Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM

7 posts, read 51,876 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I have an interview to attend Midwestern University College of Osteopathic Medicine in October. I have spent time in the AJ/Mesa Area visiting my grandmother, but not many other places in the phoenix area. I am a full-blooded virginian, but am looking forward to going away for school. I am trying to decide how to rank my school choices by location, of course I still have to be accepted, but I think there is a good chance. I just had some questions about the glendale area.

1. I have heard that Glendale has some nasty areas (like all cities do), but how is the area around the MWU Campus (near 59th and Agua Fria Fwy)? Is it a reasonably safe place to be around at night?

2. What kind of Mass Transit Options are available near Glendale?

3. I really enjoy running, outdoors preferably, are there decent and safe places to go running in the Glendale/Phoenix area?

4. How Gay-Friendly is the Phoenix area on the whole? I've read some other posts about this, but I was wondering about the area near MWU, if anyone has experience. I mean, I can hold my own against haters, but I'd still prefer not to have any issues.

5. How intense is the "Rush Hour" in the Phoenix metro area? I used to live in Northern Virginia, and commuted around DC, so I figure it cannot be any worse than that.

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 02:31 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
59th and Agua Fria Fwy is a relatively newer area. It should be fine safety-wise (with the caveat that there's crime everywhere, but you should be safe out walking at night)

When I think of places to go running on the northwest side, I always think of Thunderbird Paseo Park (I think that's still what it's called.). I'm sure the runners out that way will chime in with other options.

Mass transit primarily runs on the major streets, I don't think there's a neighborhood circulator bus line in that far north part of Glendale, I think it runs further south. All the public transit info is here: www.valleymetro.org

The most gay friendly area is probably central Phoenix, followed by Tempe. I don't know of any particular issues out in
the area of the school. The prevailing attitude seems to be relatively tolerant (despite the vote against gay marriage).

Depending on where you live in relation to the school, you may not be affected that much by rush hour traffic. If memory serves, most people who move here from your part of the country say the rush hour traffic situation is better here.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
The area by midwestern is pretty nice & safe ... you shouldn't have any issues around the actual campus .... i used to live in the nearby area and had some friends at midwestern - no issues

Transit stinks - the city is laid out like a grid and in that area it's all valley metro running on the major streets ... you'll have a line down 59th and lines on union hills & bell ..... it's unreliable and slow ..... basically since the line runs on a street that is a long distance with many stops and many traffic lights it can be a process to get anywhere if you need to rely on it

I didn't notice any "anti-gay" sentiment in the area, but I didn't notice a whole lot of enclave either .... pretty standard area ....... central phoenix is going to be one of the larger neighborhoods ... you should be fine by the university though

Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
I haven't lived in that area so I can't speak to some of your questions. But I have spent a lot of time on the Washington Beltway and I have yet to encounter anything in metro Phoenix that compares.

BTW, I take my elderly mother to a doctor who attended MWU and I was favorably impressed.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,308 times
Some quick answers to your questions (in red):

1. I have heard that Glendale has some nasty areas (like all cities do), but how is the area around the MWU Campus (near 59th and Agua Fria Fwy)? Is it a reasonably safe place to be around at night?
It is a nice area, very safe.

2. What kind of Mass Transit Options are available near Glendale?
The bus is your only public transit opition in Glendale, and for lack of a better word, it sucks.

3. I really enjoy running, outdoors preferably, are there decent and safe places to go running in the Glendale/Phoenix area?
Sorry, I'm not a runner, I will pass on this question.

4. How Gay-Friendly is the Phoenix area on the whole? I've read some other posts about this, but I was wondering about the area near MWU, if anyone has experience. I mean, I can hold my own against haters, but I'd still prefer not to have any issues.
Phoenix in general is kind of right wing, but I don't think you will have any problems there. FYI People are a lot more left leaning / open minded in downtown Tempe, and that would be a good location for you to go out if that's what you were looking for.

5. How intense is the "Rush Hour" in the Phoenix metro area? I used to live in Northern Virginia, and commuted around DC, so I figure it cannot be any worse than that.
It's a pain in the butt, just like most metro areas, perhaps less so than L.A. & NYC, idk about DC area cuz I've never been there
Thanks everyone [/quote]

Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,754 times
[i]I actually ride the 59th Ave bus regularly, and it runs every 1/2 hour weekdays. The service is pretty decent and safe. Glendale also has neighborhood circulator bus lines, called the "GUS" bus, which costs 25 cents to ride. Unfortunately, this service is not offered in the Midwestern U area.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 51,876 times
Thanks all I can't wait to come visit for my interview

Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM

12 posts, read 17,224 times
I've known a lot of people that have gone to or are currently going to Midwestern. It's a great school. That area is good. I would suggest living close to it or more north or northwest. I grew up on 51 ave and Cactus, and that area is getting iffy but is still ok in my opinion. Don't go much more (if at all) south of that. Arrowhead area is nice but crowded. If you go even more north, there are little mountains to hike and run. Phoenix is very diverse and seems to be pretty friendly overall. (of course you will always run into wierdos or rude people...I think you get that anywhere) Oh and also, if you live anywhere in the northwest valley, you won't have too bad of a commute at all. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area