Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify to everyone....I am not interested in "public" accounting, where you have clients (i.e. CPAs). I am not a CPA. I have a master's in accounting, but my experience and interest is in working within industry (i.e. for a company's tax department), and that is what I've been doing for four years now and prefer it. Public accounting is very stressful and requires a LOT of overtime. So I will refuse to even apply for those types of jobs.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
I sent you a DM. Let me know if you don't get it.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Most of the answers on here are from people who don't know how accountants get jobs. Its different than the norms we usually think about. Here in Phx its recruiter heaven and they know where the openings are and get the jobs for people easily.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
After reading your post a and seeing how you have some savings I'd say give it a try. Other posters who advised you not to move without a job mean well and that is usually my advice. However, I grew up in the Northeast (MA), and know what it is like to not like where you live. It's not that Hartford is a bad place, but the real issue here is that you need a change. If your dream is to relocate continue to plan to make it happen. As for the salary, well, the pay out here tends to be a little lower, but so is to COL. In any event, I wish you well.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM

214 posts, read 401,522 times
I understand wanting to leave the Northeast, especially now that the cold weather is on the way. I would never go back North. If the economy was better, I would say go for it. We left NJ for NC in 2004 with no jobs, but had money from the sale of a home as a cushion and times were better. DH had a job the same week we moved.

I would say hold off a little and put some more money aside. In the meantime, get your resume out to the headhunters and see if you can't get something lined up first. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:48 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well right now my salary is $69K. I would hope to land a job that pays at least $62K or even $60K in Phoenix.

By the way, should I be scared of things like dust storms, monsoons or scorpions? Or is all that stuff overexaggerated? Also, what about the supposed lack of water supply? And is the crime, drug cartels and illegal immigration really that bad? Would it impact my daily life?
I understand why you would want a salary similar to your current one, but with the COL so much lower here you can lead a similar lifestyle for much less. I'm not saying accept $30 K or anything, but just keep an open mind when job searching. Don't automatically discount something because it isn't quite as much as you were hoping for.

Dust storms are pretty much over for the season. They happen 2-3 months of the year and usually aren't quite as huge as that huge haboob that made nation wide news last year. Not a big deal. Monsoon is actually a welcome break from the heat, they cool the air down but also increae the humidity. Also only 2-3 months of the year, and not a big deal. Some large storms and flooding in the washes, but it is gone quick enough. I have never seen a scorpion, and live pretty close to open desert (the indian resevation). Water supply, don't concern yourself. It is not bad enough to worry at this point. No, crime will not affect you. Don't involve yourself in illegal activity and you will be completely fine. I have had no problems in that regard.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Because employers are not willing to invite someone for an interview if they are not local to the area. It's tough. But if I moved there first, then I would have an AZ address, and they would take me more seriously and maybe care to interview me. From my experience, I never hear back from job applications that are farther than 2 hours away from my current address.
[Theoretically]

ding! I hear the oil fields in the northern states have similar issues. You'll also run into this problem in Tokyo. Unless the company does background and drug testing, which is hit or miss in AZ, why not get a PO BOX, put down a fake physical address, and get a google voice phone # for this area? When they want to interview you, say you will be available so and so day. It will cost a little more, but it's better then chancing no job at all.

If you have no family bound to you, why not take the chance if you have money saved up? BTW though the COL is much less then NY, there are jobs out here that pay NYC and CA rate. No it isn't someone that needs a PHD or to be a CEO either. Though it's too bad you don't work for one of the big banks, you could probably transfer out here.

[/Theoretically]

Old 09-29-2012, 07:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
In this economy, you should never move anywhere without a job. My field is still strong, but I'd never think of doing that. Just because you have a cushion built up, doesn't make it a good decision to actually go through with it. You could be successful at this plan, but there is a high degree of variability. You could fail horribly, then end up taking a job for 1/3 less because it's what you can get, and be stuck here because you chewed up your savings.

I'd find a job first, then decide how to move. If you don't find one, then be glad you didn't move.

Also, to be honest, it seems that people from the northeastern 1/4 of the US have the hardest time adapting to things out here. It's basically the opposite from where you live. People see palm trees and mountains and think it's going to be paradise, but like anywhere else, there are challenges unique to the area, and those always seem to be the "gotchas" that people don't consider. For the wrong person, those things could mean the difference between enjoying the area, or hating it.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,786 times
Instead of hiring a moving company perhaps you can rent a Penske and a trailer hitch for your car and drive yourself? It would be far less expensive than hiring someone to do it for you which would allow for more time to find a job.
You have a master's degree in accounting so I would think you could find a job quickly.
I know it is depressing to be one place and long for another and that is why I move all the time myself. I have learned that the place doesn't make one happy, the relationships you make do. However, if you can't find internal happiness it is even harder to find happiness from external sources.....money helps though
I know some people that got a job from virtualjobs.com (I think that is what it's called). I know many people that work remotely for BofA- I think they are hired from a recruiter though.
One question.... Why don't you like Hartford? It was absolutely beautiful when I was there!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Instead of hiring a moving company perhaps you can rent a Penske and a trailer hitch for your car and drive yourself? It would be far less expensive than hiring someone to do it for you which would allow for more time to find a job.
You have a master's degree in accounting so I would think you could find a job quickly.
I know it is depressing to be one place and long for another and that is why I move all the time myself. I have learned that the place doesn't make one happy, the relationships you make do. However, if you can't find internal happiness it is even harder to find happiness from external sources.....money helps though
I know some people that got a job from virtualjobs.com (I think that is what it's called). I know many people that work remotely for BofA- I think they are hired from a recruiter though.
One question.... Why don't you like Hartford? It was absolutely beautiful when I was there!
I agree that Connecticut is a beautiful state. But it's lacking for a young, single gay guy like myself. Most of the guys end up moving to nearby NYC or Boston, which I refuse to move to, since they're super expensive. So my main reason for moving is for social/dating purposes. Plus, there is a lack of young people in CT. And a lack of attractive people lol. It's depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area