Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 PM

188 posts, read 515,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I have a completely differing attitude. If I accept a job, even a low paying one, I feel obligated to do my very best at it. To me it's a matter or pride, integrity and a sense of responsibility. Nobody forced me to take that job; I applied for and accepted it on my own, therefore, I "own" it.
It's really about incentive and not integrity. I'm not saying someone won't do a job... but if it's vastly underpaid most people won't go above and beyond because they won't be either compensated in 'pride' or 'financially'.

I work in an underpaid profession (still a solid living wage) that has specialized knowledge. I work hard because I do earn a paycheck and a little 'pride' for my work. However, I've realized that you can't break your back working endless hours because someone said you have to... especially for the money and quality of life they will provide you. It's a balance.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree. It's unfortunate but you have to pay a premium to get basic customer service that you received for free 20 years ago. Although I don't like it, I'm willing to pay more to receive good customer service. I treat my patients well and emphasize great customer service in my practice so I also expect similar service when I'm the consumer.

I keep a list of companies that provide good service. In my opinion, Southwest Airlines, Lexus, Nordstrom, Target, Sofitel Hotels, and In n Out Burger are some companies that provide great customer service.
So with that in mind. Everytime I talk to someone snarky and want them to fix their attitude, do I need to hold out a $20? Does this apply at work?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 PM

344 posts, read 812,899 times
A good part of customer service moved to India...that turned out well.

Many companies are entirely cognizant of the importance of customer service. Then there are others that lack the sophistication, don't have the culture and/or are low budget and feel it's not worth the trouble.

I don't think it's any worse than before, it's just luck of the draw and polar opposites from one company to the next.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
As someone who has worked in retail on both the worker and the management side, I have some observations to add to what some people have already rightly mentioned.

The success of Walmart set a standard for retail that killed the department store. Very few department stores exist today — most are owned by Federated (the company that won the Great Department Store War). The smaller chains remaining serve upscale neighborhoods where customers want high-priced goods and are willing to pay extra for superior service. The superstore killed off smaller businesses. What town didn't used to have a family-owned hardware store; shoe store; separate clothing stores for women, men, and kids; office supply store; pet store; electronics and appliance stores; furniture store; and drug store? That was your Main Street USA. All gone. And we have no one but ourselves to blame for that. America chose large inventory and cheap prices over supporting family businesses.

But what did we really choose? Nationwide chains and superstores have ONE PURPOSE: to provide value for their stockholders or outsized profits for the private investment firms that own them. The primary purpose of these businesses is NOT, contrary to popular opinion, to provide what customers want, in terms of either goods or services. You get a lot of choice in your goods, but most tend toward the shoddy, since retail success is based on low price, not longevity. The owners also leverage their profits by cutting back on what they spend to operate their businesses. Almost all retail stores today follow the Walmart model: a tiny cadre of full-time trained sales people. That staff is supplemented by a larger part-time staff that receives even lower wages, next-to-no training, no loyalty from their employers, and most importantly no benefits. Retail part-timers are the human version of paper towels. They work for hourly pay that is usually less than what fast food burger flippers make. Retail managers today are responsible for, on average, four times what retail managers took care of in the 20th century — and for pay that isn't any better.

Underpaid workers who get no respect, don't make a living wage, and have little or no health insurance are going to be surly. Even if they manage to stick around awhile, they will be bounced out the minute they can no longer lift 50 pounds (most retail sales workers are also the ones who unpack merchandise, stock shelves, and clean the store as part of their daily routine).

Lip service is what service gets in the mega-store model. Stores are designed to make you stay in them longer than you planned. You wonder why you can't find the sale item advertised? They don't WANT YOU TO. They want you to trail through their aisles, pawing through goods yourself because there is no one to help you. Their next trick is to try and get you to check yourself out. With cameras everywhere, of course, substituting for humans on the floor.

And never forget: The six heirs to Sam Walton's Walmart fortune are worth almost exactly the same as the bottom 41.5% of all U.S. families combined ($89.5 billion), according to the Economic Policy Institute. It's an imbalance that is largely due to the mega-store business model.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
It's really about incentive and not integrity. I'm not saying someone won't do a job... but if it's vastly underpaid most people won't go above and beyond because they won't be either compensated in 'pride' or 'financially'.
I disagree. The incentives are personal pride and maintaining one's integrity. (The incentive is also to earn a paycheck, but we are assuming one agreed to perform the job for the amount being paid.)

For example, if I accepted a job to hand-scrub floors (on my hands and knees) for minimum wage, I would do my very best to get those floors clean and sparkling and I would take pride in making them the cleanest I could. However, if I felt earning minimum wage for such difficult labor was not enough of a financial incentive for me, I would not accept the position in the first place.

Last edited by CheyDee; 08-31-2012 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: spelling/grammar

Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
I disagree. The incentives are personal pride and maintaining one's integrity. (The incentive is also to earn a paycheck, but we are assuming one agreed to perform the job for the amount being paid.)

For example, if I accepted a job to hand-scrub floors (on my hands and knees) for minimum wage, I would do my very best to get those floors clean and sparkling and I would take pride in making them the cleanest I could. However, if I felt earning minimum wage for such difficult labor was not enough of a financial incentive for me, I would not accept the position in the first place.
I agree. If you don't like the job, and can't give at least 100"%, then don't take the job.

A person who will only give 50% on a job which they feel is underpaid, will in all likelyhood only give 50% on a job where they think the wage is fair.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:54 PM

344 posts, read 812,899 times
Quote:

That's you. In general, the original quote is correct.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:07 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:

I could not agree more, CheyDee . . .

Most likely the root to "Whatever happened to Customer Service" is the lack of personal pride and self respect which is probably due to our out of control welfare system (read: why work when I can get it for free?) but that point needs to be reserved for another thread.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
So with that in mind. Everytime I talk to someone snarky and want them to fix their attitude, do I need to hold out a $20? Does this apply at work?
You can fire them and hire someone who has the right attitude.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:33 PM

188 posts, read 515,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I agree. If you don't like the job, and can't give at least 100"%, then don't take the job.

A person who will only give 50% on a job which they feel is underpaid, will in all likelyhood only give 50% on a job where they think the wage is fair.
That works for people that have many options. There are those that take any job because they have mouths to feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area