Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 7,932 times

Advertisements

I recently moved here from North Carolina (at the start of August) and I'm a *huge* fan of Halloween. That said, I want to introduce my foreign wife to trick or treating just for the fun of it. Not trying to hoard a bunch of candy or whatever, just want to get the experience for an hour or so, but the problem is I 1) Live in an apartment complex on what seems to be a somewhat seedy section (32nd & Indian School) of town and 2) I don't know if Halloween, or at least the trick-or-treating part, takes place only on the 31st or if there's some rule about doing it the weekend before here or something.

Now, I've read through some threads here on this and I just want to say if you have some negative "I don't give out candy anymore because everybody comes to my neighborhood" or something like that to say as I've seen, then please keep those comments to yourself. I'm perfectly capable of buying a couple of bags of candy for under $15; I want to show my wife the fun of dressing up and walking around saying the "Trick or Treat!" jingle in a safe place, so if you know one and the date of trick-or-treating please share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Adults going door to door trick or treating is generally not looked upon favorably in any neighborhood - good or sketchy. Most people consider that an activity intended for children.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:09 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
^^^Above is very true and in some areas could be dangerous as an adult dressed in costume. You may want to see if someone is having a Halloween Party at their residence or check into some bar/club that may be having a Theme Party for Halloween. Halloween should be on Wed the 31st this year.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:32 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Go to one of the Halloween black parties or bars for an adult experience. Door to door trick or treating is for kids

Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
When I was a freshman in high school I received many dirty looks when trick-or-treating. I cannot imagine the ire adults must face. If you came to my door I wouldn't give you anything.

I don't know what the culture is like here on Halloween. I've been here two years and have not seen kids trick-or-treating. No one came to my door last Halloween.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:13 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
I understand wanting to share that experience with her, but she could get some negative attention if she were the one soliciting candy. That said, perhaps you could borrow some kids & take them ( I've seen lots of dressed adults with kids in my neighborhood).

She might also enjoy dressing up & handing out candy - perhaps you've got a friend or co-worker in more family-friendly neighborhood who would let you take over candy duties?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Agreed, nothing upsets me more on Halloween then when I open the door and there are adults trick or treating. It is a event for children, not adults and your wife is likely to get more of a negative than a positive experience if you attempt this. Take her to a adult costume party or dress up and give out candy.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Agreed, nothing upsets me more on Halloween then when I open the door and there are adults trick or treating. It is a event for children, not adults and your wife is likely to get more of a negative than a positive experience if you attempt this. Take her to a adult costume party or dress up and give out candy.
Right. Let her experience trick or treating from the giving out candy side. Dress up in costumes, decorate your doorway to make kids feel welcome, and give out candy. There are things that people who move here as adults miss out on, this has to be one of them.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,932 times
Look at all of us, guys, we can't listen to a comment about negativity and we died when we turned 21.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzyaiyent Panda View Post
Look at all of us, guys, we can't listen to a comment about negativity and we died when we turned 21.
This comment is confusing. What "comment about negativity"? None of us "died", figuratively, at 21, but there is a time to "put away childish things", to borrow a literary reference.

Trick or treating is for children. I don't appreciate even teenagers, many of them who don't even bother with a costume, coming to the door. Adults? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area