Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 AM

344 posts, read 812,721 times

Advertisements

I'm pondering it vs. just reseeding with grass...I like the desert look but what about considerations such as:

-Extra heat generated around the house?
-Maintenance
-Other?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 02:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
I've had desert landscaping for the last almost thirty years. I don't think that the heat is a big issue... You can still have shade, even with "desert" landscaping, which helps any heat issues.

I'd rather deal with preemergents and weed killers occasionally than regularly be out mowing and edging (and watering) a lawn. Desert landscaping doesn't get fungus or other "bugs" that kill the grass, dead spots from dogs, etc. You can have a lot of color, and quite a bit of green, even with "desert" or xeriscape landsaping.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
The reason I don't like the rocks and gravel is because it seems hard to pick up the fallen leaves and debris, unless you blow it all to a pile and then pick it up. I have desert in the back and big pine trees outside the wall (HOA) and they drop their needles all the time making it hard to keep clean. I also have some grass in back which just needs cutting and trimming occasionally and I like the look alot more.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:46 AM

344 posts, read 812,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
The reason I don't like the rocks and gravel is because it seems hard to pick up the fallen leaves and debris, unless you blow it all to a pile and then pick it up. I have desert in the back and big pine trees outside the wall (HOA) and they drop their needles all the time making it hard to keep clean. I also have some grass in back which just needs cutting and trimming occasionally and I like the look alot more.
Good point; for that and other reasons I've decided to use plants and trees that don't have create much debris, and maybe a leaf blower would do if needed.

As far as heat, I'm just wondering if uncovered areas that are in the sun create a lot more heat around the house than grass areas would.

On using gravel, some say to choose 1/2" or larger rocks, in terms of spraying, while others say it doesn't matter-not sure on this yet. Also, some believe in using an underlying liner beneath gravel; others don't.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
I remember reading a study a year or two ago that concluded that the historic neighborhoods were a bit cooler than most areas in the Valley because there was so much grass.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times
Besides the ideas of planting "clean" trees that are evergreen to shade an area(great idea), we also put a bunch of shrubs around an area to cover the crushed stone on our property. Plants like low growing lantana, wild petunia(Ruellia brittoniana), purple sage, etc. are very easy to grow spread out nicely. We also have a purple snail vine that grows up a trellis we setup. It grows like a weed so what I did was let it trail off the sides of the trellis onto the ground, creating a nice groud-cover that you can pretty much make as wide/long as you want. I'm not exaggerating when I say it grew 20'+ from the main trellis in both directions on the ground creating a nice carpet of green. And that growth happens in a just a few months. Very easy to grow vine, lush, with real nice purple flowers on it in the warm weather.

Snail Vine (Vigna caracalla)

We also grow some hop-seed shrubs(evergreen, native to AZ) along our block fence to block the reflected south-west late day sun. Nice lush looking evergreen shrubs that grow fast/require low water.

Bottom line, I think it's very easy, based on my experience, to cool your yard with hardy/easy to take care of/great looking plants without any grass. Having had a lawn for decades and having to deal with all the maintenance, you couldn't pay me to have one again.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,847,377 times
We moved into our house a year ago, which was empty for at least a year or two...rocks, sand...We moved in and the rocks in our backyard have sprouted grass that we couldn't grow if we tried and the dogs are out there doing their thing. We cut it down with the weed whip and give to the chickens and ducks, but with monsoon it needs to be done weekly...I am thinking about removing the rocks and let the guys have grass....and this is coming up through the plastic under the rocks/stones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area