Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I guess you weren't reading the original poster's question. I wasn't asking why ANYONE would want to live there, but one spouse will be working in Tempe and the other in North Scottsdale, so I wouldn't want someone to move even further than where they already need to drive was why I asked. Now I know you didn't realize where they had to drive to.
Last time I checked South Tempe is no further than Gilbert to North Scottsdale. It actually is probably faster with the 101 access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Last time I checked South Tempe is no further than Gilbert to North Scottsdale. It actually is probably faster with the 101 access.
Except that the 101 going north is packed in morning rush hour all the way down to Guadalupe, sometimes farther south. It usually doesn't clear up till north Scottsdale. Gilbert would be just as bad because the 60 west in the morning is also packed. If the op decides to work at a hospital in the south east valley, south Tempe or Gilbert would be fine.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:05 AM

376 posts, read 490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
We are miscommunicating. I was trying to get them to move into Scottsdale. Midway between their jobs. One job-Tempe one job-North Scottsdale. So, I didn't want them looking anywhere in the East Valley at all.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:12 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
In the op's original question, his wife had not decided on Mayo, but it had caught her attention. I mentioned the new Banner Gateway Hospital in Gilbert which may be a very desirable place to work because of it's modern facilities, and especially since he asked about the east valley.

He can map out the location of the hospital and the location of his job location to see what would be equidistant. Google mapping is great for that.

I had mentioned The Islands because it is a very nice community and from the information that said he will be working in Tempe, (but not knowing the exact location) that appears to be an area that may be equidistant and could possibly fit their needs. The home prices there do fit into their stated range, and the community fits their stated family oriented and good schools needs.

Bill

Old 12-23-2007, 10:52 PM

6 posts, read 15,624 times
Thanks all for your responses. Here's an update on what's happened. We took a trip out there and liked it. So, the details were completed with my employer and we're set to move out in Feb. House shopping trip is scheduled for early Jan.

FYI, my office is south of Papago. Wifey has taken a position at the Mayo on Mayo Blvd (not Shea). Even though we'd love to have a home located in between our two employment centers, it's not reasonable for what we want (5 bed, 3 car garage, pool, 2500+SQ FT). Since I have a typical 5-day per week work schedule...and the wife's is 3 days (2 during the week), we're favoring locations closes to my office in Tempe. There are a lot of homes that fit that bill in Chandler and Gilbert. We're used to the drives...(hers is 45 min now and mine is 30-35 min). Homes we're checking out are 15-25 minutes for me there and 30-50 minutes for her.

We're not looking at the homes outside the 202...that'll be just too far for her. Plus, I'd rather be in a more established neighborhood this time around.

I'm familiar with greatschools.net...does anyone else have any other school resources I can use to check out and compare schools?

Finally, anyone have any thoughts on the Andersen Springs neighborhood in Chandler or Settlers Meadow in Gilbert?

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70-DropTop View Post
FYI, my office is south of Papago.
What do you mean, "south of Papago"? I'm assuming you are talking about the series of office parks north of the 202 and south of Papago Park, by Washington/Priest, right? Are you sure living in Scottsdale is not an option for you?

Old 12-24-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks all for your responses. Here's an update on what's happened. We took a trip out there and liked it. So, the details were completed with my employer and we're set to move out in Feb. House shopping trip is scheduled for early Jan.

FYI, my office is south of Papago. Wifey has taken a position at the Mayo on Mayo Blvd (not Shea). Even though we'd love to have a home located in between our two employment centers, it's not reasonable for what we want (5 bed, 3 car garage, pool, 2500+SQ FT). Since I have a typical 5-day per week work schedule...and the wife's is 3 days (2 during the week), we're favoring locations closes to my office in Tempe. There are a lot of homes that fit that bill in Chandler and Gilbert. We're used to the drives...(hers is 45 min now and mine is 30-35 min). Homes we're checking out are 15-25 minutes for me there and 30-50 minutes for her.

We're not looking at the homes outside the 202...that'll be just too far for her. Plus, I'd rather be in a more established neighborhood this time around.

I'm familiar with greatschools.net...does anyone else have any other school resources I can use to check out and compare schools?

Finally, anyone have any thoughts on the Andersen Springs neighborhood in Chandler or Settlers Meadow in Gilbert?

Thanks!
Congrats on making a decision. South Scottsdale would be a shorter commute to your work, if you take Galvin Parkway, and I've seen some really nice remodeled older houses selling there for less than they're worth (I saw one house listed for around $300K, 5bed, marble floors, beautiful remodel), but Gilbert or Chandler are great places to live as well, and I think that their public schools are better than Scottsdale (I went to public school in south Scottsdale, but live in Gilbert now). There are also a lot of charter and private schools that are great in the southeast valley. Whatever you choose, good luck.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:56 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Sounds pretty good. But did you actually time her drive from an approximate location? I'm thinking it may be longer for her. Her job is way up in N. Phx/N. Scottsdale. From those who live in the southeast areas they always chime in and say it's super long from there to the northern areas of Scottsdale.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Sounds pretty good. But did you actually time her drive from an approximate location? I'm thinking it may be longer for her. Her job is way up in N. Phx/N. Scottsdale. From those who live in the southeast areas they always chime in and say it's super long from there to the northern areas of Scottsdale.
Except that he said that he's working 5 days (weekdays) and she will be working 2 weekdays and 1 weekend day. The weekend drive won't be bad, and 2 days of bad driving isn't awful, especially if her shift starts and ends outside of rush hour.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:23 AM

149 posts, read 454,465 times
Quote:

I'm familiar with greatschools.net...does anyone else have any other school resources I can use to check out and compare schools?Thanks!
I've always liked this site: http://www.schoolmatters.com/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area