Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM

75 posts, read 211,154 times

Advertisements

I am going to be in that area soon. I am leaving to fly back home on a week day morning. What is the commute like from Luke AFB to the airport in Phoenix? I don't want to miss my flight. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 AM

56 posts, read 155,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanks1 View Post
I am going to be in that area soon. I am leaving to fly back home on a week day morning. What is the commute like from Luke AFB to the airport in Phoenix? I don't want to miss my flight. Thanks.
Hi there According to Google maps (get directions), it's 45 minutes - 30.6 miles. So depending on your needs, I would add 1.25 hours to that. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,131,212 times
what time in the morning is your flight?

35-45 minutes would be the norm in light traffic ...... this can increase quite a bit if you hit rush hour though

Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,155,273 times
If you're just visiting are you sure you will be by Luke AFB as there are no hotels near the base? If you're looking to be closer to the airport then I would suggest you find a hotel in Goodyear along the I10 which will put you not that far from the base and easy access to the freeway for your trip to the airport.

With no/little traffic you can get to the airport in 25 minutes from Litchfield Rd and the I10.

If you are actually at the base it will take close to 35 minutes will little/no traffic and an hour in rush hour traffic.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 PM

75 posts, read 211,154 times
Thanks everyone. My flight leaves at 10:00 am.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,131,212 times
Then you'll probably hit at least the tail end of rush hour - i'd bank on 45 minutes to an hour to get there from Litchfield & Glendale (stop light on the eastern part of the base)

Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,358,196 times
Hi - as you can tell with the variety of answers on here - the real answer is, "We don't know until that morning." Google maps and Mapquest are often wrong on times for travel. There are two sites and a phone number you need to know about. And it really could take anywhere from 1/2 and hour to an hour. I drive to the airport about 2x a month from where the 101 and 51 meet. Some days it's 20 minutes, and the longest is an hour. So who knows? The south Phoenix interchanges are always more messed up than the 51 is, though.

The Dept of Transportation has a website - Index that you can use to find out the real time traffic that morning.

You can also use the phone number if you know the routes and names of the roads - just dial 511 on your phone. It's a free call and it will ask you to say what you need. Sometimes it's goofy though, and if you don't have a great connection you can have some comic relief but not enough answers to your pressing traffic questions.

The other website I use occasionally in phoenix is Traffic Reports | Traffic Alerts | Road Conditions | Traffic News & Delays | Traffic.com
You can punch in your location and the address of the airport (sky harbor airport, phoenix, az)
or just click here - Phoenix Traffic Report | Phoenix AZ Traffic Conditions and then zoom into your desired corridor.

There are some goofy interchanges in there. Keep an eye out for Sky Harbor signs and follow those. if you have GPS, punch it in, but I've been led astray by GPS too many times to believe it all the time. Recommend studying a map first to put the optional side streets into your head in case you miss an offramp.

One more thing -- it will take a bit to get from the car return place to the check in gates. So leave yourself time for that. Also factor in TSA. You just never know at Sky Harbor what will be going on there. It depends on your terminal. Terminal 4 is always more crowded and often slower than Terminals 2 and 3. So, maybe you want to leave NOW? ... Ok, just kidding.

If i were you and I were in Goodyear needing to be on a 10AM flight, i would probably leave my house no later than 7 AM. If you decide to change hotels the night before and stay AT the airport, then you can leave for the airport at 8:15 or so. Just a thought.

Airport hotels

Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
F40

826 posts, read 852,513 times
Figure 1 hour at that time of the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area