Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
In this economy, which seems to be slowing even more, I would stay put and try and enjoy life for a bit longer. It is hard to be stuck in an environment you are not happy in and we were stuck in northern CA for 15 years in a nepotistic, good ole boy town and despised it. We just made the most of it while we could until we could move and know that work would be found. I would try and get a job first and then move.

oh my you must be from here were i live. always happy for anyone who get the hec out of here (were the redwoods meet the sea).who knew i always thought i was the only person who wanted out of the fog .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Interesting. My sister moved from stifling hot Phoenix and took a 30% pay cut just to get to Portland, Oregon. I recommend you wait another 18 months but come to Phoenix in August of this year before your son goes back to school. Stay a few days. Going to a place at its most uncomfortable time of year will give you a perspective on whether you can stand the discomfort enough for a few months to reward yourself with its most comfortable time of year. This time of year there tends to be a lot of posts about moving to Phoenix. Around August there are a lot of posts about moving away from Phoenix.
^^good advice. Make a trip to phoenix, say...around July/August. This will give you a perspective of how phoenix is for a number of months. Right now, the weather is absolutely beautiful! But in another month, maybe not so. Its an acquired taste, the heat. Either you will love it or hate. Not much middle ground there.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:05 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
^^good advice. Make a trip to phoenix, say...around July/August. This will give you a perspective of how phoenix is for a number of months. Right now, the weather is absolutely beautiful! But in another month, maybe not so. Its an acquired taste, the heat. Either you will love it or hate. Not much middle ground there.
Plus if you come in August to Phoenix you get to stay for cheap in nice resorts as nobody cares to come here around this time.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
I'd recommend that, during the height of the summer, you rent a cabin on the coast of SoCal, say, San Diego? Lots to do, nice warm, sunny weather, but not as hot as Phoenix and you have the beach.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Older people look forward to the heat. I'm old and look forward to it myself. Get a pool. Great exercise and keeps the heat enjoyable. Everything is air conditioned from your home, car to any business you go to. Sometimes in the summer I need to bring a sweater to shop because of the ac. lol

I have a gut feeling you'll all be very happy with a move down here. Most from Oregon are.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I have a gut feeling you'll all be very happy with a move down here. Most from Oregon are.
I grew up in Oregon and I am not happy here. You're probably right--most are--but some are not. I miss the seasons...

Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Older people look forward to the heat. I'm old and look forward to it myself. Get a pool. Great exercise and keeps the heat enjoyable. Everything is air conditioned from your home, car to any business you go to. Sometimes in the summer I need to bring a sweater to shop because of the ac. lol

That's me. I moved here in June of 2011 and I couldn't be happier. I was from the rainiest part of the PNW. I was on the coast mtn range so my view is a little skewed. Places like Portland, Seattle, Salem and Eugene would get around 50 to 60 inches of rain per year. My little town averaged 119 inches per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I grew up in Oregon and I am not happy here. You're probably right--most are--but some are not. I miss the seasons...
Good for you. Oregon is certainly a beautiful state but for me, it was just too wet, too cold and too gloomy, not to mention the political climate up there.
For me, I'll take the sunshine and heat. Personally, I find it is much easier to cool down than to warm up. If I'm hot, a quick dip in the pool cools me off INSTANTLY but if I'm cold to the bone like I always was in Oregon, it was very hard to get warm even putting extra layers on and getting in someplace heated.
I also find there are many more things that you can do in the heat. Swimming, going to the lake, etc. Even in severe cold, there are thing we humans do. Snowboarding, skiing, snowball fights, sledding, etc. but when it's in the low 40's and raining, you just don't do things in the rain, you "get out of the rain" so I would find myself either sitting in the house or sitting in a bar. Neither of which is a good thing in the long term.
9 to 10 months of rain? It's just not good for the soul.......

Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Of course some aren't but she mentioned her mom and most of us old people have arthritis. lol An Oregon winter really shuts me down. Not to mention I fall more when it's either raining, or snowing, I get chest infections more, I just feel worse for a longer period of time up north. That doesn't mean I don't miss the seasons but I have learned to appreciate looking at pictures of Maine and swimming in my pool while it's 100 degrees out. I've just started to count the monsoon season as the change to look forward to.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:52 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
It's too bad the OP hasn't been around for a few months. We have some good tips. HA!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Im the only one on this thread so far that loved the weather in Oregon and Washington. Im trying to escape back there. Things keep happening to keep me here. Last year, had baby, this year, found leak in bathroom thats going to cost me 2k to fix before I can put house up for sale. Hoping to find someone to fix it soon so I can once again try and get out of here. Salem is NOT a place I would choose in Oregon. Can't think of a single reason, unless you are tied to the Govt to live there. I have a pool, but evertime I went to go for a swim last summer, there was an electrical storm. Im white as a ghost so I can't go long in the sunshine..even in the winter here. Most people I know come into my work and absolutely love it in AZ. Don't see alot of Oregonians, mostly folks from Chicago, and the State of WI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area