Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times

Advertisements

My HD one is off permanently cause the spigots are all clogged and I have to get up on a chair to unclog them and it only lasts a couple days until they are clogged again. I see there is some kind of tubular filter thing you can put onto the hose connection to stop this clogging. Does that work?

Its a cheap make do system but in the long run, its not worth it. How much does a side draft evap cooler cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 AM

168 posts, read 456,352 times
I'm surprised so many of you have had bad experiences with your self-installed systems. Ours works fine. We do get build-up on the nozzles, but that's to be expected with our water here. We just take them off and soak them for a few hours, and problem's solved. We only have to do that once a year in the spring. Also, we've not had any hard water stains on our pavers or walls. And we don't get a tremendous amount of dripping. But we only use it when the air is dry, so most of the moisture evaporates.

All that said, we really don't use it very often. Maybe that's the difference, and you'd have problems with frequent use. I'd estimate that we use it maybe 5 or 6 times a year, if that. As I said, for us, it's either too humid or not hot enough to warrant using it. May, June, and Sept are pretty much the only months we consider using it. And we only use it if we're entertaining on the patio. Typically, though, we're by the pool or in the house b/c it's 115 degrees with 30% humidity, and misters can't ease that misery The few times we do use it, it works really well. It does cool off the patio, and we find it decreases flies too. Maybe they don't like to fly through the mist?

If you plan to use your misters daily or weekly, I'd definitely get a good, professionally installed system. I believe in investing in quality equipment if it's going to be used frequently. But if you just plan on infrequent use, it'd be hard for me to justify that expense. Just my opinion, though

Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmib View Post
I saw it in Home Depot today for $40. Is that what you installed?

The box says that it can lower the temp for 20 degrees. What's your experience?

Thanks!
The cheaper do it yourself systems don't work that well.I wouldn't recommend them to be honest with you. If money is an issue, it's a decent alternative but they drip and the mist is not that powerful and those units definitely don't seem to cool 20 degrees. I have yet to see a DIY system that particularly impressed me in any regard.

If you can afford it, I would recommend the professionally installed high pressure systems. I got a quote from a company whose name escapes me now (they do pool related installs too), they were asking for 3K. They have to install a high pressure pump and depending on your backyard layout, they may have to install electrical outlets etc and do some plumbing etc. These companies will provide a free estimate and you can haggle with them a little.

My advice would be to wait until the winter time to install one should you choose to do so. Projects like these are seasonal and these companies have huge demand in the summer for obvious reasons and are much less flexible regarding pricing and scheduling as a result. The sales guy who gave me the estimate admitted as much and said scheduling in the summer takes about 1 to 2 months but in the winter, they can schedule people the next day in some cases. In the winter, it's the opposite, business is pretty dead and they are much hungrier and more willing to negotiate with you. The same goes for pools and air conditioners.

To be honest, it's a luxury more than a necessity. I don't know how much use you will really get out of it. The only time I use my misters is when I have a group of people over and we are spending a good 2-3 hours outside such as a pool party or BBQ. I don't really use it otherwise because we will just swim and that cools you down and I don't really have use for it beyond that.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-16-2012 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 05:19 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,847,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The cheaper do it yourself systems don't work that well.I wouldn't recommend them to be honest with you. If money is an issue, it's a decent alternative but they drip and the mist is not that powerful and those units definitely don't seem to cool 20 degrees. I have yet to see a DIY system that particularly impressed me in any regard.

If you can afford it, I would recommend the professionally installed high pressure systems. I got a quote from a company whose name escapes me now (they do pool related installs too), they were asking for 3K. They have to install a high pressure pump and depending on your backyard layout, they may have to install electrical outlets etc and do some plumbing etc. These companies will provide a free estimate and you can haggle with them a little.

My advice would be to wait until the winter time to install one should you choose to do so. Projects like these are seasonal and these companies have huge demand in the summer for obvious reasons and are much less flexible regarding pricing and scheduling as a result. The sales guy who gave me the estimate admitted as much and said scheduling in the summer takes about 1 to 2 months but in the winter, they can schedule people the next day in some cases. In the winter, it's the opposite, business is pretty dead and they are much hungrier and more willing to negotiate with you. The same goes for pools and air conditioners.

To be honest, it's a luxury more than a necessity. I don't know how much use you will really get out of it. The only time I use my misters is when I have a group of people over and we are spending a good 2-3 hours outside such as a pool party or BBQ. I don't really use it otherwise because we will just swim and that cools you down and I don't really have use for it beyond that.
My cheap mister system works just fine for my chickens, ducks, turkeys, quail, etc., and it does cool it down, I have considered installing my patio chair in my chicken coop when outside...the downside, if I forget to shut off and disconnect at night, I have a river in my chicken pen in the morning...not a nice picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area