Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 AM

17 posts, read 81,955 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I posted a question about a home purchase with no HOA, as I really want a newer type home with enough land to build my dream garage with no HOA. I want a garage to put a small 2 post lift to work on my cars as a hobby and also have a little mancave area, as I do it all the time, and am a retired combat wounded soldier from the Iraq war.

Well I was driving around the loop 303 area and seen some new home construction with a regular 2 car garage, and a HUGE what looks like 2 car garage wide but really tall made for RV's.

Then I figured, if I can't beat them (HOA) I can join them. And get a new home with a nice RV garage which looks to be 2 cars wide by 2 cars deep, plus an additional 2 car perpendicular to the RV gate and driveway, which is perfect for my daily drivers.

I was thinking, can I get away with installing a 2 post lift in the very back of the RV garage and just park 2 cars in the entrance of the RV gate. You think I can get by HOA?

4335 N 179th Dr, Goodyear, AZ 85395 | MLS# 4783558

Or should I just keep looking for a non HOA home with a big enough lot to build my dream garage high enough for a lift and big enough for a 3-4 car garage space.

Also does anyone know of any other home builders besides Meritage homes with RV garage and single story?

Last edited by infantry; 08-10-2012 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Since you're looking around this area (I like that subdivision btw) I'd keep looking up Citrus or Cotton (towards Olive) for one of the many large empty lots. You'll notice many of the houses along that part of Citrus have large garages or shops but you've really got to look to see them.
If I had the choice I'd build my own on one of those lots before I EVER got near a full on subdivision again.
I know there were a couple of houses on Citrus or right off it that were for sale that had pretty much just what you're looking for already built, I see one of 'em sold and went rental just this month.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 81,955 times
Thanks jimj!

I was going crazy for a second and almost gave up. I really dislike my HOA, yet no neighbors ever say anything about me.

I was driving in that area this morning and found Richmond American Homes, Meritage, and some other one. I think i'm going to continue my non HOA acre lot find.

So are you suggesting I should buy land and build my home?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,168 times
"Also does anyone know of any other home builders besides Meritage homes with RV garage and single story?"

Yes, as a matter of fact the RV garages
required on certain lots was a deal breaker for my buyer a couple of weeks ago. If the North Peoria area works for you, there is Vista Montañaby Shea Homes. Shea might have other subdivisions with large RV lots in other areas but I'm not sure.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantry View Post
Thanks jimj!

I was going crazy for a second and almost gave up. I really dislike my HOA, yet no neighbors ever say anything about me.

I was driving in that area this morning and found Richmond American Homes, Meritage, and some other one. I think i'm going to continue my non HOA acre lot find.

So are you suggesting I should buy land and build my home?
Well, if you want to get exactly what you want where you want it then yes, that's what I'd do. You should start with one of the good realtors on here and see if they can find what you are looking for already built and go from there. Since the bubble prices really came down and have not recovered yet and from talking to my appraiser the other week it's still cheaper to buy already built than to build.
From what I've seen looking at these 2 acre lots is that if they're in a subdivision it's a maintenance subdivision only (HOA). That usually means for water,private road things like that. I've lived in those before and would go back to one of 'em in a heartbeat if my choice was a full on HOA or that. I've also noticed in other places we've lived (which may or may not be the case here) when you start getting into larger parcels (bigger than the usual city lot) people tend to leave each other alone to do there own thing.
I'd love to have 2 or more acres again!
Good luck!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
Have you checked out Courtland Homes?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,747 times
Hello - I am new to this forum but am planning on moving back to the Phoenix area and potentially the Gilbert and Chandler area and south. Looking for a home with 3-4 bedrooms and three car garage and an RV garage that I can use as by hobby (wood turning shop) and a place to work on my motorcycle.. Any suggestions of good areas or builders to look. We'll look at used and new but want an RV garage that we can air condition and run 220V and a 100amp panel for wood working equipment. Thanks in advance. Lonnie

Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times
As an avid car hobbiest, I wouldn't live in an HOA, PERIOD, even if you paid me. I don't live in an HOA now, and still have plenty of problems with Glendale City code, although a large garage would solve a number of the problems. Then again, I also plan to move far enough out of the city where I'll likely be on a water well, septic tank, and without trash service...so my requirements may exceed yours :P

Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM

You might want to take a look in the west valley, specifically in the county instead of a city. Starting at I-10 you can go up Cactus or Citrus and you'll see many houses usually on an acre or more with RV garages and/or shops. They are in Goodyear,Waddell and Surprise. Try looking within 15 miles of 85355.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:38 AM

211 posts, read 543,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
As an avid car hobbiest, I wouldn't live in an HOA, PERIOD, even if you paid me. I don't live in an HOA now, and still have plenty of problems with Glendale City code, although a large garage would solve a number of the problems. Then again, I also plan to move far enough out of the city where I'll likely be on a water well, septic tank, and without trash service...so my requirements may exceed yours :P
There are alot of car fanatics in Az in HOA communities. If you have a 2+ car garage, working in your car shouldn't be a problem I would think or even In the driveway. The only
Problem I could see is if your driveway looks like a junk yard w cars.
Personally I have a few cars and I'm always either washing or waxing them. Or doing some minor tinkering on them. I can't imagine an HOA having an issue
Although having a lift could raise and issue where ur always running power tools etc
Working on cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area