Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM

149 posts, read 533,407 times

Advertisements

We were told that the header above our patio sliding door is sagging to the point where it rests atop the upper track of the sliding door. The sliding door now drags under the weight. And, scraping marks can be seen on the under-side of the top track.

Recommendations on contractors who have good track records with this type of repair would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM

80 posts, read 289,265 times
I was told the same thing about our sliding door. The company was Phoenix Sliding Doors. They want a lot of money to fix the door. I passed. I plan on getting another estimate from another company. I hope they were wrong.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 PM

Very interesting. That was the company that told us about the sagging. And yes, the quote they gave us was quite high. I'd appreciate if you could keep me posted on what you find.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:59 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
I've been a contractor for years in Oregon and installing a header for a slider is no big deal. Even a relatively knowledgeable handyman could do that. It's messy for a day or two but it's not a tough job. Any reputable contractor should be able to do that job without much problem.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:01 PM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,464 times
It will be a little messy for sure. Your drywall on the inside will be nailed to it, so there will be some drywall repair. Chances are your house is stucco, so all the stuccco will have to be cut or chipped out to get to the header. So you have a stucco repair job. If the door is in a load bearing wall , it should be shored up while removing the header to prevent more sagging, or even worse. If it wasn't for all that it would be an easy job!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Maverick and Slowesthand - Thank you all for taking time to response.

So, should we be looking for a remodeling contractor or a windows/door contractor?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,681,551 times
it's quite likely it can be done without a stucco repair.

Personally, I'd try to separate the trades - if you call a "remodeler", they're going to either sub-out the drywall repair & double the cost, or you'll get a "jack of all trades" doing a mediocre repair.

If you can find a framer or a window guy for the door/header replacement, I've got an excellent drywall/texture guy who can make the repair nearly impossible to detect.

The replacement door will be the wild-card as far as cost - you can pay $300-$2k for just the door.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,602 times
SW Patio Door repair is who we use. 602-404-7549. I believe Russ is the sole proprietor that does nothing else, so knows his stuff. He's given excellent service and very fair prices for our own, as well as the homes for which we do Property Management. He didn't even charge me extra to watch and ask questions . If the carpentry aspect is out of his league, he probably will be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,464 times
I'ts possible that you don't have to replace the door, if the top track isn't too bad. There is a chance that after the header is replaced, you might be able to drive a couple screws up through it , into the header, and take the bow out. Replacing the wheels at the bottom of the door is not too hard, and the parts can be found at home depot, or the like.
30 yrs in the construction business, I've seen 1000's of arcadia doors put in, there should have been a small gap between the door and the header, so your header must have REALLY came down, possibly from being too small to begin with.....I'm just sayin' !

Old 10-09-2012, 12:34 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,602 times
I messed up. The fellow who let me watch was from Sun Valley Patio Door Service - Dave Berg. Nice guy - 602-482-0605.

I'm told that SW Patio Doors has since merged with Slide-Right Patio doors, but I believe their number is the same. We have used them (SW Patio Doors) a few times as well and their prices were around the same as Sun Valley's last time we used them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: