
Quote:

You won't find any new builds in that area without HOAs. You are going to have to look for large possibly horse properties on county islands. Even without HOAs, you are going to have issues with city ordinances and code violations.

You could also look for commercial properties in industrial areas. They would give you the parking space and freedom you are looking for, but you would not be living in a typical suburban tract home.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
You won't find any new builds in that area without HOAs. You are going to have to look for large possibly horse properties on county islands. Even without HOAs, you are going to have issues with city ordinances and code violations.

You could also look for commercial properties in industrial areas. They would give you the parking space and freedom you are looking for, but you would not be living in a typical suburban tract home.
There aren't going to be many new builds around there, but you do see them on a more isolated basis in areas like that. Won't hurt to look.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:21 PM

3,229 posts, read 5,922,269 times
There is horse/farm property in Surprise and Waddell that might meet your needs. My suggestion would to find a real estate agent and discuss your needs with him/her. They will give you access to up to date listings based on your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area