U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 AM

10,010 posts, read 11,757,501 times
Default Moving to Phoenix area

We are moving to the Phoenix area, what I need to know is good places for a family to live in the area, jobsites are all over the area so cant give a resonable commute need, we will be renting first and want to be near good schools, any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 10:36 AM

154 posts, read 375,930 times
Default Better schools

My family will be moving to the Phoenix area as well, and during my reasearch on schools these districts floated to the top as offering the best public education found in the Phoenix area:

Gilbert Unified (includes neighborhoods in Gilbert, Chandler and Ahwatukee)
Scottsdale Unified
Cave Creek Unified (includes neighborhoods in Cave Creek and Scottsdale)
Fountain Hills Unified
Peoria Unified (includes neighborhoods in Peoria and north Glendale)
Deer Valley Unified (includes neighborhoods in north Phoenix and Anthem)

Scottsdale, Cave Creek and Fountain Hills are expensive living. And keep in mind that within all the districts, you will find a mix of high-performing and low-performing schools, so you need to research individual schools. Also, charter schools may be an option for you, and that would open up your options.

This is an awesome website that gives not only test scores for past 4 years, but also teacher/student ratio, dollars spent per student, ethnic makeup and parent reviews. greatschools.com ...

Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the info I will check it out

Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 AM

16,589 posts, read 19,558,167 times
Default What you need to understand about PHX

It's a huge area. The schools and the crime depend on where you live. In the bedroom 'burbs (like Gilbert, Chandler mentioned earlier) the schools are new, the kids are from affluent families and the violent crime rate is low to non-existent. OK 'burbs on the west side are in Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear, Buckeye, Peoria. The west side 'burbs are closer to areas that historically have been "bad". So the poor and their troubles are not as far away as in, say, Fountain Hills. As a rule, look for new subdivisions in a sea of red tile roofs, new schools, etc. It is pretty easy to tell the good from the bad around here. Watch out for the SW part of Phoenix - new homes now and lower prices, but this area will deteriorate quickly as those people move up and out and the rentals take over. Avoid bargain areas no matter how nice they look now. There are some nice locations in older places too, like Tempe, or even in central Phoenix. But you have to be here a while to learn the neighborhoods, I think.

As far as commuting, it is awful no matter where you are going around rush hour. I think it is a Phoenix thing that you must live on the opposite end of town from your job. There are few jobs in the bedroom towns so everybody is on the road. You will hate that aspect. Otherwise, life here appeals to most and you will probably enjoy it for a few years anyway before the heat and humanity get to you.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-27-2006 at 07:43 AM..

Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 AM

2,295 posts, read 119,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's a huge area. The schools and the crime depend on where you live. In the bedroom 'burbs (like Gilbert, Chandler mentioned earlier) the schools are new, the kids are from affluent families and the violent crime rate is low to non-existent. OK 'burbs on the west side are in Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear, Buckeye, Peoria. The west side 'burbs are closer to areas that historically have been "bad". So the poor and their troubles are not as far away as in, say, Fountain Hills. As a rule, look for new subdivisions in a sea of red tile roofs, new schools, etc. It is pretty easy to tell the good from the bad around here. Watch out for the SW part of Phoenix - new homes now and lower prices, but this area will deteriorate quickly as those people move up and out and the rentals take over. Avoid bargain areas no matter how nice they look now. There are some nice locations in older places too, like Tempe, or even in central Phoenix. But you have to be here a while to learn the neighborhoods, I think.

As far as commuting, it is awful no matter where you are going around rush hour. I think it is a Phoenix thing that you must live on the opposite end of town from your job. There are few jobs in the bedroom towns so everybody is on the road. You will hate that aspect. Otherwise, life here appeals to most and you will probably enjoy it for a few years anyway before the heat and humanity get to you.

I have to agree with this except I wouldn't live in North Tempe anywhere.

I especially agree with those SW neighborhoods. That's a no go.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 AM

What about Anthem? Too far?

Old 09-27-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sci1 View Post
I always say go to Gilbert. Others have their own opinions. The schools are good and the crime is low. The commute is not too bad. It takes me 25-30 on the side roads to Phoenix. What else could you want?

Old 09-27-2006, 11:17 AM

16,589 posts, read 19,558,167 times
Quote:
Anthem is cool. I was up there this weekend looking for a lot/house on a cul-de-sac with "preserve" out back. Nobody has told them there is a housing crash, I guess. They had a couple small spec homes on 5000 sf lots surrounded by two-stories that they would deal on, but otherwise prices are still really stiff and way higher than 18 months ago. Interest rate deals were everywhere, but I don't want to get in that trap. Anthem has gawd-awful traffic into town and back, though. I am looking for a retirement spot (if I forget about going to the midwest) where it is easy to get to my property up north, so Anthem/NewRiver/Black Canyone city is my area. Traffic issue is not important to me, but anyone who has to work for a living has to consider it. I read they are going to widen the freeway S of Anthem next year. This will make it even worse during the construction phase.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Anthem is cool. I was up there this weekend looking for a lot/house on a cul-de-sac with "preserve" out back. Nobody has told them there is a housing crash, I guess. They had a couple small spec homes on 5000 sf lots surrounded by two-stories that they would deal on, but otherwise prices are still really stiff and way higher than 18 months ago. Interest rate deals were everywhere, but I don't want to get in that trap. Anthem has gawd-awful traffic into town and back, though. I am looking for a retirement spot (if I forget about going to the midwest) where it is easy to get to my property up north, so Anthem/NewRiver/Black Canyone city is my area. Traffic issue is not important to me, but anyone who has to work for a living has to consider it. I read they are going to widen the freeway S of Anthem next year. This will make it even worse during the construction phase.
How far is it out of like Phoenix and Glendale? Long ways?

Old 09-27-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
How far is it out of like Phoenix and Glendale? Long ways?
It depends where in Phoenix do you mean? S,W,E what area. from Glendale I'd say 30 minutes without traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area