Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,946 times

Advertisements

My family and I are excited to be moving to the Scottsdale/Phoenix area this spring. We are originally from the northern Virginia DC area but lived in Bristol, VA, for two years and loved the change of pace. We’re looking for a smaller town feel within one hour driving distance of Scottsdale. Our dream location is a friendly small town where the biggest deal is maybe a Walmart lol. We have three kids so we need a place with great schools, as well as a reasonable cost of living as we’ll most likely be renting at first and don’t want to live somewhere where a decent place is around $1200 a month. Again keep in mind we’re willing to live about an hour out, give or take. What cities would you recommend or not recommend and why? How are the people there? What is the job market like? Also, how does law enforcement treat people? Excessive ticketing and basically mild corruption was a big problem both where we’re from and where we live now in Kentucky and we’d like to move back to a place where it’s not like that.

I can’t think of anything else right now but is there anything else I should know about living there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
It seems like Gilbert would be the perfect place for you. Even though Gilbert has a population of over 200,000 (behind Scottsdale and ahead of Tempe), many parts of Gilbert still have a rural small town feel. Gilbert is within your specified commute time of one hour to most of Scottsdale (except for the far northern reaches).

Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Friendly small town? There really aren't any "small towns" except on the far outskirts. Older parts of Gilbert do have a more rural feel, there are similar pockets like that in some other areas.

Have you ever been here, at all, or for any length of time? You really need to come for a visit long enough to see if this is even close to what you want.

You know you are moving to Scottsdale, but you have no idea where your jobs will be? What's the connection to Scottsdale, if that's not where you will be living (and probably not working)? This is a VERY spread out place, with slow commutes in many areas.

As far as "how are the people?" "what is the job market?" "what is law enforcement like?" -- those questions are WAY too broad to answer. People are people, everywhere. Nice ones and not nice ones. Job market depends on what you are looking for. Law enforcement policies vary somewhat from city to city, I'm not sure what your concern is.

As far as "anything else you should know" -- read, read, read these forums. There is plenty of information here already. If you still have specific questions after you do that, ask away.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBound2013 View Post
We’re looking for a smaller town feel within one hour driving distance of Scottsdale. Our dream location is a friendly small town where the biggest deal is maybe a Walmart lol.
With a population of over 4 million people in the Phoenix metro area, there are very few areas that would meet your dream criteria, though you may find horse property or a somehwat rural feel in some locations. Perhaps Cave Creek if you can afford it. Suburbs, even somewhat sleepy ones like Queen Creek or San Tan Valley? Oh, yes. But small town? I don't think so.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:42 PM

357 posts, read 711,601 times
What about somewhere like Anthem? It's not a traditional small town but only has 30,000 or so residents. I'm not sure about schools but I think they're good. I know next to nothing about New River but I know it's smaller than Anthem.

The problem is most small towns outside of the Phoenix Metro area are not known to have good schools, and the small towns have mostly grown quite larger over the past 20 or so years. If you're looking for a Mayberry type place that's not the vibe here in the Southwest.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM

FYI, there are a few communities in south Gilbert that I think may be what the OP is looking for (i.e. the areas closer to the Queen Creek border). Such communities include Seville, Freeman Farms, Stratland Estates, and Power Ranch. These communities are located in desirable school districts (the Higley Unified School District and the Chandler Unified School District), and have a more rural feel than some other communities in Gilbert.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
Cave Creek seems to meet all your criteria except price, it is much more expensive than you are looking for. Great schools, though.

Anthem and New River are a bit further from Scottsdale but are much more affordable. New River is much smaller but I think either way your kids would attend Anthem Schools, which also score well.

While Queen Creek/San Tan Valley have more of a small town feel like you are looking for, the schools are not very good. Staying in southeast Gilbert would be a better option if you choose to live down there. South Chandler also has a lot of horse properties and bigger lots, so more of a rural feel, and Chandler schools are excellent as well.

Your biggest obstacle will be your budget, as good schools generally go along with higher prices.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post

While Queen Creek/San Tan Valley have more of a small town feel like you are looking for, the schools are not very good. Staying in southeast Gilbert would be a better option if you choose to live down there. South Chandler also has a lot of horse properties and bigger lots, so more of a rural feel, and Chandler schools are excellent as well.
The Queen Creek Unified School District isn't that bad; they were rated an "A" by AZED for two straight years along with the Chandler and Higley districts. However, some eastern parts of Queen Creek might be too far for the OP.

As for the districts in San Tan Valley (the J.O. Combs, Florence, and Coolidge districts), they could be better, especially the Coolidge district with has a "C" rating by AZED. However, anywhere in San Tan Valley will probably be too far for what the OP is looking for.

FYI, Freeman Farms in southeast Gilbert is divided between two districts (the Higley and Chandler districts, with the boundary at Ocotillo), and students on either side of Ocotillo can legally attend schools in either district as long as a parent, guardian, or the students themselves can provide their own transportation to a school in the other district. We live on the Higley side of Freeman Farms, and I wouldn't be surprised if many high school students in our neighborhood go to Perry High School in the Chandler district rather than Williams Field High School in the Higley district, since Perry HS is much closer to us than Williams Field HS.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 10-01-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
I agree, they aren't horrible by any means, but it's not worth the drive when there are better schools closer to the target area. Though with three kids and seeking somewhere under $1200/month rent within an hour of PHX/Scottsdale, Queen Creek may be one of the only places to find something so cheap. Anthem would work as well. Gilbert and Chandler tend to be more expensive than that, depending on the area. I'm assuming OP is looking for 3-4 bedrooms.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Go for Maricopa

By-the-way. Maricopa county has over 6 million people now.

Maricopa is not in Maricopa county.

Florence is another good choice.

Keep in mind you can live "IN" Scottsdale and still see an hour drive on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area