U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM

185 posts, read 349,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I kinda like our skyline. I didn't know EVERYONE disliked it. LOL
Its an expression, most people that don't live here dislike it. Jeez you guys take things too literal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM

3,632 posts, read 14,235,443 times
I think people don't like to be included in a statement that simply isn't true. We have a rule at my work (I do group therapy) always use I statements, never say WE. But, it's all ok.

Speaking of skylines, I'm in love with Chicago.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM

335 posts, read 604,357 times
This thread = nothing else to talk about today.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 PM

3,391 posts, read 5,722,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
Its an expression, most people that don't live here dislike it. Jeez you guys take things too literal.
Well, we are communicating by the written word, so all we have to go on is what you write.

I don't find our skyline boring, and I love the view with Camelback Mountain in the background. It tells me I'm home.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 PM

3,744 posts, read 9,750,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Again, who will pay for this? I'm sure more buildings would go up if the vacant properties/lots had interested buyers who wanted to build upon them.

I would also had that people are comparing a young skyline to cities that have been major cities for a hundred years or more.
Hopefully developers. I'm not saying that public funds should be used for any of this, just saying that I would love if our downtown was more dense in both buildings and people and that you don't need sky scrapers to achieve that.

Another talking point...if they would of never allowed high rises to be built north of McDowell Rd, we'd have a much better looking skyline and a lot more density in downtown today. There are approx. 19 high rises between McDowell and Camelback Rd, if those would have been south of the I-10 in downtown, we'd have about twice as many buildings in that area.

About the 500' thing, it's not going to happen in downtown due to the airport. Actually, they can go a little higher, to about 575' along Washington St but that's about it. Once you move north a little, they can do up to 700' around 7th Ave and Van Buren, but there are no high rises in that area today or any real reason for someone to build a high rise that tall there.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 PM

4,184 posts, read 11,359,774 times
on a very clear day, drive west thru the Papago Buttes along McDowell....watch downtown appear, then, slowly, all of Uptown (or Central Corridor or whatever that other thread said it was called) appears, the entirety spread across the horizon.....

quite a sight, I think....

blame it on the economy, developers' and architects' egos, and on plenty of cheap land to build OUT on, rather than UP....

Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 AM

17,452 posts, read 33,847,514 times
Quote:
Those threads didn't really answer my question. Im not saying we should replicate another city or be the 15th best skyline. All im saying is that I think its about time we expand past 500 ft, atleast.

I wasn't saying those threads would answer your question, just noted that we've discussed the Phoenix skyline before. As others have said, where's the money to build those tall buildings (full of glass, usually, which makes not much sense here) just so "the skyline will look better" to . . .

Quote:
Well, at the risk of taking you literally again, "most people that don't live here dislike it"? Let's just confine that to this country. "Most" of 200 plus million people don't like the Phoenix skyline? It's really better not to use all that exaggeration. Confine your premise to numbers that make sense.

Last edited by observer53; 08-23-2012 at 03:13 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 02:47 AM

1,109 posts, read 3,261,487 times
The Phoenix skyline, if you put together the downtown and midtown skylines, would be more impressive than it is, otherwise.

That being said, the current buildings are rather bland. My favorite being one central park east. However, the quality of the skyline is less dependent on height, and more dependent on the actual architectural quality. Our buildings are blocky and uninspired. This I take issue with.

Overall, I could care less what the skyline actually LOOKS like, as long as we have a functioning, vibrant urban area. Which we currently do not. I would rather see a jungle of midrises, with a living, thriving neighborhood, than a dead core made up of beautiful skyscrapers.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:28 AM

310 posts, read 937,868 times
Quote:
Those threads didn't really answer my question. Im not saying we should replicate another city or be the 15th best skyline. All im saying is that I think its about time we expand past 500 ft, atleast.
I didnt think we could go past 500ft with the proximity of downtown to the airport. I remember hearing that awhile back, I could be wrong....

Old 08-23-2012, 07:05 AM

3,191 posts, read 4,960,695 times
The skyline's not always boring.

Attached Thumbnails
Yes, our skyline is "boring".-img_1685sizesharp-640x480.jpg   Yes, our skyline is "boring".-img_4076sizesharp-640x480.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or