U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM

17,571 posts, read 20,884,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Therein lies the concern. Certainly she'll scream and cry but that's it. Unless one of us actually sees the scorpion, we likely won't know what the problem is, especially if scorpion stings don't leave a mark. She can't tell us. So my focus is going to be on keeping the buggers out of the house as much as we can. Of course she could still get stung outside even if we manage to keep the house scorpion-free.

My wife wants me to get a chicken.
In all of our 40 plus years here with us and the kids, none of us have ever been stung outside. Seems, for us at least, to be an indoor issue. Places to watch outside: umbrellas as I mentioned, under damp towels left by the pool, in stacked bricks or rocks or wood piles. Scorpions are not aggressive in any way. If you disturb them they high tail it for the nearest cover. So it is pretty hard, I would think, to pick one up or play with one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:23 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,728,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
In all of our 40 plus years here with us and the kids, none of us have ever been stung outside. Seems, for us at least, to be an indoor issue. Places to watch outside: umbrellas as I mentioned, under damp towels left by the pool, in stacked bricks or rocks or wood piles. Scorpions are not aggressive in any way. If you disturb them they high tail it for the nearest cover. So it is pretty hard, I would think, to pick one up or play with one.
That's good news, thanks.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Well I just killed another one. Both were definately bark scorpions btw. Time to call an exterminator.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Default At least its not a scorpion

So I went upstairs last night and noticed a dark spot on the carpet in the bedroom hallway. I turned on the light and here's what I found (without the beer glass).
I caught him with the glass and a piece of cardboard and let him go outside. So far in the last three weeks, the score is 4 scorpions (killed 2, 2 got away) and 1 tarantula!
Truthfully, I'll take the tarantulas over the scorpions any day!
Attached Thumbnails
Oh No, Not Another Scorpion Thread!-thevisitor.jpg  

Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM

14,198 posts, read 17,750,597 times
I don't know if the technology has changed, but an exterminator told me years ago that there is no spray that will kill scorpions unless you happen to hit one with it. What the exterminator does is spray to control the food sources for the scorpions, not the scorpions themselves.

Johnp, you've already seen two more tarantulas in your time here than I have in over 50 years. That said, they are basically harmless, despite their appearance. Thanks for sending him back outside.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Johnp, you've already seen two more tarantulas in your time here than I have in over 50 years. That said, they are basically harmless, despite their appearance. Thanks for sending him back outside.
I'm wondering if he was looking to keep dry after all that rain on Tuesday.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 AM

Default Another Tarantula!

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

This humungous tarantula was outside the Safeway tonight, next to where they keep the carts by the water vending machines. I don't think I've ever seen one this big, even in zoos!

He was posing for lots of photos by shoppers!
Attached Thumbnails
Oh No, Not Another Scorpion Thread!-safeway-tarantula2.jpg  

Old 08-03-2012, 02:22 AM

14,198 posts, read 17,750,597 times
The rain must have chased them out of their normal habitat. The only one I've ever seen was crossing a highway in south central AZ. He was about the size of a salad plate.. I could see him from a distance, and drove carefully so he could make it across the road.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 AM

3,329 posts, read 2,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
So I went upstairs last night and noticed a dark spot on the carpet in the bedroom hallway. I turned on the light and here's what I found (without the beer glass).
I caught him with the glass and a piece of cardboard and let him go outside. So far in the last three weeks, the score is 4 scorpions (killed 2, 2 got away) and 1 tarantula!
Truthfully, I'll take the tarantulas over the scorpions any day!
Where do you live and which Safeway do you shop at? I've been here 2 years, dying to see a tarantula with no success. I did an offroad tour in Sedona last weekend. Talked about tarantulas with the driver. He said he's only see them after the rain hits as it destroys their homes. He said the washes in Sedona are good places to look once the sitting waters subside. One in your home and another recent sighing...sounds like luck to me!

I'm sorry your having scorpion issues. Perhaps you live in an area that was rife with citrus in the past. I hear those spots are hotbeds for scorpions. Just depends on where you are. My uncle lived out here for 6 years in the 70s and moved back in 2000. He's seen one scorpion and it was dead. Also one tarantula on the Apache Trail.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,119,648 times
Pretty cool Johnp. Tarantulas are about as rare to see as Gila Monsters. I've only seen 2 or 3 of each in the wild.

What I'd be worried about is how did the tarantula get inside the house? It's not like a small scorpion taking advantage of the tiniest crack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area