Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If the house is in Phoenix, and old enough to *need* replacement windows, the house isn't airtight. Not even close. Even if you got a perfect 100% seal on the windows, the house would be leaking air like a sieve.
True, but you have to do the best you can to minimize obvious places for air to get in/out, and the windows are a very easy place to have leaks. A friend of mine was renting a house that had such poor seals in the windows that it sounded like you were outside in some of the rooms even with the windows shut "tight". And, he had the electric bills to match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM

188 posts, read 514,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If the house is in Phoenix, and old enough to *need* replacement windows, the house isn't airtight. Not even close. Even if you got a perfect 100% seal on the windows, the house would be leaking air like a sieve.
No house is air tight. They use building paper (vapor retarder) for the majority of all homes which does not stop air infiltration. Even newer buildings leak like a sieve because they are built with materials that allow that.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,857,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
No house is air tight. They use building paper (vapor retarder) for the majority of all homes which does not stop air infiltration. Even newer buildings leak like a sieve because they are built with materials that allow that.
This is very true. Homes in PHX are very leaky. I've dealt with home construction throughout the USA and PHX has some of the worst building techniques and building codes I have ever seen. A new PHX home build would not pass code in most states. Typical PHX build is 1/2" stucco, 1/2" EPS, tar paper, fiberglass batts, 1/2" drywall. Take off an electrical wall plate outlet and you will get a drafty breeze. PHX walls are like a breezeway.

There is hope though, the 2012 IRC mandates some very stringent building codes. IF and when PHX adopts these codes, 75% of home builders will go the way of the dinosaur unless they completely retool their construction methods. The big key is "IF" as PHX/Maricopa County can choose NOT to adopt the code or modify it to suit their needs.

The 2012 IRC requires an air sealing of < 3 ACH @ 50 Pa for new home builds. Currently, a new PHX home build averages around 8-10 ACH. In Europe, some homes require 0.03 ACH @ 50. That's bank vault tight.

ACH = Air Changes per Hour
Pa = Pascals

Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 PM

188 posts, read 514,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
This is very true. Homes in PHX are very leaky. I've dealt with home construction throughout the USA and PHX has some of the worst building techniques and building codes I have ever seen. A new PHX home build would not pass code in most states.

There is hope though, the 2012 IRC mandates some very stringent building codes. IF and when PHX adopts these codes, 75% of home builders will go the way of the dinosaur unless they completely retool their construction methods. The big key is "IF" as PHX/Maricopa County can choose NOT to adopt the code or modify it to suit their needs.

The 2012 IRC requires an air sealing of < 3 ACH @ 50 Pa for new home builds. Currently, a new PHX home build averages around 8-10 ACH. In Europe, some homes require 0.03 ACH @ 50. That's bank vault tight.

ACH = Air Changes per Hour
Pa = Pascals
Absolutely! Light is in sight... the city of Phoenix is actually adopting the 2012 IBC which will automatically enroll them in the 2012 IECC which will require lowering infiltration. I can't wait for that to happen because I've designed commercial buildings mostly in cold and wet climates so I'm used to fairly sophisticated envelopes. I've tried to explain the importance of such things to contractors, old colleagues, and clients to almost no avail... but they are budging every so gradually!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area